Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Missed appointments

Working in a hospital has its own perks ( what perks! ) and its downsides like every job. One of the major downers about being a doctor is the understaffed departments, odd hours and the ever-changing schedules. There are times when I can't make set appointments and dates since invariably something comes up at work. Planning for a long leave is simple enough for me - just a matter of placing my name in the allocated diary - but actually getting time off is something else entirely. There are all sorts of impediments... always the occasional medical education course, the various general meetings we have and of course, the odd chance that my hapless colleagues might fall into absentia. And as I'm the person in charge of the lot, it falls to me to make things right. :(

So there are times when I can't make it for dates. There will be times when I'll be horribly late - the food will grow cold and the waiter will start tapping their feet in impatience. There will be times when despite what I've promised, I have to call at the last possible moment to cancel. There will be times when I can't be there for someone I care about because I'm with someone else in greater need. There will be times when I'm so exhausted and depressed picking up the phone's quite a chore even! There is no whining involved in this since it's one of the pitfalls of the job I've taken, I hate that but I can't help it.

So to everyone who has made a date with me and gotten screwed over badly by me, I do apologize heartily.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about it, Paul. You're worth waiting for. ;) (To steal a line from one of your own stories.)