Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Wild Man

The spectre of my course, and the insurmountable work load ( and the dull, monotonous studying/research! ) looms over me but I refuse to think about it today. It's much to depressing to think about my studies when there is a lovely Sunday ahead. Sundays are one of the days that I get away from work, from my responsiblities - and from everything bugging me actually... and laze around with a good book.

It actually amazed me that I never heard of this author before and when I decided to get her book at a whim, I found myself more than pleasantly surprised. I was in love with the Wild Man. The word bullfighter immediately brings to mind an image of a foolishly brave man, dressed in frilly laces and satin, and yet remarkably macho despite the surprisingly feminine accoutrements. This book plays partly with this odd paradox.

The BullfighterThe Wild Man, a book by Patricia Nell Warren brings us back to old, painfully conservative Spain in the 1960s, a country just out of a brutal Civil War, under the reign of an aging Generallisimo Franco. To be anything out of the common, especially a homosexual would be an unpardonable crime - and to be a homosexual torero would be unimaginable.

Trapped in a closet of his own making, the famous, aristocratic torero, Antonio Escudero, finds himself slowly sinking in a pool of loneliness until a brief chance meeting with Juan, stirs his cold heart. Juan, a lusty, gentle peasant youth, has a gift for healing and a burning passion to become the finest veterinarian. In an era of homophobic repression and persecution, the scandalous love affair between these two macho somehow finds a way to take root and blossom - just like the dry wilderness that plays such a large part in the story. The story is certainly imperfect, and unabashedly romantic in a grand old style - but hell, I like it. :)

Ah, old-fashioned romance. I'm a sucker for that. Just have a guy whisper words of endearment ( in some foreign language - hopefully Spanish :) ) in my ear and my knees go weak.

6 comments:

Sven said...

Paul, you complain about not getting to go this course, and then you complain about doing it? Did I get this all wrong, or do you have to make up your mind? ;)

..and then you write about romance, and if there is a man from the aristrocasy and a man 'of the people' involved, it sure is romance.. and then it's about a bullfigter, so I have to try get hold of it to read it myself. Ay, hombre, what you do to me!

Yogie Wogie said...

he's just confused...majorly confused...:)

savante said...

What did Raph say!? :) Translation please.

Sven, I know! I am a confused man! Go read the book.... it is terribly romantic.

Paul

Anonymous said...

affection, tenés that to take courses from Castilian if you like this language as much (but, I say to you that I prefer the Italian.) kisses!

Translated via Altavista's Babel fish :) Spanish->English

Anonymous said...

the translation is more or less correct. but, here it is again:

darling, you should take spanish lessons if you like this language so much. (but, i tell you, i prefer italian). kisses!

and you should take spanish lessons. it's easier to get closer to those hombres muy guapos if you speak their language, you know.....

savante said...

You are so right! I must start looking for a Spanish class soon!

Paul