Friday, April 29, 2005

Borders

Everyone knows I'm obsessed with reading - and books have always been a part of my life, filling up every second and minute of my day, and obviously every nook and cranny in my house too :) Used to drive my friends crazy when they came by since I'd be found with my nose buried in the book most of the time. Every moment of the day, you'll find me with a book by my side, either embedded deep in my voluminous white coat ( also great for hiding the occasional candy bar, the stethoscope and even condoms :) - it pays to be prepared! ), or perhaps somewhere hidden in my backpack.

So it was with some glee that I greeted another big bookstore opening its doors, just a stone's throw away in Kuala Lumpur. Sure, I know I'm supposed to support the friendly little neigbourhood family-owned bookshop instead of the large, soulless corporation-run book chain ( ala You've Got Mail ) but what the heck, I'll take my books anyway I can. A Borders Bookstores is opening 60,000 square feet of books over here and it's gonna be great!

After all, who knows I just might meet the cute, bespectacled, intelligent hunk of my dreams over at the gay fiction section.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Borders has a gay fiction section? It's all jumbled together in mine. Maybe I should drop a note in the suggestion box.

Angie said...

The gay/lesbian fiction section in my Borders is itty bitty and it's thrown smack dab in the middle of the 'Literature' section. And Lord, it's the most confusing section in the whole frickin' store. I was looking for, 'The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty' by Ann Rice and the ever helpful Borders employee pointed me toward the 'Literature' section. So, off I went and I actually got a headache, it was so disorganized and well, it just didn't make any sense. But there was 'Gay/Lesbian' fiction, it was right in between the 'Poetry' and the 'Literary Criticism' sections.

~ Aimee

Sven said...

After 13 years as a book shop assistant, I'd suggest you go cruise the arts sections instead. otherwise, check out the staff.. ;)

Anonymous said...

lol. Sounds like a rather good plot for a story instead of real life :) *goes to local amazon store*

savante said...

Just found out that it doesn't have a gay fiction section... most of the gay novels are jumbled together in fiction which makes it harder to find. I know it's an attempt to de-ghettoize an remove the stigma from being homosexual but hey, I like a section of my own, please! It's so hard searching for books!

Paul