Monday, May 09, 2005

Caffeine and chips

I'm writing this to remind myself to stay away from both caffeine and chips.

Ever since I started medical school, I've been downing gallons and gallons of caffeine. Not only for mugging in the lat enights but also to stay awake during some of the more monotonous lectures. it didn't get better once I started work since there's always a hot cofffee pot ready by the pantry for everyone working nights. Obviously the medical fraternity doesn't find it unethical to perpetuate this unusual addiction.

And then came the chips at work. Financed by my overzealous colleagues, the pantry's stocked with biscuits and chips, easily digested sources of quick carbohydrates. During the day, various ravenous beasts crawl out of the various wards and theatres to devour the food contained within.

Since I'm hoping to lose some weight this year, I'm trying to stop both habits!

6 comments:

Angie said...

I could say a fond farewell to chips forever but caffiene? Oh no, there's no way. Couldn't do it! I think I'd die. I absolutely LOVE coffee. I'd miss the taste entirely too much and if that didn't kill me the caffiene headaches certainly would. I'm a caffiene junkie and sadly, I think I'll stay that way :)

Xo,
Aimee

Jay said...

I hardly ever drink coffee except when I'm sleepy (and even then, it's more psychological than anything). But tea, hoo boy, I've picked up tea-drinking from the Brits in a big way.

grave_creek said...

ohhhh here on my little island where it usually is 30 degrees everyday of the year,drinking coffee would be a terrible mistake!! now im partial to frappucinos( had a taste abroad and am wanting more) ..but my addictive problem comes in the form of drinks filled with sugar!!! god theres just this thing about getting a quicker sugar high when its in liquid form but lets just say that it becomes dangerous after a while!!! haha im now trying to go cold turkey on that one but there are still days where an ice cold coke can just make your day!!

Anonymous said...

Oh cutting caffine is easier said then done my friend. I used to consume caffine like it was crack and I was the addict. Then I switched to non-caffine drinks and slowly weened myself off of it. But I drank one soft-drink one night and it threw me so hard out of whack! I was up for three days consuming whatever I could get my hands on. *hehe*

savante said...

Still gonna try cutting down! Only took one cup this morning which is a vast improvement - and I had to tie myself down to keep from reaching for another cup!

Paul

Anonymous said...

I went a whole week without any caffeine, and my friend is doing was doing it with me. I made it and I only messed up once. Gosh it was hard. My friend had to try four times before she got to six days. Tomorrow will hopefully be her last. It is a drug and it is really addictive. I love it and its hard to shun it. Why do they have to make almost everything bad taste so darn good!!