Saturday, April 02, 2005

Lazy saturdays

What can I say, I've been bitten by the decorating bug again!

During my trip to Penang, I managed to find my way into a few arts and crafts store - one of my hidden pleasures, I have to admit. It's also one of the things that bore my ISO to bits ( usually force him to move all the furnishings around while I stand and observe ) which is why I haven't done it in a long time. Perhaps I might not be great at the heavy stuff, such as the woodwork and the plumbing, but give me a brush and a stencil, and I can work wonders :) Inspired by the homemaking, interior decorating spirit of Martha Stewart, I purchased a set of paints and brushes to spruce up some of the furniture at home. Just take a look at her site! Doesn't it inspire one to stencil the walls, handmake sweet-smelling wreaths for the door and make a neat peg rack?

Just as I was about to set the gilt edge to a wooden stool, I had a knock on the door in the form of my mother - and a few guests. Why didn't it surprise me that my Machiavellian mother's guests included two lovely Thai girls of a marriageable age? Not intent on browbeating me on the marriage issue, she has decided to bring the matter straight to my doorstep, it seems :) Although she given them the perfect disguise as befuddled tourists, I have seen through her machinations. Contrary to popular belief, I can be the perfect host once I put my mind to it, and I even managed to flirt a little ( what can I say, flirting's fun ).

Obviously I added just a lil too much enthusiasm since they happily insisted on staying another night which has put an end to my plans for a decorating weekend :) Maybe they could help shift the furniture?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy people who have arts/crafts skills. My efforts never progressed beyond the second grade skill level.

I say get the girls to help you. You have two more sets of hands. Put them to good use!

savante said...

Thanks, Jason. Definitely no browns on the wall. :)

Anon, I should have taken your suggestion earlier. Damn, I sent the ladies home before I could get them to help!

Paul