Sunday, March 13, 2005

Gym bunny

It wasn't a very bad on-call yesterday so I decided to take up Yummy Yee's invitation to the gym. And what a huge mistake it was.

God, how did I get these great abs?Sure, I do lift weights at home once in a while, do some push-ups and the occasional evening jogs - avoiding screaming cars and packs of mad dogs all the while. Keeps me somewhat fit and tight but it certainly doesn't compare with grueling gym work. The muscle aches and pains were bad enough, and I think I pulled some muscles I never knew I had before. It's going to take a week or so before I can walk without stifling a groan over my creaking joints and aching muscles.

Oddly enough, part of the time I felt really stupid running on a treadmill, wishing that I was anywhere but there. For some reason, I hear of people achieving some kinda zen meditation state while running but all I could think of while running was that luscious Big Mac I'd be having after.

Yet at the same time, I had to look at the other gym bunnies and watch enviously. Sure, there were other guys like me, average guys obviously misled by some well-meaning friends into the gym, but there were the usual dedicated gym bunnies too, serious-looking guys huffing and puffing away like pregnant ladies at a Lamaze class, whose bulging biceps looked larger than my calves - and quite ready to easily lift a car. They looked as if they spent their days doing nothing except looking hot in tank tops, drinking protein shakes and doing reps on the machines. How the hell did they get that way? :)

It certainly comes as no surprise to me now that Yummy Yee has washboard abs with that blind dedication to pushing himself with monstrous machines to a glowing sweat. Yeah, boys, he looks great all sweaty and wet. Pity he seems straight though since I caught him surreptitiously eyeing some girls going by.

4 comments:

Sven said...

Why did YY ask you to come to the gym anyway?

Anonymous said...

I think the zen meditation state of mind achieved by running is just a rumor started by fitness club owners to lure us into their web. In my opinion, "runner's high" comes from lack of oxygen.

As long as YY didn't openly laugh at you, I think his invitation is a good sign.

savante said...

YY laughing at me openly? He wouldn't dare! I can be a really mean gay man :) One laugh and he'd be face down on the mat with my feet on his neck.

Why did he ask me to the gym? To torture me, I'm sure.

Paul

Sven said...

What's an aruana?