Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Gay Dad

Although I have the suffering phlegm I mentioned in my last post, it has cleared up some - thanks to the miracle of modern medicine - and I spent last night taking care of my niece since I'm obviously a reasonably responsible sort. Despite the fact that I had a woozy head - probably also due to my meds, I handled myself accountably well throughout the evening while she played around with her toys, helped herself to some of my charcoals ( from the days I entertained notions of joining an art college! Didn't even know I still had those around! ) and went through several oddly entertaining reruns of Barney, the monstrous purple cushion, and his two illegitimate dinokids.

There were times during the evening when I even gave in to the blissful notion of having a house, a husband and a passel of kids running about ( well perhaps two, any more than that and I'd be the old lady in the Manolos ). Although I might have the occasional brain fritz over Chris Evans slicked up in oil, I've never actually been all that interested in the stereotypical fabulous gay life, the thumpa-thumpa disco music or hanging out in bars drooling hopelessly over the pretty boys. Probably gonna be in the ostracized minority over here but in keeping with my Stepford housefrau dreams, I've always wanted a child of my own. Yeah, I can see the number of prospective boyfriends dwindling down to zero right about now :) Other gay men might freak over taking care of the dirt, the spittle and the drool but that's always been alright with me since I've seen much worse at work. And I can always dryclean that Armani suit.

Father and baby
The indescribable mystery of children

That was of course before I had the pleasure of putting my niece to sleep. It wasn't the first time I've gotten her to sleep but it was obviously that time of the month. Tucking her in wasn't the problem actually... keeping her there turned out to be the start of my woes. At some ungodly hour of the night, my niece somehow woke up with the urge to stage a loud, stand-up protest from her cot beside my room. From a happily chattering child, she metamorphosed into some screaming, wailing demon from hell that practically trashed my child monitor with her vociferous million-decibel protests.

Knowing her uncle's a soft-hearted twat beneath that steely exterior, she knew I'd be up and running ( albeit a bit groggily in the dark and slamming my foot on the door frame ) the minute the damned monitor beeped.

Even for a reasonably resourceful guy like me, I was simply at a loss to what to do with the pint-sized termagant as she waved her fists at me, miniscule tears dripping out of her teensy eyes. I've fed her, I've bathed her, I've changed her diapers, I've read stories to her. What the hell else did she want me to do? Unsurprisingly sensible reasoning didn't weigh much with her and the terms I placed on the discussion table for her ceasefire were met with virulent screams of rage. Only after ten minutes of trying to cajole her with several delicious treats - and racking my skull thinking of child-rearing theories, I finally managed to ascertain through her childish babble what she wanted of me.

Which actually turned out to be an hour of cradling her in my arms while I stalked around the room dressed in my ratty pyjamas.

Don't know how other dads do it but there were times I felt like slamming my head on the wall for being such a failure. The other half the time I actually felt like raising my voice to shake the rafters. That was in between wishing that I actually had some sedatives around. Good God. Obviously I need my future boyfriend to be a better father!

Still the lil angel woke up this morning happy as a clam ready to face a new day while my head ached sadly. Obviously last night wasn't as bitterly traumatic for her.

23 comments:

Squido said...

Ugh... those germs-riddled little kids. I just want mine to be ready for collage when they are born.

Yes, now you all know how motherly i can be. =)

Anonymous said...

I agree with squido. If I could possibly adopt a kid ready for college that would be swell. But then I would have to pay for that. Sigh. BTW - My brother used to do that cradling and walking my neice around in his arms while chanting to her like a Native American. Worked every time.

Rick Bettencourt said...

You sound like a man after my gay little heart. You mean there are other gay men out there that aren't in to the stomping disco lights and aspire to raise kids?

God, have mercy.

Bandit Talks

savante said...

I was germ riddled but kept myself clean by washing my hands and keeping a mask on, squido.

Chanting like a Native American. Intriguing plan. Will try it, sue!

Yeah, I'm definitely not much into the stomping music, rick :)

Paul

MrBunnyBan said...

Tee hee! Nobody really knows what on earth they want when they do that. I'm not used to regular kids myself, but by 2 years she *should* understand some of what you're saying methinks.

I can see where you're coming from though. I'd love to have kids myself - but my partner's happiness would come first. If.

Maximus Leo said...

I'm sure you're not the only gay dude who wants kids!

I'm trying to figure out how to be a dad as well - adopt kids (there are plenty out there) but the bureaucracies on single parents will dry up all your energy. My sources tells me that in Malaysia, you can adopt a kid pretty quickly! Any ideas?

The next is to get a Vietnamese surrogate mother! I hear that it can be quite affordable!

After all these options, i think I'll be bankrupt! But then again, I need to come out of my "comfort" zone first before I head down the "parenthing" option.

Ian

Joel said...

You SURE you still want jkids after reading all MY drama???

That Girl said...

hey Paul :) thanks for visiting my blog. welcome anytime!

as for babies... i love them...theres a crazy bunch of mystery to them while we try to speak their language...but..reading this...made me like you already!hoep you find the right person who wants kids too!

Just Me said...

It sounds like you got to experience the joys of fatherhood...if only for one night. I love taking care of my neices and nephews buut it is always nice to send them back home to their parents.
I am sure I will want kids one day, I just don't think that day will be here any time soon.

Anonymous said...

My niece once said, "ah su..gimme a hug". When i asked her why. She said "cause u look sad".

Coming from somoeone who is 2 1/2 years old..jeez, that make me feel touch. No doubt I love small kids.

N for sometimes now I believe I am more close to all my niece compared to my own brother n sister...

Kiss My Mike said...

I just can't bear being pregnant. Can you imagine me wearing that ballooned belly for nine months?

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't mind having a kid, but just send him back to me when he turns 16 then I will take care of him, age 0 to 7 years, with the mom, 7 to 16, boarding school, then I will bring him around hahahaha

AJ said...

I reaally love kids, as long as their parents are within returning distance. I really hate dealing with crying, tantrums & screaming, and thats just from my friends!

CTG said...

Hi Paul. Nice of you to take care of your neice. Hope you had a great weekend. I've been told by friends that I would make a great dad, but I just ahve a tiny thing with patience - I lack sme of that, hehe. I can learn though. I do get on well with kids. I enjoy teaching them new things, especially language and its almost as though you can see their young minds absorbing like a sponge. Oh - I did mention violin case in my post - I play violin and was in the University of Cape Town's symphony orchestra for 5 years, while I studies languages. I also studies violin as a private student with a Russian lady (awesome teacher) for 2 years at the university. Have a great day, CTG

CTG said...

PS - I type to fast, so please excuse the spelling sometimes, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul, taking care and playing with kids have always been a fun and learning experience, just like my experience with my 1 1/2 old nephew. He is full of suprises and he would just melt me by seeing and being with him.

I really hope that we don't really fall into the so minority group of gay men, like how you have described it in your blog, and be doomed to find a boyfriend who share the same vision and passion :-)

kent

Squido said...

I think they won't gays/lesbian adopt babies is because they're arfraid the babies will grow up to be gay?

But it would be very embrassing for your kids if the parent-teach meeting comes along, unless your kids i very open minded about it =/

hrugaar said...

Actually I used to quite like the idea of going through pregnancy and giving birth. That was when I had the energy, think it would be a bit too tough now ... especially with the umpteen months of broken sleep that follow with a tiny baby.

Think I'm probably better at being Uncle Ru or Cousin Ru than I would be at being a father. But I do adore kids. :o)

Anonymous said...

hey hey hey... u sound like quite de doting daddy to be, paul my man! ;-) *hugs to u*

and yep, was great to hear abt ure maniac shopping in bangkok.

Jay said...

You want kids?

In that case

we

have

absolutely

nothing

in

common.

Well, I don't go clubbing either (retired clubkid that I am) but apart from that, nothing.

savante said...

Daniel, it's a language of their own I swear! Part of the time I felt like yelling 'Speak English, dammit!'

Glad to know I'm not the only one, Chas.

Ian, what did you say about a vietnamese surrogate? Intriguing options. Over here there's such a thing as a vitenamese mail order bride though.

Well, as kids, Scotty. I'll send them to ya when they become rambunctious teens.

Thanks, grafxgurl. I'm liking you already :)

Sure you'll reach that stage, cr. It's only time :)

It is a shame but it takes time for such policies to change, lady garnet.

First we'll have to find the perfect partner, harvey! Learnt that I couldn't do it alone!

Thanks, jjebay!

Aren't kids the best, pakcik?

Well, kissmymike, you can always go for a quick diet and lipo after the delivery :P

quavadis, I think some parents I know wouldn't mind doing the same :)

What kinda screaming, tantrum throwing friends you have, aj :)

Well, time does mellow a person, ctg, and you'll gain that patience in time.

We'll both keep our fingers crossed, kent!

Squido, no doubt the thought of infecting kids with our homosexuality has probably crossed their minds - as absurd as the notion might be. If I could infect anyone, I wouldn't infect a kid. I'd grab Chris Evans and infect him with my gayness :P

Well. you're a boy, boy :)

I can deal with the broken sleep. I'm already having it all the time now with work, ru!

Thanks for the support, jdc.

Hugs, closetalk!

Well, jay, your posts inspired mine actually.

Paul

Wild Reeds said...

Spending time with kids is the BEST. I have a niece who's five, and one of the happiest times of the week for me is to teach her scrabble, and watch her learn new words.

savante said...

Scrabble to a five year old! How cute is that!

Paul