Monday, December 19, 2005

A new book

Although it's a puzzling thought, my friends and relatives actually gripe that it's impossibly difficult to find gifts for me. Perhaps I do shop quite a lot ( an understatement, I know! ) - which has me getting most of the things I do want but hey, I still don't see any shiny Tiffany cufflinks on my desk. :) Apart from the ties and shirts that I normally get ( hey, I like design as much as the next man but come on, I have to draw the line at dancing reindeer on a tie! ), books are the usual present found under the tree for me but that's always a risky bet since I tend to get all the latest bestsellers ( and often some of the more obscure authors out there ) that I can find.

Book reading
Dying for a good book!


Since I haunt the bookstores on a regular basis ( hell, it's amost my second home ), it's almost impossible to beat me to a new book. And as a rabid completist ( can't find another word for it since my vocabulary only stretches so far! ), I tend to search under every rock and stone for the entire series - and every damned book - written by any author that I particularly like which makes it even harder to find a book for me. That explains why I have books piled up in stacks in every room in the house.

Of course, hunting like a crazed man for books tends to makes it difficult for me to find a new book to read ( since I literally pounce on the new books once it gets on the shelves ) once I've finished the lot and waiting for the next publication. So it always puts me on a high when I find a new author to love. So lovely to rifle through the first few pages to find that you've found something new to enjoy. Indescribable actually... explaining how it feels to open a new book :) It's the joy and ecstasy of finding a new lover, an uncivilized foreign expanse yet to be explored.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does your passion for completeness include re-reading the books (or even re-reading an entire series) or are you on a continuing literary quest for one night stands? ;oP

uncivilized foreign expanse takes us back to breakfast pancakes and American-sized portions, lar. :oD

savante said...

It definitely includes re-reading books since I go through a single book multiple times.

Paul

Anonymous said...

It's always good to hear about another "completist" out there. I, myself, am waiting for the completion of the week of November the 8th....

8th November 2005

Tried something new and placed a post about a guy who believes in Fairytale Endings. The Marine post should be up by the end of the week... have my fingers crossed.

...I know that you may want me banned from your blog, but there are still those of us who would like to have the complete works of you.

I promise not to bother you for the rest of the year. Bless you for being there...your blog is wonderful and your stories more so!
--Geoff

Zemien said...

well, mind where those pile of books are left on. i've just thrown away many books due to the termite infestation in my house. Thankfully all my good books survived, but I believe it is my duty to warn others.

Keep it away from dark cupboards!

Jay said...

One way that I have of controlling myself is through Amazon.

Every time I find a book I like on the shelf, I tell myself that it'll be cheaper on Amazon (it always is), and I should wait till I get home and log on to order it online. But by the time I actually get round to it the mad craving will usually have subsided a little and I'm under control again.

Still, I think I must have one of the longest wish lists like, ever on that damned website.

Anonymous said...

have you bought your copie of Second Chances yet? lol.

Musang said...

i read books because of the author and because of the review.

a good author means a good book. good review also means a good book.

nowadays i've done multiple re-reading of my fave books. and sometimes i read well-known books just to look smart at starbucks.

i'm a good poser with a good book.

*i don't know what this comment means, please don't ask me.*

Anonymous said...

Have, for more years than I can remember, held fast to the advice of my eighth grade ( and all-time favorite) teacher to never start and not finish ANY book. So I have read some (make that MANY) bad books.
Thus I have learned to balance my selections of what to read between the "successful" novelists versus the "want to be") and I can tell you the number of good and the number of bad books, from each groups, is about equal.
So, my advice is, explore the new authors as well as any oher alternative option in life.
All you will do is learn and experience something new.