Saturday, October 15, 2005

A more coherent view of Istanbul

Just returned from my vacation and still a little zonked out from the flight. Guess I'm not cut out to be a pilot ( unlike our Wingedman Will ) since I have this horribly painful recurrent middle ear problem, usually made much worse by my inexplicable predilection for developing colds in foreign lands. Think ringing - yet oddly numbing - sensations that take a few hours to disappear. Obviously I'm not the ideal air traveller but still I persist in pushing myself every few months towards the next exotic locale.

What can I say about Istanbul? I loved it. Succinctly put of course - in comparison to my earlier post that sounded quite incoherent - probably due to the mind-boggling Turkish keyboard ( configured with two Is and a smorgasboard of unknown letters ) and perhaps the raki I'd consumed generously. Not easy saying no to those terribly persistent... sexy, smouldering dark-eyed Turkish men.

More on dark-eyed Turks later :)

Surprisingly easy to get around the city - even though there is a minor communication setback since a significant number of the locals don't speak English, unfortunately for me. Still it was easy enough navigating with the help of a good map and a smile. Gonna compile my list of things to do as a stereotypical wacky tourist in Istanbul - which I'm sure my eminently hospitable friends at Istanbul can verify or refute :)

1. Stare in awe at the monuments at Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the amazing Iznik tiles at the Blue Mosque...
And of course buy the Iznik inspired ceramics later - like I did :)

2. Tour the Grand Bazaar and go hog-crazy over bargaining...
Gotta say I enjoyed myself there - especially since I went there practically every day :) Bought carpets, ceramics, paintings, bronzework, leather... I'm sure I got slashed a few times by the wily traders but heck, I enjoyed myself! The famed carpet merchants of the Grand Bazaar stand patiently by the their wares just waiting to descend upon unsuspecting tourists with their sweet apple tea - and their even sweeter smiles - and come on, how could you possibly go along and not come back with at least one rug!

And the leather... jackets so soft you could melt in them - and unfortunately too damned hot for my country.

3. Venture into the Spice Bazaar for a taste of Turkish Delight...
It gets to you. Really. The more you taste it, the more you'll start craving Turkish Delight - or lokum as they call it. Alongside the sweet confections... there's a plethora of spices, dried fruits, nuts and seeds piled up - filling the area with the fragrance of the exotic East.

4. Be awakened by the sound of a thousand muezzins in the early morning...
It might not be the morning call we're all used to but I have to admit, I enjoyed waking up to it during my vacation since time was on my hands. Wouldn't say the same back home though :)

5. Have a sip of Turkish Coffee...
Well, certainly not my cup of tea but when one is in Istanbul... and together with that you can try other specialties such as börek ( kinda thin rolled pastry ) and baklavas.

6. See the marvellously fascinating whirling dervishes...
And fall in love with the enthralling music of the Order of Sufism. Believe me, I bought a few CDs and it's as far as the usual jazz I listen to as it can get.

7. Get steamed at the Turkish baths!
Seriously! Everyone should have a go at this. Although I unfortunately took off my glasses and almost walked into someone's lap ( all that steam, you see! ), I totally recommend this unique experience.

8. Walk the streets of Istiklal Caddesi in Beyoglu...
And dance with a dark-eyed stranger. Without sounding too starry-eyed, what can I say? Turkish boys are amazingly hot - and I can assure you I'm not under the influence right now. Think smouldering dark eyes, glossy black curls, spectacular golden-olive tan... all wrapped up in a Middle Eastern delight. Oddly enough, Turkish wolfs travel in large packs... all guys, no girls ( a good number suitably cloistered at home, I assume ). Even on the streets, they are seen hand in hand.

Add that number of Turkish men walking about to the number of young Turkish policemen patrolling the streets ( a sinfully large amount in every corner! )... and it's literally raining men in Istanbul :) Hell, with all the good things I just said about the place, they should have let me take a cute Turk home!

11 comments:

Petie said...

So... Have you broke something else (like some men's hearts *wink* *wink*) along with your wallet?? :)

Anonymous said...

Could we get you to send John & James or My Marine to Istanbul...anything to get you writing stories again. Please. I can live vicariously through your blog, but I love your stories. :-)

Petie said...

I think the reason that men can be seen on the street more than women is because Turkey is still a Muslim country... Perhaps they do not allow women to stay out after certain hours?

Kenji said...

Oh wow... I'm even more jealous now... i never thought Turkey would be that fun... dancing with a hot guy too? >.<

Haha so nice to travel abroad... but unfortunately, i'm not a very travel-ly person! ;x

Anonymous said...

"I unfortunately took off my glasses and almost walked into someone's lap"

That's unfortunate indeed. It would have been more fortunate to actually sit on that lap :)

Jay said...

I had a mini fling with a Turkish man in my misspent youth and yes, they can be so bloody sexy. And reading this post makes me want to go there, like now (sans boyfriend)

-tiptoes out of room with suitcase leaving NM sleeping in bed-

I can't stand Turkish Delights tho. Ugh.

q said...

So glad you had a good time in Istanbul :)

Any holiday pics to drool over?

Anonymous said...

hey as a native turkish guy , i can say that yes we're "still" a muslim country but it's weird to hear that more men on the streets?!we always complain about too many girls on the streets and less guys for our viewing pleasure. maybe that's because of ramadan.and shame on you mister for not calling us! ;) anyway i added Bedtime Stories to our blogroll in Casual in Istanbul...hope to see you next time...

savante said...

well, pete, broke no one's hearts, I'm sure. I wouldn't call myself a heartbreaker at all. I do believe that most of the Muslim girls are cloistered at home though.

geoff.. thanks and you're in luck. I am getting inspired to write all over again. Have a small bit waiting to be edited.

kody, you're right. I need that damned calendar.. is there space for a wild orgy for all gay men day?

chris, go travel. It's great fun. Bring me along.

weeshiong.. i would die of embarassment if I sat on someone's lap :) Unless it was COlin Farrell's lap of course.

jay, you're so lucky to be so close to all those great places.. you can just hop, skip from London.

dmnk, will get the pics up soon.

istanbul... yeah, I missed seeing you guys and it was unfortunate. But hey, I don't think it's my last time there.

Paul

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had a fantabulous vacation in Turkey. :-) And thanks for the introduction to walking around in Istanbul But you intentionally bumped into someone, right? hehehe. Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

don't think the women were cloistered at home. that's not the norm in good old istanbul...especially taksim!