Monday, May 30, 2005

Dreams

Just had an early dinner with an old friend of mine that I knew back in school. It has been some time since I've spoken to him in real life since he has been away in a God-forsaken jungle outpost island studying medicine.

One of my peers, Shaman Sam abandoned a fledgling yuppie career in a pharmaceutical giant to pursue a vocation in medicine. It seems that while I was playing with tow trucks and paper planes, Shaman Sam had entertained thoughts of wielding a stethoscope and ordering young women to strip for a physical examination - although I would assume that his intentions in that direction has more altruistic purposes nowadays :)

Still he never really let go of his childhood dreams and as always, such stubborn singlemindedness always commands respect from me. I wouldn't say that I had dreams of becoming a doctor, seriously never even thought of such a thing. Sure, I always though that doctors looked cool in their white coats - and medical drama, ER certainly looked fascinating with all that blood, gore and excitement. But I never imagined joining them. I imagined ekeing out a living as a struggling writer/artist in a miserable garret on the Left Bank. I thought of selling books and antique curios in a small store in town.

Blood-drenched


Seriously never imagined that I would be doing what I did last night, performing chest compressions on a road traffic accident patient while drenched in blood. :) Of course unlike Goran Visnjic, I was wearing an apron and a mask - and I sure as hell didn't look that good covered in bodily fluids.

9 comments:

Sven said...

So how did you end up being a MD?

Sven said...

OOC - have you seen this blog? - http://rebelcode.blogspot.com/

grave_creek said...

ummmmmm...... well personally i always wanted to be a fashion designer!!!!! dont know, guess with my granny and mother both being dressmakers it seemed to come naturally for me to want to make dresses too!!!! needless to say i went into a ¨barbie¨phase where i would be creating clothes for them out of scraps of fabric!!! ummm wonder if it was my gay tendencies rising to the surface at an early age!!!

Jay said...

Doesn't matter that you don't look like Goran when you're wearing blood - it's still cool that you save lives in public! I mean, gosh, how cool is that?!

savante said...

I fell into being an MD. It was a trick, I tell ya! :)

But Jay, wouldn't it be cooler to look like Goran and save lives?

Paul

Anonymous said...

Thank you!
[url=http://xdpdbdtb.com/fzwz/osoa.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://inlfjmoc.com/fruw/iiww.html]Cool site[/url]

Anonymous said...

Great work!
My homepage | Please visit

Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://xdpdbdtb.com/fzwz/osoa.html | http://hsxtaetz.com/fcoe/mkxf.html

Anonymous said...

i always want to be a housewife. but in this case, a househusband :)

aj