Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Midnight movies II

What do they say again? Never say never?

I might have mentioned my love ( okay, obsession! ) of sleep a while back. Don't have much of a choice actually since I have this horrible neverending battle with insomnia ( and the prerequisite sleepy mornings the day after the battle ) since childhood and it's only lately that I've finally managed to make some peace with it, buried the hatchet despite the seething animosity between us. Lately it has been getting better after the recently declared truce with only the occasional bloodless skirmish to keep me up till all hours in the night.

Hardly anything would make me give up sleep. Sweaty nights wrestling with an insatiable hot man would be one thing but extracurricular activities like that have been few and far in between for me lately. :)

Obviously I have found something other than sex to make me lose sleep. A late night movie and Big Bicep Barry. After all this time, we've finally made our way into the damned wardrobe to step into the magical world of Narnia. The damned door to the wardrobe has been crammed with worthless schoolkids since forever! It took some time for him to persuade me though since I'd resolutely set my face against showing up at midnight movies.

Barry : Uhh.. wait... I know how you hate watching late night movies....
Paul : No. Not going. Gonna sleep.
Barry : They are good seats, I swear. ( starts digging in his shirt pocket for the tickets to wave them frantically )
Paul : On your lap?
Barry : Uhh.. No. Come on, I know it's kinda late notice but...
Paul : My prrrecious.... My precious sleep.
Barry : It's the day after my birthday. I am getting older. I need something to cheer me up.
Paul : You're seriously going to guilt me into a late night movie with that!
Barry : If I have to.

Okay, I wasn't such a melodramatic drama queen ( neither was he ) but you do get the gist of it. How could I say possibly no to that stubborn, mulish expression on Barry's serious face? So off we went to greet Aslan, the Great Cat and the extremely English Pevensie children ( from the comfort of our good seats! ). Anymore English and we'd be having afternoon tea with crumpets and clotted cream.

Pevensie children!Think a censored PG rated version of the Lord of the Rings and you'll have the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It was a pity however that I never got to watch the movie when I was a kid. It would have been so much more inspiring and wondrous if I'd seen the movie right after I read the book - which was years ago in upper primary :) Certainly would have oohed and aahed at the appropriate moments during the movie - such as when little Lucy found the sole gas-operated lamp in Narnia, when the kids stumbled their way through the wardrobe and near the end during the war, when the griffons took majestically to the sky. And of course, undeniably delicious Turkish Delight that swayed Edmund Pevensie:)

Of course this morning I paid the price for my late night jollies by being too sleepy to even keep my head up. Walked around the wards like a groggy zombie and almost stumbled over my own feet! :)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

in your 20s, lack of sleep is not a big deal at all. Really. But when you turn 30, weird changes will be observed. :-) Wait for it. really.

So I guess it's good to start to get prepared to stick with the current age looks instead of looking older than you have to :-)

Petie said...

We BKK have to wait till Dec. 29 before we get to see the movie... And the studio are surprised why pirated sell so well?? I hope I will be able to make the time... I think I will be able to...

So did you grope BBB while watching the movie? :P Did he throw in a lil' something for dragging you out so late? :)

Legolas said...

Now BBB asking you out for movies? Wow, I can tell you it's a good thing to lose some sleep there.

Anonymous said...

I sympathise over losing sleep ... but it is so sweet BBB getting tickets and persuading you to go. :o)

Surprised that you didn't fall asleep through the movie though, I found it dragged a bit in places. I went to a mid evening showing, and still had difficulty staying awake!

There were BBC TV series of a couple of the Narnia books back in the 1980s, now available on DVD. Okay, the sfx may not be so wonderful, but I still find them a better adaptation than this movie.

MrBunnyBan said...

You *like* Turkish delight? Bleh, isn't as nice as potrayed in the book imho...too sweet even for me. Something like how Winnie the Pooh would scoop up 'huney' into his mouth like pudding but if I try that myself I'm going to fall over dead from diabeties- and I'm not even diabetic. >.<

Barry *persuaded* you to go with him?

It's official. The two of you are dating. I shall henceforth refer to these nights out as dates.

I'm surprised you failed to mention something, but nevermind.

Leggy: Loved the BBC version. :)

Anonymous said...

MrBunnyBan - it was me that mentioned the BBC version, not Leggie. I know he and I seem to be in each other's pockets half the time, but ... :oD

So what did Paul fail to mention??

AJ said...

so was it a date? was it? was it? We all wanna know

savante said...

Oh, shigeki, I do know the benefits of sleep and I'm making it up today. :)

Well, they do have to translate the entire movie into Thai, pete. That explains the time lag. I didn't grope him but I did wrestle him for the popcorn.

Masturbating before sleep. Thought of that actually, chas. Good idea but hey, my lovely sheets!!

leggy, he does ask me out for some obscure reasons of his own.

Somehow or rather I get sucked into the movie and even the worst movies can't make me nod off, ru!

I failed to mention what, Daniel? I have no idea actually. And I actually love turkish delight!

aj, was it a date? I wanna know too since I have no fuckin idea what's going on. For all I know he's gonna ask me to be the best man to his wedding. :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

So Paul, what happens when you get BBB into your bedroom and you're both wrestling your way on to the bed in frenzied lust ... and then you say ah, wait, my lovely sheets!

Plan ahead. Get a spare set for Barry's visits. ;oP

Anonymous said...

Wow. Barry persuaded you to go see The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe during a late night showing? Wow. He must really have a hold on you somehow.... :)

MrBunnyBan said...

Thighs, Paul. Remember the thighs?
=p

Turkish delight...yetchhhh.

Legolas said...

Paul brushed his hand on BBB's thighs?! You go, man! ;-p

Musang said...

Owh. My. God.

couldn't believe barry bunny here asked you out. persuaded you out. owh my god, he's totally one of those sweetie that still living in the wardrobe. shag the gay out of him paul. shag him.

give him the night he can't forget and offer him something he can't refuse...

just a thought.

Kenji said...

Bu-but the movie was awesome right!? ;_;

Lol don't mind me... I am obsessed with Chronicles of Narnia and I was totally inspired by that movie... definitely love the soundtrack! ^^

but anyway... i think you and I suffer the same problem of insomnia! *points at the time of this comment is posted up*

Lol I swear... i had it back to normal... but guess old habits die hard! ;p

Jay said...

He seems awfully keen to spend time with you. Did you get any vibes in the dark cinema while watching Narnia? Maybe Barry was trying to come out of the erm, Wardrobe.

OK, bad, very bad.

Francis Ford Faggola said...

Paul, I think you guys are definitely heading to a good place. Be sure to tell us all about your first time with him eh? ;P

Anonymous said...

I think this Narnia movie is apt for the most magical time of the year. Gotta see this soon!

But what would be more magical and definitely a must-see is you and BBB finally and officially getting together. Merry wishes for the holidays! Ho Ho Ho!

ça va pas la tête said...

You can always sleep in the cinema on his laps, rite?

savante said...

ru, darlin. is it possible that a fanatic like me would only have one bedsheet? I have five in different shades of turquoise and blue to match.

Brian, he already bought the tickets and I couldn't say no. I am weak.

Oh, the thighs :) Well, Daniel, I was trying my best not to reveal too much of my slutty side. See, now even Leggy knows :)

musang, I can't wait for the shag but I gotta find out if he actually has a wardrobe and that takes some digging.

I didn't mind the Narnia movie but I preferred the books, Chris :)

Was scanning like crazy for any sort of vibes and all I got was a headache, Jay.

You'll be the first to know, Holden.

On meds, inner mind! Still hoping that natural methods work out.

Well, I do need the tissues and the spare wipes.

Sleeping on his lap would mean missing parts of the movie and I usually get far too engrossed in the action. And anyway, I did snooze a little on his shoulder and he didn't seem to mind.

Paul



Paul