Friday, November 18, 2005

More of the same

What do they say about aches and pains?

I promise I'll listen a little closer - and far more sympathetically - when my elderly patients gripe about the pain in their joints. After a long hiatus from the gym, I finally gave in to the recent health lecture/nagging/guilt trip I received from Big Bicep Barry and joined him for a workout. Well, mostly I stared in envy while he lifted some really heavy weights ( would it be so wrong of me to goggle like a giggling sophomore? ) since I almost dropped from exhaustion after barely half an hour. God, I am a wimp :) And kiasu as I am, I hate not being able to lift those weights and each time he offered to help, I became even more pigheaded!

Which is why my back and my arms were screaming by the time I crawled back home and it was all I could do to nudge the door open before I fell onto the floor. I don't know how it could be possible but I think even my fingers are aching.

Still you can't keep a good man down so I found it in me to drag myself off the carpet - my beautiful Turkish carpets!! - to finish my Christmas decorating. Every year, I make my usual pilgrimage to our local home furnishings store Metrojaya to ooh and aah over the fabulous decorations, imagine the decorations on my mantelpiece and load up on additional tinsel. Somehow I make it a point to get a new bauble or two for the tree every year. All brilliant reds and golds these days - a little more traditional, I suppose - and it fits so much better with the Asian decorative accents I have around the living room. There's such a warm sense of tradition and continuity when I place up the glittering baubles... and I can easily imagine doing it year after year at exactly the same time of the year.

Would be so much more fun though if I had a pair of manly hands to help me lug the tree out :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it takes time to lift heavy weights. :-) It takes patience. Don't feel bad, sweetie.

I want some exotic carpets on my deadly cold wood floor!!!

Have a fabulous weekend.

Mark said...

BBB has obviously been going at it for a long time, he should now you need to pace yourself although pushing yourself just that litle bit further (and being consistent about it!) is a good thing.

So when are we gonna see shots of the interior of your place?

greekgaylolita said...

Yes we want to see shots:)

savante said...

shigeki, exotic carpets cost a bomb... :) Trust me, I just got the bill.

Yeah, he has been at it longer than I have and he keeps telling me to pace myself but I'm pigheaded as hell, darien. Interior shots?

Paul

Mark said...

Interior shots of your fabulously decorated house! :-D

You go on and on about it - I wanna see it!