Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Prim & Proper

Damn I am mealy mouthed. Despite being just a tad mean sometimes and having the occasional irrationally permissive behaviour ( like groping men in the dark and accosting strangers at work ) I am actually surprisingly prim and proper. I see some guys laughing out there but it's true.

Reading what Wingman Will wrote on his last post, there were more than a few more varied, colourful swear words over there. And it surprised me that although I've heard all of them, I've actually never said them. Perhaps it's my strict, conservative upbringing *ahem* or my orthodox Catholic mission schooldays ( although in an all-boys, I've actually heard so many swear words that I'm generally immune to them ) but I've never even said more than the rare F-word and even that's in a mild sotto voce under my breath ). It comes right to the tip of my tongue and somehow unconsciously, I clamp down shut.

God, what the hell's wrong with me? Something Freudian?

Then again, I can say some pretty mean, cutting things that can be hurtful when I'm mad so adding swear words into the mix would be rubbing salt into the wound. But I wouldn't want to be thought of as a wound-up tightass/prissy lil queen so come first thing tomorrow, I'm gonna ream the hell out of the first person who gets on my nerves with a whole string of bad words.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perceptive guy, eh? Know just where to strike to wound? I shall have to mind my Ps and Qs then ... ;o)

savante said...

I can be so anal sometimes!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Stay away from Paul. Run! Everybody Run!.

I guess I didn't go to a good catholic elementary/junior high schools.... hehe. :-)

Petie said...

I know, for sure, that I can be pretty mean sometimes too. My only problem with that is I am not fast enough to come up with mean retort on the spot...

That retort usually came to me After I was out of the situation in which I required it... A darn shame but it might be for the best... Unless I know how to fight then it would be a real darn shame.

Anonymous said...

Paul, please don't let rip with loads of swear words! It's so refreshing to find someone who doesn't resort to a swear word every third word (whether through laziness or lack of decent vocabulary).

Actually, you'll find you can get maximum impact from just one or two well-placed swear words, if people aren't used to hearing you say them. :o)

And I was kinda counting on you having a tight ass. ;o)

Jay said...

When I'm with my folks I never swear. But away from them - I'm a fucking potty mouth.

It really does feel good to go nuts once in awhile though.

Anonymous said...

the other day, i said 'câlisse' when i was in the crypt of the notre dame basilica here in montréal.

as far as québécois swearwords go, that's pretty bad. blasphemous, even. (québécois swearwords are mostly church based; very few are bodily-function oriented.)

Legolas said...

I usually try not to get angry with others, and if I ever did, they were just mild ones compared to the normal anger scale. But people will get a shock because they never saw me getting hot before.

And I have the same problem as Pete, getting warmed up only after the matter was over. That's why they seldom see me mad.

Anonymous said...

I'd say good for you.

altho i've heard most of the swear words in will's blog, surprise, surprise, I never actually say most of them too. i'm more of the f-word person :D

Michael said...

As a fellow Catholic school boy, I have to say I'm charmed by your reticence.
I swear constantly in my blog writing, but almost never in my life.

AJ said...

In the famous words of ditsy cheerleaders~

BRING IT ON (Paul)!

lol... I'm can be super mean when provoked or otherwise

Joel said...

To this day I never curse at work, around my kids or my parents or in public. BUT put me in a gay bar and around my gay buddies and it is a fucking free-for-all! hehehehe.

Derek said...

Paul darling

I can so relate to you. I am like that too. Blame it on my proper upbringing.

Which is why when i spout any swear words, people will give that raised eyebrow look.

Though I'll rather not, most of the time.

Derek

decadence said...

If you're caustic enough you'd hardly need profanity lah. In fact, I think sometimes it ends up detracting from the beauty of a snarky remark. In certain situations, though, it really can "afford a relief denied even to prayer" =P.

Petie said...

Legolas, I am not slow to boil but almost instantly fumed on the spot :p But it seems that the raging rage did not help with my thought process to come up with meanful retort.

Which might be for the best since one of those times I was fumed by one of the teacher, although I was not in his class but I might get into trouble with the remarks I thought up later... (which involve about his uptight might resluts from lack of getting laid. Adding that he might get laid if he let the gf/wife open her mouth more than just blow him off :p)