Monday, May 16, 2005

Getting personal

Sometimes it seems like everyone's falling in love. Once in a while, we hear of couples meeting online - and some of them even getting hitched ( amazingly enough! ). We hear rumours of romance blossoming in the anonymous, intangible world of the net and sometimes I start to wonder whether it's one of those mysterious urban myths - that always seem to happen to your ex-boyfriend's neighbour's friend.

Obviously I must be doing something terribly wrong in my ads since I get the weirdest responses. Not only do I get cute blond twinks from the odd Eastern European country asking for financial support ( come on, do I look like a sugar daddy here? I can barely support myself, and sometimes I wouldn't mind having a sugar daddy of my own! ), I also get the odd request to join in wild, kinky orgies held in seedy areas ( are they really serious? ) with some questionable, possibly illegal sexual practices. I'm certainly not a prude - and my ISO can attest to that - but I feel I need to know at least your name ( whether real or assumed ) before we screw around.

In return to my admittedly verbose letters, I get replies that are the new millenium equivalent of a telegram. Come on, has everyone forgotten the lovely art of letter-writing? Monosyllabic words in a short, succinct sentence does not a letter make, no matter how sexy the writer might be. Tight pecs and great abs does not necessarily compensate for a nice letter of introduction ( well, not always! :) ).

6 comments:

Jay said...

Guilty your honour.

I'm ashamed to say that in most cases, if their pics are nice it really doesn't matter wtf they say. A lengthy intro will not lure me into bed if I'm not already gagging to jump into it with you.

In fact, in my experience the longer the correspondence, the less likely it is that we'll be shagging.

Yup, online dating - it'll be the ruin of us all I tell ya.

savante said...

I'm no saint but a great pic can only do so much :) Mind-blowing shags are wonderful but I'm not looking for only that. I need someone I can confide in, someone who'll bring me bowls of hot soup when I'm sick, someone with the semblance of a brain... God, do I sound like a whiny woman? :)

Paul

Jay said...

Not a whiny woman, but if your opening gambit tends to be "Will you bring me hot bowls of soup when I'm sick?" rather than "Wanna fuck?" then I'm beginning to see where the problem is! :-p

Anyway. Sites like Gaydar are like friends you only go clubbing with; good for a good time, but rarely suitable for anything more meaningful.

It can happen - some of my most enduring friendships AND relationships materialised here - but by far more common have been the guys who've simply cum and gone.

It's a vicious cycle. Guys go online looking for sex because they know other guys are also online looking for sex. That's simply the prevailing agenda in the gay internet.

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing, you understand :-p But hot soup, ah, that's hard to find round these parts.

savante said...

Ah with instant soup, now we just need to add hot water to make soup!

Paul

grave_creek said...

oi!!!! whats with all that bad spirit??huh?? common ,im sure its just the caffeine craving thats getting to ya!!! do not despair ,you romantic!!!
ps: ohh i feel the same about the needing someone to be there and caring for you when youre sick.. i think that dying alone is the greatest fear that all gay people feel...well i surely do!!

kayespot said...

In return to my admittedly verbose letters, I get replies that are the new millenium equivalent of a telegram.

it's true what jay said. it's a vicious cycle. I posted an ad with a nice write-up of myself, and never get longer than 2 sentence replies, if I ever get replies. :xX