Thursday, January 26, 2006

Red packets and loaded questions

Red lanternsIt is the time of the year again when Chinese all around the world start going into a anal-retentive housecleaning frenzy - followed by a rabid shopping extravaganza that delights vendors and raises prices for every consumable item available ( and for the Chinese, that's actually anything and everything edible ). The Chinese New Year - or the Spring Festival as it's known in the mainland - is celebrated around the end of January / beginning of February and for all of us, it's a time to get together, get drunk, gamble and be merry as the year of the Rooster comes to an end - and the year of the Dog is ushered in.

Well, I don't gamble all that much but I'm good for the rest.

The evening before the real deal, it begins with the highlight of the festival which is the family reunion dinner and for single folks like me, it's a dangerous sprint through a gauntlet of red packets, sweet oranges and deceptively loaded questions. Beloved aunts and uncles turn into rabid Gestapo activists who fire interrogative missiles every few seconds on the state of your semi-permanent bachelorhood and all we can do is smile nervously as we try to dodge as much as we can. Some of our less agile cousins are thrown into the fray to be sacrificed under their persistent interrogation as we leap to safety over their fallen carcasses.

This year it's made worse by the fact that I'm not only older, I also have most of the prerequisites for marriage such as a steady job, a house and a car...( yes, this is a blatant hint so send naughty propositions! ) which makes me even more of a target than usual. The fact that a handful of my younger cousins have already gotten hitched ( with a baby in tow! ) only makes it worse. Is it any wonder that I'm usually the sponsor for the late midnight movies and Mamak that occurs later during the night? For me, that's the one and only escape I can get.

I mentioned this fact the other day to Big Bicep Barry and he just laughed.

Barry : Hey, don't complain, okay. I've been doing it longer than you.
Paul : How much longer exactly?
Barry : ( silence ) You're never finding out my age.
Paul : Fine. Be secretive. See if I care. I was gonna give you feng shui tips based on your astrology sign. Year of the Ox, you said?
Barry : Very funny.
Paul : So any tips on avoiding questions?
Barry : Get really drunk.

Well, that seems like a mighty good suggestion.

So this weekend, if you find my blog surprisingly not updated for a day or two, it's probably because I'm unable to find a serviceable computer with an internet connection ( quite entirely possible in my grandfather's ancient coffeeshop ) or I'm far too busy getting wasted on oranges and vodka ( what an oddly lethal combination ) to write anything barely coherent.

To all the Chinese celebrating, a happy Chinese New Year. And please don't forget my red packet. :) Hell, I'm still single. Sympathize and throw money.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, with BBB's age, you're like a little terrier worrying away at his trousers. Note, I said "worrying", not "humping", however much I'm sure you'd love the latter.

Happy Chinese New Year to you too!

Squido said...

Yes, get him drunk!

Then you can umm do whatever you want with him!

Just try not to make it illegal x)

Anonymous said...

Well have fun during the weekend! Happy Chinese New Year to you! On Sunday, 1.6 Billion people will be celebrating this event and if the Gestapo uncles and aunties of yours are interrogating - just tell them that you prefer guys and winked at them and walked away from it. They will be silenced and voila..... they won't even speak to you again :-) Nah - not a good strategy. Better still - just tell them you're overworked at the hospital, smile at them and divert this question to another cousin and flee the scene.

Madagascar - well, that could be an option considering how stressed I'm at work and Antananarivo is a beauty! Could even consider retiring there! :-)

akihisa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
akihisa said...

I think there's no one GOOD way to dodge the "When are you getting married ?" question, you know ?!!

Heck, I'm still finding a way to dodge the endless "Do you have a girlfriend ?" and "When are you gonna show us your girlfriend ?" questions during Hari Raya last year. Getting drunk is not an option for me, though I do SO wanna be drunk during those "interrogation". LOL !!

Happy Chinese New Year, Paul !!

Ahmad

Anonymous said...

So you mean to say that BBB, like the us gayboys, has also been dodging the marriage question? Time we gave him a card to carry, isn't it not? ;)

hrugaar said...

Getting drunk wouldn't help me with avoiding the loaded questions, I'd just charge at them like a bull. Well, I was born in the year of the Ox, as you know. :oD

God, think how rich I'd be now if I'd been getting red packets all these years! Actually, knowing my skinflint relatives, not very ...

Good fortune for the New Year. :o)

Petie said...

Wear your pink silk shirt to the reunion :) Oh.. wait.. Red will be the dresscode of teh day...

Perhaps wore the gayess looking one? :P

Kenji said...

Oh meh... no fun... means I can't bug you!? What am I saying... I'm sure you have a phone with you... ugh... don't mind me.... 12.45am now.... my brain isn't functioning correctly!

Haha anyway... Happy chinese New Year to ya! And love you loads! Hope you get hitched and not loose to any younger cousins! *hugs*

Spot said...

Happy New Year Paul! In...Melaka was it? Good luck with the traffic jams.

Anonymous said...

Adults get money in a red packet? huh...

Vodka and Orange sounds so unusual but don't get too wasted not to care about anything you say and do. :) But that might be a great trick.

Anyhow, happy chinese new year!

Jay said...

Bring BBB to your reunion dinner. Hold his hand and lovingly put food on his plate. Then go to his reunion dinner with him, and do the same.

Voila! No more interrogative missiles.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

When I was in Singapore the year of the tiger was coming, and I remember all of the carved tigers in stone and metal everywhere. Happy Chinese New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I once told my relatives : "Would you like to see me happy being single, or you like to see me being unhappy settling down." That seem to shut them unofficially.

U know what? next time BBB send you home after a nite out, start touching his ears n hands while his driving..if he didnt say anything, mean you are ON!!!!

You want angpow? Come down la to KL ;)

Gong Xi Fa Cai btw :D

ça va pas la tête said...

Paul, the only thing I've got will be the age factor. hehehe But I am ok... can prolong another year.

bRed said...

lol usually i say pussy smells bad... but thats only to guy frens.. lol

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!! WOOF WOOF

and the half naked boy was the security guy at my workplace who likes getting his bone sucked and occasionally hammer my ass silly =)

well .. he doesnt want to do that anymore.. *sigh* nuthin like a guilt trip to spoil a good thing

Anonymous said...

Happy Chinese new year man! i really enjoy reading your blog. witty, funny, sexy and real!

ronald
quietstormm2002@yahoo.com

Musang said...

hehehe... jay's comment is good. he gave good suggestion.

LOL.

just counterattack em all with some bullets of yours. here's are few:

"well, have a girlfriend now. maybe wedding is next year."

"well how's (insert their child name here) wedding going on? i thought he's going through a divorce?"

"i like cocks. just waiting for same sex marriage to be legal in malaysia. maybe in a hundreds years of time. you don't have to come though"

"do you really think i will invite you to my wedding? sheesh..."

"well look at you... i don't want to be YOU in next 20 years... gross"

or "hmmm. hmmm. hmmm. what was the question again?..... hmmm." repeatedly until they bored.

Happy Chinese New Year to you darlin'. the food must be great!! i love dim sum very much! that and vodka.

savante said...

The idea of humping BBB sounds so much better, Jamie. Thanks :)

Squido. Get him drunk? He claims to have a high tolerance for alcohol...but then so do I so we'll see how it goes.

Have tried that overworked at the hospital thing before, Ian. All I get is phone numbers of available women.

Guess the only good way is avoidance, Ahmad... and I like the reunion dinners too much to run off.

weeshiong, well, BBB isn't married yet anyway.

Well, ru, after a while it gets embarassing to get red packets :) Especially from those younger than you.

Well, this year, Pete, I actually got a dark green shirt. I think I have enough pink/red shirts to last a lifetime :P)

Well, you can still bug me on the phone, Chris :)

Escaped the traffic jams, Spot. And I managed to find my way back to Penang. God, it's a crush here.

shigeki, come over and we'll get you some red packets.

Great idea, Jay :) But he's having his reunion in Malacca. I'm in Penang.

Well, sue, now you see carved dogs everywhere!

pakcik. you ada bagi ang pow ke!

CA VA, just you wait.

husz, I should get a security guy of my own. SIgh!

Thanks, Ronald. Sexy, you say? Haven't been getting any in weeks! :)

musang, you wicked man :) Love the suggestions though.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Yeah..in fact I do give angpow la..but green color lor ;)