Saturday, February 25, 2006

Breakfast at Paul's

It's not often that I get to have a slow, lazy breakfast in the morning. Other than the times when I'm blissfully on holiday ( where I pig out at breakfast buffets for hours since it's urban myth that calories on holiday don't count ), I usually spend my breakfasts desperately on the go - meaning hastily slapped together PB & J sandwiches ( yeah, my tastes haven't changed much since I was back in primary! ) or drowned muesli just before I rush to join the other career-minded rats in the race.

I didn't get to have my breakfast today either. Well, technically it can't be called breakfast snce I actually had it at about three in the afternoon but we shall just keep that between us. Yesterday's on-call was particularly tiring - and I even helped deliver one of my colleagues at work! - and I conked off like Rip Van Winkle for six hours straight when I reached home.

Woke up feeling far more refreshed - and slightly more civilized after my shower - and also damned hungry since the last meal I had was almost 20 hours ago. Snce it was my breakfast of sorts, I decided to make pancakes.

Feeling awfully Nigella Lawson domestic-goddess like, I made my way to my beautifully appointed but rarely used kitchen in my pyjamas only to find that I was actually short of eggs. Well, my woefully bare larder was actually short of anything even remotely involved with cooking ( other than a veritable cornucopia of preprocessed packaged foods such as the instant noodles I mentioned before ) but let's not go there, shall we. Even now, the thought makes me cringe. Fortunately, my home is tucked in between a gaggle of chattering spinsters who have fridges thankfully stocked up with supplies and it was simple enough to borrow an egg - or two. The neighbourly thing to do after all.

Shopping for breakfast
Bet his larder isn't empty...

Armed with my eggs, I managed to make pancakes enough for two. And slathered in butter and maple syrup, it was sinfully delicious. Paired with the single cup of coffee that I allowed myself ( and my morning newspaper ), it was heaven.

And that was my breakfast at three in the afternoon. Doctors certainly have the weirdest time schedules so take pity on us. Egg and flour donations are always welcome!

11 comments:

Dave said...

Having pancakes with butter and maple syrup isn't that sinful afterall. Introducing Aunt Jeenas' Pancake Syrup Lite! Same amount of greatness, half the fat!

Surely your breakfast isn't that sinful afterall if you go along with Aunt Jeenas' Pancake Syrup Lite!

And how much i love peanut butter too! Try going for Peanut Butter Lite as well! =)

hrugaar said...

I get very tried working full days, and yeah, I find if I sleep for a while when I get home then it recharges my batteries for the rest of the evening.

I adore pancakes. Maybe we can cook them when I visit? :oP

Rick Bettencourt said...

No pancake comment here - just a compliment to your ingenuous writing abilities:

"Fortunately, my home is tucked in between a gaggle of chattering spinsters who have fridges thankfully stocked up with supplies and it was simple enough to borrow an egg - or two. The neighbourly thing to do after all."

This is brilliant!

Bandit Talks

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried real maple syrup from New England? We have it here in Connecticut; can you get it there? It's really superior to the fake stuff. Then there is maple syrup candy. Yum, to die for.

savante said...

Syrup Lite and Butter Lite :) Thanks, Dave! But I'm no dieter like Barry. I believe in sinning every once in a while.

milady, I've missed ya. Where have ya been!

ru darlin, I think I'll have to stock up the larder if that's your intention.

Thanks, rick :)

sue, that's miles away. Only way I could get it is if it was packaged and processed.

Paul

Anonymous said...

paaaaaulllll!
i love pancakes. absolutely adore dem! yes, yes, i do.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Breakfast at 3pm, hmm then again, I've done worse....breakfast roughly at 7pm..shouldn't there be a term for that? Breakfast + lunch is Brunch..Breakfast + Dinner, Brinner? hahaha..

Worse part, I tend to get cravings for scrambled eggs and bacon slices at any time of the day, have even made them at 11pm in the evening......of course not to mention 3am in the morning after a night of partying..but that is considered breakfast...isn't it..even though you haven't gone to bed.. hehhe

savante said...

So do I, closetalk!

Does sound terrible, doesn't it :) But that's our time schedule. Sigh!

paul

Anonymous said...

I had double value meal..double cheese burger for brunch. Iced blended mocca with tiramisu cake for evening. Suchi King for dinner. N grilled chicken chop for supper..

Can you by any chance cook me a nice pancake ;)

savante said...

pakcik, it's edible but don't expect Nigella's pancakes.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Love it. Great Design.
www.spaces.msn.com/mia041974