Sunday, October 30, 2005

Post birthday bash

Gotta say it. I'm a pretty lucky guy.

Not only did I get three cakes in a week, I also received a mild hangover as a birthday present from my 'thoughtful' ISO :) Obviously his idea of a birthday present - especially one approaching the dreaded big 3-0 - is to get so plastered with alcohol that you can't even recall your age. Dragged me to this little dive by the Malacca River that we frequent and downed several shots while counting down the number of guys we know who have been happily shackled to the bonds of marriage. Well, I counted down the number while my ISO regaled me with some of his more recent booty-shaking escapades. At the same time, he kept on surreptitiously signalling the waiter for a refill of my glass. Still I kept my head on straight and there was no repeat of last year's Chrismas fall from grace. Not sure if his nefarious plan worked but I can say that I'm feeling far less uptight today.

The cake came from my family who came down en masse this weekend to celebrate. Extremely large to fit the number of candles, made out of sinful chocolate indulgence ( surely enough calories to send Big Bicep Barry fleeing in horror ) and just enough to satisfy my large family's appetite ( or should I say family's large appetite... both are equally true BTW ). I don't mention it often - hell it would be so terribly sappy of me and though I might be a flaming fag, I actually don't do sappy - but my family always comes first to me. Since I am in a pretty competitive field, I always find some of my more ambitious colleagues staunchly advocating placing their careers before their families, before their marriages, before everything else in their lives. I just find that plain weird.

Working in intensive care, I have seen my fair share of death ( perhaps more but let's not dwell on that, shall we :) ). When a man is at the threshold of death there is no thought of his career or the paper chase, all he thinks of his loved ones - if any. On their deathbed, no one wishes that they'd spent more time at the office, everyone wishes that they could be at home.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Barry's biceps are big enough to satiate your large appetite... and perhaps the rest of your family's as well ;)

Anonymous said...

and what did you exactly do with your ISo in bed at that night??? Shigeki, think, think harder to imagine what was going on there..

I am so certain some people here in our country would love to die at the office not thiking of their families. Better yet, I work with one. :-)

Logan said...

A year ago, I turned down an offer that would have turned a career into my life. All fun and no play can make for a lot of lonely nights.

Happy belated, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

sinful chocolate indulgence sounds like we're back with those Mayanmar waiters (Dark and Delicious, heh).

Loving your family isn't sappy, it just makes you more hunky. :o) OTOH, if you have a family who always demands to be put first, sometimes you just want to say 'sorry guys, this time I'm doing something for me'. Bit of a give-and-take thing.

Are you going to do a post one day about people wanting to be at home when they die, and/or not wanting to die alone? Or would that be just too gloomy a subject? :o\

Kiks said...

Happy birthday, yo! Guys in their 3-0's are SO hot!

Hehe.

All the best from Vienna!

Unknown said...

Happy Birth Day! Hope you had a fantastic day! All the Love and all the best for the next year!

Anonymous said...

hehehehe.. cake, eh? kewl!

Anonymous said...

birthday parties are great. Now if we could somehow justify more reasons to have parties and celebrate, we'd be wonderfully happy people.

savante said...

Oh, weeshiong, his biceps are large enough :)

shigeki, we don't sleep in the same bed! I'm not a saint. I'd grab almost any guy in the same bed as me.

logan, you are so right!

Well, ru, I do see a lot of gloomy subjects at work that I can write about. Parents abandoning their kids... kids abandoning their parents.. single moms who have barely finished school... rape victims... it can get depressing. Sure you wanna hear about that? :)

lost, you're young! Don't think so much about paperwork.

thanks, kiks.

kody, you do need to spend time with your family :) It is important. Sappy though it might be.

thanks, picasso. Closetalk, I still have a few slices of cake in my fridge.

Brian, everyday should be a celebration. I totally agree but we'd all be happy ( and fat ) people.

Paul