Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Bali Hai

Don't get me wrong, I actually love my job. I know there are guys out there cynically rolling their eyes, saying 'Yeah, right!' but it's really true. Sure, there are times when I desperately need that booster shot of caffeine and there are those sweet rainy mornings when I pray for another two hours of sleep - but overall I find that I like going to work. I like getting showered and getting dressed for work in my shirt and tie. :) Like clockwork ( apart from being on-call ), I get up at the same time in the morning and clock out at almost the same time daily.

Unfortunately, the sheer monotony and drudgery of work can wear down even my enthusiasm. The lousy hours, the sleepless nights and the workload does add its eventual toll. Factor that in with the oddly Machiavellian politics at work ( more on that later ) and sometimes there is just this overwhelming need to leave it all behind. Run as far as possible, leaving every single trouble and problem at the office behind. Sure it's childish, sure it's irresponsible but oh, it's just so invigorating.

One of the places on my list for a short jaunt over in the weekend is Bali. I know most people would think of the beaches, the temples and the nightlife and I do think of that too. But I'm also thinking of shopping :) Wooden carvings, masks, furniture!

10 comments:

Sven said...

We have very different careers, but share the same sentiments for our jobs. Mine never get monotous though (really, not kidding), but Bali is too far away -sigh- taking a cruise to Finland isn't really the same thing...

Sven said...

Sorry Paul, but I have to ask you to go to this blog and give this sweet little guy a boost if you can.
http://thoughtcubed.blogspot.com/

savante said...

Your job doesn't get monotonous?! What are you doing? And actually I liked Helsinki quite a lot. I think it would be a great place to live in :)

Paul

savante said...

Sven, you placed my stories in your favourites.. you deserve a big wet kiss. :) When are you gonna get off your butt and write your blog? I've been waiting!

Paul

Sven said...

Helsinki, or Helsingfors in swedish (Finland was colonized by Sweden from early middle ages to end of 18th century), is a great city, and I'm going there this summer with my nieces. But the cruise there, and there are plenty of them between Stockholm and Helsinki, is horried. Lots of people take them just to get drunk and buy tax free. Typiclly something all the ladies from Accountance would do together, if you get my drift.. Sometimes there are organized gay cruises as well, and still I have a feeling it's like the ladies from Accountance going all over again..

Ah, you checked me out.. ;P Might be a trend, a hunk of a guy (fire fighter AND ski instructor) checked me out yesterday (felt good) :-) Yeah, there not a lot of checking out happening at my work, so I have to savour the moments..

I co-ordinate international development co-operation projects (in short), presently in Sri Lanka and Gambia. Might have a stop over in KL in May, but that's not fixed yet.

big wet kiss - hold that thought.. ;)

savante said...

Wait a minute, tell me about the hunky ski instructor/fire fighter!

I don't understand how you can be in Sweden where the hot guys are born - and not get a lot of happenings in your life :) Maybe you should go on that gay cruise where they get drunk and buy tax free goods.

Hey, have you been to Russia? Isn't the port of Riga close by? I absolutely loved the Matrushka dolls that I got the last time.

Paul

Sven said...

I'll be going with gay hispanic friends to S:t Petersburg this summer (one of them speak russian), but Riga, capital of Latvia, isn't far from either Strockholm or Russia. They don't care much for russian culture over there though (might be that long occupation they ridded themselves off a few years back..)

I will take my nieces to Helsinki this summer as well. They are 17 and 18 y/o, and it will be a blast (we are really very close in a non-parental way) and all the boys in Helsinki will gather around them, as they are very cute. ;)

I work too much, that is the root of not much happening in my life, man-wise. Good thing I love my work, eh? ;)

The hunky ski instructor/fire fighter, Magnus, well what can I say, he is just as hot as you picture him in your imagination. Alas he lives 600 kilometer away, and us meeting was - yeah you guessed it - work related.

Sven said...

I don't need a blog, I need a Forum, or so it seems.. :)

savante said...

For a hunky firefighter named Magnus, 600 km is but a stone's throw away :)

AH, St Petersburg, I wanted so badly to go there but I didn't have the time. Tell me if it really looks as great as it does on film. The Hermitage... ah!

And hey, if the cute guys flock around your lil nieces, I bet you'd be able to cull a few from the flock for your own :)

Get that blog running!

Paul

Sven said...

And hey, if the cute guys flock around your lil nieces, I bet you'd be able to cull a few from the flock for your own :)

That's the plan ;)

We are going to S:t Petersburg, since one of the guys want to prove to us that it really is as great as it's made up to be, but I'll let you know..