Saturday, August 20, 2005

Chinese Opera

It's the 7th month on the Chinese lunar calendar - and that's a time for the wandering spirits to leave the netherworld to travel about to feasts held in their honour by their families. Feasts and celebrations are held to herald their return - along with the prerequisite entertainment. Just imagine Halloween and All Soul's Day - but for a whole month :)

Waiting for the next customer - from Dan Washburn's Shanghai DiariesA friend's e-mail - the Dashing Darrel - reminded me of the fact that I haven't been to a Chinese Opera in ages. Well, that's actually an exaggeration since the last time I went to one was about a year or two back. Back when I was a kid, I had a zany babysitter who was obsessed with operas and every Chinese festival would find me perched on a stool watching delightedly as the acrobats/actors dance their way across the stage. Dressed in their glittery, colourful costumes and their thick pan make-up ( far more elaborate than any wannabe drag queen ), they re-enact amazingly intricate storylines and plots, expressing a myriad of emotions with only a flick of their eyebrows or a twirl of their fingers.

These days of course, apart from paying attention to the convoluted script, I usually keep an ogling eye out for the sexy male actors. Trust me on this, they have the most amazing gymnast/acrobat builds ever since all that lifting, jumping and leaping around has to burn some calories... and though, they might hide it in their bulky, elaborate costumes.. there's always a backstage :) Just keep an eye on them when they come out for a cigarette break ( like my friend did ) and you just might be rewarded with some delicious eye candy.

Gotta find the time to go catch a few shows - in between playing around with my new laptop. Still trying to get a hang of the new tool :) Anyone with ideas on an easy to use graphic program? Just want to fiddle with some pics - kinda like what I did with my old Adobe Photoshop.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the Ghost Month affect your work in the hospital? I mean things like people’s attitudes to having surgery, or having relatives in the ICU or whatever.

I would love to see a Chinese Opera, but of course they don’t come here. Guess I’ll have to travel to the right part of the world. :o\

Thinking of your laptop (and the computer resting on it ;o) ) has Cute Techno-Hottie been round to fix you up yet? And how did Hui like his thong?

savante said...

Justin! We can watch together! I might not understand the teochew all that well but I can certainly enjoy thecostumes - and the theatrical drama.

ru, you should come over here now - and we'll take you. Then again, aren't you in OZ? You should have some Chinese people over there :) Giving Hui the thong on Monday - have it all wrapped up with a pretty lil bow. The Technohottie hasn't been by to set up my broadband yet but I did get a call from him - perhaps next week. Will keep ya updated.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Paul - if I were in Oz, I would have been on a plane and over to see you by now!

As it is, I live on a small island (rock) just off the west coast of France. Yes, we have a couple of Chinese people living here, but probably not enough to form an opera company. :o\

Will said...

OMG your friend took that piccie? HOT!

Need to find myself a gymnast/acrobat bf.

savante said...

An island off the west coast of France?!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Yes, one of the Channel Islands. We're British Crown territory, but have our own government independent of the UK. I was actually born in England (so yes, I have the accent ;o) ).

hbjock said...

I think Chinese operas are cool! We've had a few at the university's theatre that were pretty good.. although they did it in English.. and it was just too weird to hear English words in a Chinese operatic pattern... ugh... they should've done it in Chinese.