Tuesday, June 07, 2005

An Indecent Obsession

Actually got tagged by Jay for this little book meme ( BTW, what is a meme! ) - and like the obliging guy I am, I filled it out. Those who know me would know how obsessed I get when I'm reading. Hardly anything disturbs me when I'm in the grip of a new book, seemingly tied to the pages - and divorced to the rest of the world. It's a certifiable obsession.

How many books do I own?
Would love to say the numbers are nigh incalculable actually - and terrifyingly, I actually believe they might be. On a bad book month, I buy perhaps a handful of books - five at the minimum... and on an orgasmic day, I fill up several shelves with goodies from Amazon, Acmabooks and the jaunt to the local bookstores. So that comes up to a few thousands at last count and I keep them all in a room, in boxes and shelves - and also in the kitchen, in the living room, in the car, in my bag, in my coat...etc.

Get me something to read please!


The last book I bought
A Dangerous Thing by Josh Lanyon. A gay whodunnit - and that's all I know about it. Well, not sure whether it's a good read since it's still at the bottom of the new pile but I'll be going through it tomorrow at work.

The last book I read
Well, that's got to be Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Interesting enough to last me a day :) As a lapsed Catholic, it was interesting enough to see the act of choosing the next Pontiff - especially with recent events.

Now reading Haunted by Kelley Armstrong from her Otherworld women series. What if your neighbour was a witch? What if your co-worker hunted the night with fangs bared? This series tells them all.

Five books that mean a lot to me
Well, this is actually a difficult one... I can't possibly limit myself to five books. That would drive me insane. The first few books that come to mind are usually stories tinged with romance since I'm a sucker for those. But if I had to choose at random with a proverbial gun to my head...

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Have to admit, it's an odd choice but it's one of the first real unabridged novel that I read - and I've loved it ever since. One of the evergreens that I pick up now and again to revel in. Four incredibly different sisters growing up together during the American Civil War.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Another old favourite that I've always loved. A timeless plot that has been remixed and rewritten time and again. And why not? The tale of the four Bennet sisters - and especially the brilliantly written Elizabeth - in their search for marriage and love ( hopefully hand in hand ) during the English Regency. And who could possibly say no to Mr Darcy? Or even all the other old-fashioned heroes dreamt up by Austen such as the deliciously stiff Mr Knightley in Emma.

Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling
While I certainly don't mind fantasy series that drag on into a million episodes, I do mind if they all have horrible endings. Sad endings are a drag, and I hate them. Fortunately, the boys in the series get the happy ending that they deserve - for now. Sword and sorcery with a great dose of political intrigue in this series set in the Three Lands. Unlike other stories, both Seregil and Alec actually don't possess any particular powers, magical or otherwise - both are charmers, conmen and thieves. And intriguingly enough, they are madly in love/lust with each other which gives it that little romantic twist that I always look for in a book.

Venetia by Georgette Heyer
Just a sweet lil romance by the Queen of Regencies... and I have to admit one of the wittiest stories around, bubbling with humour and sarcasm.

Kate Plus Ten by Edgar Wallace
A conservative copper falls for thief extraodinaire he's after. One of the first mysteries I read by Wallace. You always remember your first, after all.

Five more people to tag
Sven
Raphe
Jason
Drew
grave creek
So guys, tell us what you curl up with when it's late and cold at night ( something other than a hot, hard man ).

4 comments:

Sven said...

*ouch*

Anonymous said...

I love Pride and Prejudice. I used to read a lot of Austen, but now am consumed with modern fiction.

Check out the BBC mini-series as well, it's really brilliant.

savante said...

Thanks, Asmadi. Have actually seen the miniseries too... but I still loved Darcy played by Laurence Olivier decades ago.

What's a meme!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Let me know what you think of A DANGEROUS THING once you get around to reading it. Great blog, by the way. (I'm a big fan of Mr. and Mrs. Smith too.)