Saturday, September 24, 2005

Some time-out

Nothing like a weekend break from it all. It has been a while since I've had some time to myself. Not only have I been working for the past few weekends, I've also been swamped by family, work and responsibilities :) Is it any wonder that I'm usually chronically sleep-deprived?

Today I rushed out to the bookstores ( well, the dwindling number of bookstores left in Malacca ) for the latest bestseller - or two! since I read like a crazed maniac with minutes left to live and I generally finish a good-sized novel in a day. Grabbed some grub ( actually a chicken pie or two that I heated up afterward ) and made my way home to hole myself up in my cozy, Indian-maharajah-inspired peacock-blue bedroom with my books. Placed my cellphone on silent mode ( sorry, you guys! ) and tuned out the rest of the world for a few hours.

A friendly warning to any future boyfriends :) Woe betide any man who dares come between me and a good book. Almost nothing moves me from my page ( other than the promise of good, sweaty sex of course ). Once I get started on a good book, I simply have to finish it. It becomes a fanatical obsession.

Let's face it... on my off days, I don't usually read Pulitzer-Prize winning authors ( I save that for other days ) as I take my regular dive into every other wacky, eclectic genre that I can find. One of the chick-lit books I got, Buddha Baby, was written by an Asian-American author, Kim Wong Feltner, and one paragraph near the end really hit close.

It talked about a guy's body odour.. seriously! How a Caucasian guy's scent is essentially different from a Chinese man's... Struck me as supremely funny - and oddly apt. Let's face it, when you sleep with a guy - and you spoon up halway through the night, you're bound to breathe in his scent ( totally unadulteralted and unmasked by the various colognes that we splash ourselves in ) - and everyone smells just a bit different - and it varies even more amongst the different races, I'm sure. Probably depending largely on the food we take regularly. Since I've probably gotten used to it, I wonder whether Chinese guys actually do smell like dim sum and Chinese take out :)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul,
Just came across you blog recently & I find your entries witty & funny. It's really fun to read your entries as a form of break from reading those super boring contracts/criminal law cases & accounting numbers.
From your previous entries, I think you make a good househusband (from your constant comparison to Bree van De Kamp, haha). Did I mention that your writing skills do remind me of Ms. Bradshaw (wouldn't expect this from a medical doctor) ??
Truly my choice of bedtime stories which I would be reading religiously.

savante said...

Jason, you have immediately made it to the top of my favourites list - and if you were single and gay, I'd marry you immediately :) A comparison with my goddess, Ms Carrie Bradshaw!! I'm humbled.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Totally flattered to receive your marriage proposal .. YAHOOO!:)

Anyway, keep up the fabulous job of constantly posting new entries, if time permits. I do realise that your work commitment IS demanding a greater portion of your time.

savante said...

A guy who responds promptly. And I recall that bit about reading law cases and accounts. Sounds so terribly good to the anal-retentive Bree in me.

God, you must be married :) You sound too cute not to be.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Married ? I thought I was just engaged to you !

HAHAHA! Just kidding. I hope I didn't just drained the colour from your face :P !

No, I am not married. Only married to my books :S, currently.

savante said...

Me scared of commitment? Sweetie, if you've read my earlier posts, you'd know that I've already planned the wedding right down to the colour of the cufflinks on your shirt. Give me a guy who's ready for a marriage and I'm there at the altar!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Fantastic. ;)
Like the meticulous Bree, I have absolutely no doubt that you are a long-term planner. Yummy-licious, haha!

jayandkay said...

I shall not interupt your conversation. (Ok, I interupted at this point). Keep it going boys... :)

Billy said...

That last part is interesting. lol I would say I should conduct a study, but 1) my b/f might be a little preturbed and 2) I might be labled as a slut. But hey, I know what the title would be: "Smells of Distinction; Taking a Whiff while in the Spoon."

loopy said...

will you guys stop it already, lol. i feel like a voyeur with you guys flirting back and forth. just exchange numbers and get it over with already, tee hee....

Anonymous said...

Wish I could read books that fast. Come to think of it, wish I could write books that fast! It would make my life a whole lot easier.

Anonymous said...

the chinese guys sitting next to me? I hope you don't mean the one in the hawaiian shirt, cuz he's an absolute ass. Except when he's drunk. Then he's twice the ass he is sober.

on the subject of cute chinese guys tho, i think the carlsberg ad where some guy gets an award and his buddies come (heehee) onstage with beer glasses to celebrate has a very yummy 'star' (for lack of a better word). In fact, i make it a point to be early for movies just to catch that ad, and drool.

And i just found out that a friend works in mph. more importantly, a friend with a staff discount! Whee!! Just bought a neil gaiman novel, and am buying the new one next week!! So excited. God...if only i knew guys to get as excited over.

Anonymous said...

Yes, according to my caucasian bf, we Asians normally smell garlicky and it is totally unpleasant to them. The thing is, we dun even notice it as we are so used to it.

Mr RM said...

Very interesting post..... but it seems the comments are even more interesting....

Hey.....I am also a bookworm, but somehow, unlike Paul, I have no time for fiction....

I guess, I am more the serious guy.. hee hee

savante said...

james, now I'm definitely gonna watch that ad again. I love Carlsberg ads btw.

Jason, write me. God, I am flirting on my blog.. how did I become such a slut?

A garlicky scent does sound right since most of the Chinese dishes have some hint of it.:)

Paul

savante said...

Totally forgot... about the flirting? What can I say? Jason said I wrote like ms bradshaw... how could I not love him?

Paul

Anonymous said...

Oooh... the Jason/Paul thing is actually hotter than the post :P

Didn't know chinese guys smell garlicky but I guess I'm immune. Personally, I find the strong dairy smell a little stomach churning...

savante said...

Yeah, but my crazy obsession with marriage must have scared Jason off :)

Weeshiong.. you don't like cheese and dairy!? Why? Just imagine Chris Evans dunked in milk and cheese... hell, I'd still do him.

Paul

Will said...

You should try Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty for some hot Pulitzer Prize-winning man on man action.

And yes, caucasians smell different from asians. I don't think it's got anything to do with their diet, I know a guy who's stayed in Taiwan for 6 years and he still smells different...more overt, somehow. Chinese guys smell more subtle...gosh I'm not making much sense.

Anonymous said...

Among Caucasians there is a wide variety of natural body scents, which I suppose is as much an inherited factor from family/tribal descent as body type, colouration etc. (I hesitate to use the word genetic, because that seems to be used as a catch-all answer for everything these days, but ... :o\ )

I imagine that there is a similar variety among Asians as well ... though it may be a completely different range from the Caucasian one. Perhaps I should try to find some Asian guys to sniff them and see. :o)

Michael said...

wingedman said, "I don't think it's got anything to do with their diet, I know a guy who's stayed in Taiwan for 6 years and he still smells different...more overt, somehow. Chinese guys smell more subtle...gosh I'm not making much sense."

OK, that totally made sense to me AND gave me randy pants.