Sunday, January 29, 2006

Timeless Love

As much as we're supposed to abhor piracy, there are days that we have to thank our local bootleggers for their heroic efforts in bringing certain controversial movies that would be otherwise banned from our innocent, child-like, easily-led eyes. But I promised myself this wouldn't be a screaming rant against mindless censorship so I shall resist the temptation to leap onto my own private soapbox. Instead, all I have to say is a huge thank you to all you blond-highlighted DVD pirates ( especially the sexy, semi-shirtless ones ) for bringing movies and series that would otherwise only be seen by rigidly conservative, holier-than-thou censors.

Hmm... was that a rant?

Thanks to their efforts, I finally managed to get my hands on Brokeback Mountain. Sorry, Heath and Jake ( and the adorable Ang Lee ), but I had to resort to blatant piracy.

Brokeback Mountain
Why can't we make this work?

Since I've already read the incredibly short novella of Brokeback Mountain a while back, the bittersweet ending of the story didn't hold any surprises for me. The love between the taciturn Ennis del Mar and the charming Jack Twist spans almost two decades - and it's heartbreaking to see the two men seeming unable to quite grasp the sweet promise held by their first passionate meeting at Brokeback Mountain.

Surely everyone has heard about the controversial romance between two cowboys but there is more to the movie than that as it brings to life the tragedy of two men who simply can't have what they want - as year after year, they try to rekindle their clandestine romance through awkwardly termed fishing trips only to have their seemingly normal everyday lives slowly crumble into inconsequential dust. Although the more open Jack is all in favour of setting up permanent camp, fear of societal prejudice forces the repressed Ennis into denying his own feelings leaving his poor unrequited lover twisting in the wind.

Didn't feel like watching alone so I called up a friend. Since he did make an odd comment once about wanting to watch Brokeback, Big Bicep Barry would have been the obvious choice to call but the man's stuck entertaining his migrant workers - who are obviously bored to tears during this long holiday. So I called up the one guy I knew I knew would be utterly bored ( if not rabidly murderous ) with mandarin oranges and family reunions by now. Surprisingly my cynical ISO thoroughly enjoyed the movie - although I have to admit he wasn't as taken by my enthusiasm for the movie.

Paul : I want my own Brokeback!
My ISO : Yeah, right. You'd rather be caught dead before climbing up that mountain.
Paul : You're wrong there! I'd wash clothes by the river. I'd catch fish and roast them over an open fire while I waited for my husband to ride home to camp.
My ISO : The last time you camped was back in school - and as I recall you actually hated it. Do I have to take out that picture of you covered in mud and leeches again?
Paul : Damn. But I'll do it for Jake Gyllenhaal.
My ISO : Sure. I'll believe it when I see it.

The man knows me too well. Alright, so I'd prefer my men just a tad more citified. Uncivilized is fine by me but I simply cannot rough it out for days on end. Just imagine being in the mountains without broadband!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

..but I think you can live in the mountains without broadband my dear..providing that you have BBB as the substitute.

then again, if he ask you, which one will be your choice?

he.he..go for broadband. its everlasting :)

Joel said...

Well you don't came where WE camp. Lots of gay men...scantily clad (or not at all) and pletny of woods and stuff. OR should I say pletny of "wood." :)

Aku said...

Bro Paul,
Thanks drop a line at mine.

Anyway, if we wanna have broadband in the mountains, therefore we should have Brokeback Manhattan tho!

He he he enjoy your holiday!?

Musang said...

hahhahahak...

you and the camping?...you don't need that, do you?

just jake and bbb tucked safely in one room of your house is enough.

and a heaven to come home to.

akihisa said...

Yay ! Is the DVD clear ? I've dloaded one where you can actually hear people talking and coughing. Damn !

Broadband or Jake Gyllenhaal ?

Hhmm, I'll have both, please. ;-p

If you were to watch the movie with BBB, I'm sure SOMETHING is bound to happen, But, alas !! Hehe.

Anonymous said...

So that's the DVD that got you the wink! Haha! My colleague has already gotten hold of her copy, so I'd have to raid piracy haven soon! And wish there's a shirtless hot guy waiting to wink at me, too. ^_^
I'd rather "rough" it elsewhere... Besides, I have some Norwegian "wood" waiting for me...

Anonymous said...

I just can't get the idea of bareback anytime I read about the movie. I think I am so sick!!!

I'd be dead if I lived in the place where there were less than 100,000 people....

hrugaar said...

Still can't work up any enthusiasm for Brokeback - maybe that's just because it's not heavily censored here, or maybe it's 'cause I'm so fashion-contrary, heh. The one I do want to see is Memoirs of a Geisha, but the screening times here are damned awkward, too early or far too late. I'm hoping they'll change the schedule next week. :o)

I'm more countrified than citified, but I wouldn't want to live long-term without (hot) running water and decent toilet facilities. :oD

Mud and leeches, Paul? This we need to see. ;oP

Anonymous said...

and the next step is to slyly mention brokeback to BBB again and see if he makes the same comment about wanting to see it. If he does, you can "brag" about "connections" and invite him over for the matinee!

Anonymous said...

oh...and where I live (in the mountains) we DO have Broadband!

savante said...

Feeling great, Jacky. Thanks for askin :)

Somehow, I think I might go for broadband too, pakcik :) Unless BBB offers something irresistible.

Scantily clad gay men in the woods. Where is this place again, Scotty?

Brokeback Manhattan! How cute!

Musang, with both Jake and BBB in the same camp, I think I'd be exhausted - and probably dehydrated.

Innermind, don't worry even with a synopsis, you'd enjoy the movie.

The DVD is really clear, Ahmad. Go get it. The subtitles suck though.

Mark, you lucky stud with your Norwegian men. Sigh!

I think it's likely that they were bareback too, shigeki :) And hey, you're in Japan, doubt there's any place with less than 100,000 people around.

Seriously, ru, mud and leeches. Not a pretty sight.

Over here we hav friendly pirates in every dark street corner, tour de vino.

Brian, will definitely make that comment when I see him. let's see how he takes it.

Paul

ça va pas la tête said...

hahaha I love your conversation with the ISO.