Monday, August 08, 2005

Blue-collar hunks

Does an unglamorous job preclude romance? Read this interesting article today about women in Singapore who shun men with unglamorous jobs. It left me thinking - rather guiltily, I might add - about some of the things I have posted over here. Let me reiterate.

Don't get me wrong. :) I've talked about my plans of joining the Desperate Housewives club to slave over a stove, agonize over the perfect cushions and chase dirty, diapered babies. Hell, it's always been a quirky lil dream of mine. One would expect me to be in search of a sinfully wealthy man who'd be able to give me all that ( and I am, but let's not talk about that :) ). That would all be great of course but till Prince Charming drives over in his Lexus ( I wish! ), I am content to work my own wages and pay for my own bread ( with my woefully meagre wages ), thank you very much.

Chris EvansSitting around staring at the monitor all day ( the ECG, the pulse oximeter, the capnograph and all that jazz ) I realized that I don't need a man in a glamorous job. It doesn't really matter all that much to me. One of my best friends is a guy with an amazing brain - and a glamorous job but I wouldn't date him. God, it would be impossible living with a man who can never concede his mistakes. It would drive me crazy.

Sure... I want a man with a brain, not a brainless himbo but he certainly wouldn't need to be a genius. I want him to connect to me emotionally, mentally and physically. The job description doesn't really bother me. So even if he was a dispossessed karung guni man, I'd love him, warts and all. He doesn't need to resemble Chris Evans ( though it would be a major plus ), he wouldn't need to be a Nobel Prize winner...

Just as long as he loves me :)

God, I can be such a hopeless, dithering romantic. What a sap!

11 comments:

Zemien said...

Hmm... Hopeless romantic?

I second that emotion!

Anonymous said...

We all wants that gay or not... Even your ISO, although I suppose his own version of that would have some slight shift in the dynamic of things...

Perhaps one day he will come to his senses and realize that being a genuine slut is not the best way to live?

hbjock said...

Hmmm you know, I have to agree with you... It doesn't matter to me what a guy's job is.. it's the man he is on the inside that counts to me. I actually kinda think construction workers and blue-collared workers are kinda hot! And hell, a lot of them make more money than the white-collared brats do...

BTW, thanks for your compliments... oh, and about the pushups at camp, it's a form of discipline we use if the kids are totally screwing up on the field and not putting in their best effort. It tends to be pretty effective in turning the slackers into guys that really want to succeed.

Anonymous said...

awww...paul! that's so sweet!

i'm sure you'll find yourself a guy with über cute potential.

(cute potential is a term a friend and i once came up with to describe guys who, in the beginning, didn't seem so attractive, but who, over time, come to be the hottest things walking around. really, it just means that your attraction for a guy with cute potential grows because you get to know him better.)

Anonymous said...

I love that term, cute potential. Alas, unlike Paul, no cute potential is in sight for me!

*go looking for cute potential*

Will said...

I love the term too! "Cute Potential"!

I always held to the thery that cute guys can become such arseholes once u get to know them and their personality isn't as good as their faces, but ordinary guys can blossom into OhMyGod once you get to know them better.

We should add this into UrbanDictionary.com!

Anonymous said...

wingedman: i've just added 'cute potential' to urban dictionary.

savante said...

Whoa, sisyphus, you have a Lexus?

Cute potential! Raphinou, I love it.

Paul

Anonymous said...

wanting to love someone as much as they love you and vice versa is a very reasonable wish. Of, course, brains and wealth are a plus if those two traits haven't consumed the man in question.

savante said...

Right now, I'll settle for a man :) The brains and the wealth doesn't have to come with him.

Paul

kayespot said...

I want a man with a brain, not a brainless himbo but he certainly wouldn't need to be a genius. I want him to connect to me emotionally, mentally and physically. The job description doesn't really bother me.

that's very true!