Sunday, November 27, 2005

A Love for Rome

Just another lazy Sunday over here - well, as lazy as it can get after the early wedding lunch I was forced to attend today. Forced. Really. The arrival of one of those red wedding invitation cards is akin to a royal summons to arrive with cash in hand. The Chinese are as practical as ever. Wedding gifts might not be to the liking of the bride and groom - but cash and cheques are always welcome. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going to weddings... it's just that I am frustrated over the fact that I might never recoup any of the cash I spent!

To compensate for the loss - and the ignoble thought, I lazed around all afternoon long munching on peanuts - while keeping my eyes glued to the television set. Almost reminiscent of the Romans lounging on their settees with the slaves sending a breeze across with their fans.

Lucius Vorenus

Can I say I'm liking Rome?

The first episode of HBO's latest original series just premiered over here and I am liking it ( just as I loved the quietly malevolent Carnivale ). The story begins with the friendship between two unlikely protagonists, the handsome, conservative Lucius Vorenus and the brash, pugilistic legionary Titus Pullo - and they are cast against a vivid background of larger-than-life historical luminaries such as Julius Caesar, Pompey and Mark Antony. The violent savagery. The hedonistic debauchery. The delicious decadence. The sly treachery.

Hell, something tells me I might have just fit in quite nicely :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean.. Every time I am invited to the wedding, money goes out automatically... I wish they could stop this custom.... :-(


Another TV tempting story... Roman Age is so gay. I hope you will be able to watch delish moments a lot! Happy week!

Anonymous said...

i'm not quite sure how Rome went past the Malaysian censorship board, seeing there's nudity, sexual acts and extreme violence in every episode every single minute.

Anonymous said...

I may be missing something, but ... why would you want to recoup money that you've given as a gift?

Rome started screening here recently, but I haven't had the chance to watch it. If you like things Roman, have you tried Lindsey Davis' Falco novels yet? (crime fic, set in 1st century AD Roman Empire) Bloody, decadent and debauched, and very funny. Could be right up your street. :o)

Jay said...

I have GOT to get me some HBO.

MrBunnyBan said...

Heyyy, I thought you went straight to bed after the wedding? Oh, nevermind.

If you start saving your Ang-pows this CNY, you might *just* have enough to cover next year's batch of weddings. Lol!

Anonymous said...

OMG ! I can't believe it ?! Just after my movie package is cancelled, ASTRO has to go and show "ROME" on HBO. Bummer !

As Nick has said, I think the Malaysian censorship board is gonna messed up the show REALLY bad and totally ruin the experience. Guess I have to fork out my savings when it comes on pirated DVDs. LOL !

savante said...

shigeki, roman times is actually really gay but I doubt they had a name for it back then. Probably just recreation for them.

Well, I seriously doubt the nudity and the sexual acts would pass censorship, nick. But Malaysian censors seem to enjoy extreme violence.

ru, sweetie. It's a Chinese kinda thing and a matter of face. You get the money you gave in return when you finally take the plunge and get married. Ooh, the book sounds great.

get it, jay!

Carnivale was amazing. Can't wait to see how it continues.. if it ever does.

lost, invite that guy to my wedding if I ever have one.

Paul

Petie said...

I read it from some TV guide site, that Carnivale got canned already. So there will be only two seasons.

This is quite bad due to the cliffhanger at the end of the second season. But it is also said that the producer or the writer had said that *both parties* will live on to battle it out again

Will said...

I watched the first season of ROme already...it will be interesting how much violence and sex will get past the censorship board, as nick_n said. I read that they're showing a "tamer" version for conservative countries but I think it takes a lot away from a series if you can't show a naked slave's horse-hung penis.

savante said...

Yeah, I do know that Carnivale got canned. Sort of. But they haven't shown the second season here yet :(

If even the slightest hint of sex is shown on Rome, Will, I'd be flabbergasted.

Paul

Perry Neeham said...

If you want to know more about the history of the fall of the Republic and the start of the Empire read 'Rubicon' by Tom Holland. It's fast paced narrative history at it's best!