Thursday, June 30, 2005

Paying bills and creaking knees

I must have made some mention before in the blog on this. :) Paying bills plain pisses me off. Not only do I hate doling out cash to pay, I also hate waiting in neverending queues waiting. And snce I'm the man of the house, so to speak, I have to pay for the house, the car, the electricity, the water, the cable, the phone... etc. The bills never seem to end.

Sigh!But it does make you think about life. The first time I paid my bills ( not too long ago I'm afraid since I was in med school for some time :) ), I felt so terribly adult about it. Paying bills seems almost like a rite of passage to adulthood - right up there with the graduation cap and gown, and the first paycheck - and yeah, the inevitable tearing of the condom packet before.. *ahem* But I digress.

Standing in the post office queue, I turned around for a look and realized, hell, I've actually gone and somehow turned into ... an adult. Looking into the faces of veritable kids with their punked up hair and skater dude outfits, I realized that I definitely wasn't the youngest there anymore. Not only did I pass the legal age of 21 years back, I've actually stepped into the somewhat respected company of older brothers and uncles ( hopefully a hip, dashing uncle! oh please, please, I am not asking for much!! ).

At work, I've actually been referred to as the registrar. Those who're not in the medical line wouldn't give a shit about that of course but it's actually a step up... Like the harshly closeted military, hierarchy in the medical world is closely adhered to for some reason. The step up comes with more responsibilities - and also creaking knees with the growing age obviously. And for a kid who's always been the youngest, it feels terrible :)

Damn. I feel like spanking Yummy Yee again for some reason.

A short note though to those who follow my stories, I added a little vignette for the Practical Magic story.

BTW, I hate smoking and I don't smoke personally but the pic tells you how I feel :)

9 comments:

Jay said...

Bills - pah. I prefer OTHER rites of manhood, thankyouverymuch.

Out of curiosity, when did you tear open your first condom packet?

hbjock said...

Hey there, you know it's funny. When I started feeling old, it was because someone wouldn't even talk to me because I was older than 23 (he was 19)... then I started thing.. damn, when did I get old? For me, I have no probably talking to someone 18 or 19... because I guess I still feel like I'm 18 or 19.. weird huh? I can't stand to thik of a time when it would be wrong for me to even hit on guys who are 25-26... Yikes.. damn Mother Nature and her time clock!

hbjock said...

Oh!! Before I forget.. the clock on my blog shows the current time here in Honolulu =)

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul,
I know what you're talking about, my friends and I were discussing the same exact thing the other day! We've gone from carefree travelling, living from hand to mouth to having car payments, rent due, phones etc. God how did this happen to me? But at least I'm still hot! i just know one day I'll be one of the old ladies pinching the cute ordelies ass as he checks my blood pressure!
Glad you had a good wedding. :)

P.s. Your ISo sounds delightful, how do you keep off him?

Pluboy2 said...

hehe... u can always use online banking to pay ur bills.. hence no need to queue up.. and seeing uncles and aunties in their market clothes :P

:) then u wont feel old..
then u will feel er.. modern?

lolx...

i'm only 22 but i'm financially, emotionally, physically, mentally independant from my parents.. taking care of bills and bills and MORE bills on my own :P

Anonymous said...

Where is the vignette for Practical Magic? When I looked I only found the three chapters you'd already put up. Is the vignette inside one of the chapters? Or is it written but not posted?

Anonymous said...

hey...doc from malaysia eh? Medic student here...bumped into your blog...

savante said...

I'm past my sexual peak? Why am I so horny then? :)

My first condom? :) You'll have to come over here for me to whisper that into your ear.

I get my hands on my ISO - and then I recall other hands... that keeps my hands off.

Lucy :) That third part was the vignette!

Paul

Anonymous said...

But that third part is what you posted a week ago -- I know, because I went and gobbled it up as soon as I knew it was there.

I guess I'll have to keep looking forward to things. Coriander, for example.