Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Blue List

First of all, I've gotta say bravo to all antibiotics! Sure, God knows I hate taking the damned things ( as a medical practitioner I shouldn't be saying such sacrilegious blasphemy but we'll just keep it quiet, shall we? ) but every once in a while, I just get damned tired of hacking out half a lung and I need some lovely drugs to help my immune system along.

Although I'm still not feeling up to fighting form yet, I believe right now I'd be able to at least give Chris Evans a thorough tongue wash if he should ever come by knocking at my door - since I'm a nice, hospitable fella and all. Whether I'd be able to perform far more vigorous carnal acts all depends on how long the bacteria / virus stays down.

Chris Evans!
Damn, I keep hearing about this bloke called Paul wanting to give me a tongue wash?

Still the short ceasefire did give me time to flip through the Lonely Planet's Blue List - a thoughtful gift from a wicked ex boyfriend. Knowing my odd penchant for travel and my obsession for reading, my ISO decided to combine the two and get me a wonderful book that's sure to make me guilty enough to actually buy him something in return for his birthday. I'm not fooled though. The bastard probably already read the book in the plane.

But there's nothing like the Blue List to get someone like me dreaming of travel again. Each time I get a lovely little stamp on my passport, I feel a little secret thrill. Not as big a thrill as getting frenched in the London-Brighton Express train but still it's almost similar - that little secret pleasure that snakes up the spine at the thought of a new indescribable experience to be enjoyed.

Somehow when I was a kid, it never occurred to me that I'd actually be able to travel to all these exotic destinations. Endlessly twirling the globe in my room, I'd dream of the places I'd go, the people I'd meet ( yeah, I know.. the MenmEnmeN ) - and yes, the things I'd buy. However short of being an employee of a multinational airline or the legitimate heiress of a worldwide hotel chain, it hardly seemed possible to jet off to foreign destinations at the drop of a hat. Certainly not even in my wildest dreams could I imagine that I'd actually be able to travel - and yet the past few years I've been lucky enough to visit little bits of the world ( barring the Americas - the long long long flight is a deterrence for me unfortunately but dammit, I shall make it there one day nevertheless ).

At the moment, my bank account might be absolutely pitiful - surely to the horror of my long suffering brother - but at least I'll have some exotic souvenirs to hock. Lacquerware from Myanmar, anyone? Surely some Venetian hand-blown glass could turn a buck.

Just an anecdote but something amusing occurred to me as I flipped through the Blue List. Somehow or rather throughout my travels, I managed to visit at least six of the greatest markets in the world. Who knew! Obviously my yet unsurpassed shopping instincts are right on target. I'll leave it to you guys to figure out which six.


Tsukiji Fish market, Japan
Khan Al-Khalili, Egypt
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Chatuchak, Thailand
Kashgar, China

Temple St, Hong Kong
Grand Bazaar, Turkey
Aleppo, Syria
Pike Place Market, USA
Camden, England

Now all I'd have to do is nail down the other four! Anyone up for the challenge?

17 comments:

hrugaar said...

And there was I thinking Blue List was referring to naughty places where people go for sex or 'exotic entertainment', heheh ... but I checked the link and I see it ain't that at all. :oD

Don't suppose my little rock on the sea is in there. But you can still come visit. :o)

savante said...

Same thought did occur to me too and I did think it was something salacious :) Where did we get our dirty minds, ru? Somehow I think my ISO must have thought the same - and when it turned out to be nothing wil nor kinky, he must have been bored.

Paul

hrugaar said...

Yup, bet he thought the same ... which is why he passed it on to you. Had it been salacious, it'd probaby have ended up well-thumbed in his own pocket. ;oP

It's probably your British-style education ... in England, "blue" jokes are the rude ones.

savante said...

Aren't blue jokes considered rude and dirty everywhere? :O

Paul

ash said...

huh? i don't get it. the site says blue list is just a list of place where u'd recommend people to go. where does the notion of being a naughty place come from?

Anonymous said...

Oh, great. I didn't know about this list and I am hoooked. thanks for the intro to the blue list. :)

So I must wonder where your next destination will be...?

I am glad you are doing better!

Musang said...

damn... i was about to mark a list of destinations that i'm going to visit when i clicked the bluelist link.

pfftttt.

a lie! and i hate you. hahahahak.

and take care of yourself. as a doctor, you can get sick easily with bacterias flying free in the hospital lounge.

so where's my souvenir?

Maximus Leo said...

The trick here is to just go with the flow and that means - do the local stuff and you don't really need the blue list. It's all mumbo jumbo corporate marketing PR stuff! :-0

Your penchant for shopping is a good start as you'll be able to sniff out the best on the Blue List.

Happy travelling!

Cheers, Ian

Just Me said...

I am glad to hear you are feeling better, being sick and forced to rest is always horrible.

So where are you of to next?

Anonymous said...

Chris Evans is hot. I could never be too sick to give him a tounge wash either! Lol

Anonymous said...

That Blue List is sooooo addictive! Thanks for the heads-up. And hey, there's even a chance to enter into a competition where LP would send three winners off to Shanghai and eventually work for LP. Yowza! Now off with my thinking cap... Gotta win gotta win gotta win. I've always wanted to write in travel publications - Conde Nast or Lonely Planet.

Jay said...

I can't believe Camden Market is on that list - that place is big but all it sells is junk.

And poppers.

savante said...

Blue List, ash. Say it again and you'll get it :)

Not sure where I'll be going to next, Shigeki. Need to recoup my losses since my bank account's badly hit.

I know, musang! And I'm ridiculously susceptible to cough and colds.

Yeah maximus! Gonna keep my eye out for the best markets.

Not sure yet, cr. Gonna plan it slowly.

After looking at him again, I have to agree with ya, Charlie.

It is addictive, Mark. But not easy to think up actually.

Thanks for dropping by, Jason.

I was amazed myself that Camden market made the list! Obviously some people are into junk - and poppers.

Paul

canardbidon said...

the London - Brighton express? Oh dear, oh dear ...

I've been to two of those markets! I sure hope you didn't dirty your dress in no fish market ...

ça va pas la tête said...

paul,

I so gonna go to the last four with you. ;)

savante said...

canard, yeah it was that train!

cava, start packing your bags :P

You're actually pretty close to the real deal, boy, but I've actualyl never been to Japan.

Paul

savante said...

Fine! :) Come here for your Magnum.

Paul