Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Pure disbelief

Something a colleague said today stunned me. Chilled me to the core.

It was during our regular sushi session and I had my mouth half full of sashimi and green tea - which almost came spewing out when Silent Sally suddenly blurted out that she actually didn't believe in marriage. Needless to say it had me, Shameless Shalom and Handsome Hui all gaping in astonisment.

Mr Smith, a believer in the sanctity of marriage


Is that even possible? It could have been easily explained away as the gripe of a desperate and frustrated singleton but she sounded so calm and sincere - and there wasn't even a shred of doubt in her voice. I know what you're gonna say but there were no broken marriages in her past - or in her family - that I knew of. BTW, Silent Sally is another new member of the posse. A cool, calm, cucumberish gal with no nerves to speak of. Don't tell anyone ( especially the Star Trek gang ) but I actually suspect she might be a Borg in disguise.

Amazed me since marriage has always been on my mind. Perhaps a little too much these days especially with the deluge of invitations this week. Although I have had a failed relationship in my past ( damn! ), the very institution of marriage is still pretty much sacred in my mind. Simply can't help it since I've been brought up to treat a marriage ( or in our case, a lifelong commitment / domestic partnership / whatever-we're-calling-it ) as something wonderful, something we should all strive for. Certainly not something I'd turn my back on for a quick one-night-stand no matter how hot the guy might be - not even for Chris Evans and that's saying a lot :)

So for those against marriage - especially gay ones, check this out! Reading it makes you want to run out, grab the closest available single gay man ( not so easy to find after all ) and rush towards the closest commitment ceremony provider.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew, I thought you would say you couldn't believe how much mercury in Tuna sushi. :-) It is recommended by Ministry of Health that pregnant women should only consume tuna sushi less than 2 times a month.

Back to the point. There are so many different life styles. Some don't believe homos, some don't believe marriage. I am almost starting to be one of those non-believers lately... huh...

savante said...

shigeki! I am shocked! A non-believer! I shall convert you!

paul

Anonymous said...

wow... u ARE an OCD guy! hehehe.. christmas shopping from NOW?
cute.
so is brad pitt, actually.
is it a crime to say i find him OLD now, though? ;_)

Mark said...

Hmmmm, well I'm with Shigeki... at least from my observations of marriage in my friends and family... of coruse I'm co;pletely willing for some guy to come and sweep me of my feet and make me delete this post :-D

Anonymous said...

I confess I still believe in growing old together, partnership for life ... silly Romantic Ru. :o\

Yeah, Brad Pitt is looking older, though I wouldn't call him old yet!

AvR said...

OCD is a gift. Our family physician told me once "you know, I could write you for some Zoloft which would help with that", to which I replied "why should I want help with it? Have you seen how clean my home is?".

Idiots. Philistines. They don't undertand.

Anonymous said...

OMg, I didn't comment yesterday! Shame on me! Okay, I am for marriage as long as it works. But until gay marriage affords the same benefits, tax, insurance, and legal-wise and hetero-marriage, I'm not doing it.

savante said...

Brad Pitt old, closetalk.. I am appalled!

darien and lost, yeah, we're all waiting for that prince to come along. Unfortunately he seems to be held up at some detour along the way - probably heading to some club.

ru, it's romantic, sweet - and a wonderful thought to hold on to.

ariel, I totally agree! WHo else would clean up if not us!

But you already have a committed sweetie, Brian! :) I am jealous!

Paul