Thursday, June 02, 2005

The State of Bachelorhood

Have been reading about a friend's recent homecoming - and the usual non-stop barrage of 'when are you getting married?' he received from his well-meaning but obviously misguided relatives. My sympathies! I believe getting the third degree about the perpetual state of their bachelorhood happens to be the rule for most Asian gay men - especially those who are somewhat closeted.

But just imagine this... I don't only get it from my relatives and friends, I also get a neverending list of questions from my staff. Yes, the diabolical nurses that I work with. It is almost inevitable that when a group of married older women ( AKA my nurses ) get together, they somehow seem to bond together ( despite their many differences ) over conniving matchmaking plans - and the very idea of a single, unmarried man in their midst is something to be universally decried. All available resources on their part is spent on unearthing every single female relative or acquaintance to bring to the poor guy's unwitting notice. Just imagine questions on your single state as you're placing a brannula into a patient's jugular vein! Tricky business trying to avoid probing questions at that time.

Since I had a reasonably free amount of time during my on-call last night, I received the full Turkish Treatment as they gathered around the counter with their litany of grouses. My nurses simply can't conceive how a reasonably healthy young man like me with home, hearth and a somewhat functioning car could possibly be single. ( Sometimes I wonder about that myself :) )

They have obviously missed the significance of the rainbow flag discreetly pinned on the lapel of my white coat. Perhaps I need a feather boa and a limp wrist to complement it.

6 comments:

savante said...

Yummy Yee would faint from the shock if I suddenly grabbed and frenched him.

Paul

Sven said...

That would be great Paul, that would give you reason to strip him for a full physical exam, maybe some mouth-to-mouth first (not needed, but for your pleasure). After that you'll prolly have to bring him back home to your place, just so someone is looking after him when he comes out of chock - if he ever does...

Jay said...

LOL sympathies received and much appreciated. Thank God it's over - at least, until the next trip back.

In return, you have my sympathies too. I don't work with women like that but I know the type all too well!

Say, maybe we should have met up when I was in KL. You could've helped me come out to my family, and I could've helped you come out to your colleagues!

Of course, it'd have been more in my favour: "Aiyah, no nice Chinese girl, at least got nice Chinese boy*. A doctor some more!"




* assuming you ARE a nice Chinese boy

grave_creek said...

hihihihihi!!! god jay you always crack me up!!! well paul it seems that these nurses do have an awful lot of time doing nothing!!!! lol!! wonder if theyre not actually lusting after yah??? these dirty old hags!!! lol!!!

'drew said...

According to old-fashioned Chinese beliefs, doctors are always a good catch...they have little time to go mucking around and generally like to stay home and they do rake in the cash...no wonder they're trying to hook you up with someone ^_*

savante said...

Well, Jay, I am a nice Chinese boy. Somewhat nice anyway.

My nurses lasting after me!? Eeeww.. gross.

Paul