Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Evening matinee

Since poor Big Bicep Barry has been terribly busy at work - judging by the erratic messages I receive every once in a while griping, I didn't expect to get a call for a movie this evening.

On the phoneRostered to the intensive care unit lately, I've been running ragged in the mornings which leaves me pretty tuckered out by five so I'm usually napping at home before dinner. After my refreshing catnap, I'd just about dragged myself from the couch to head out to dinner when I got an interesting message from him.

Barry : Are you on-call or something?
Paul : Uhh.. no. Napping.
Barry : Ops. Am I bothering you?
Paul : Nah. Already woke up. Wassup?
Barry : Wanna go for a movie? Any damned movie. I need a break.

Obviously all that work-related stress ( compounded with the recent fuel-price hike ) has dampened somewhat his usual bonhomie. Unfortunately the common fare showing at the cinema didn't seem at all appetizing so we ended up watching Brokeback Mountain over at my place. With his incomprehensible obsession for munching on shoots and leaves, any offers of calorie-laden chips and popcorn was violently repudiated especially since he claims to have put on some possibly imaginary weight since Chinese New Year. However he did accept a glass of plain water for sustenance.

As I flicked on the DVD player, we settled on the couch comfortably - and I maintained a respectful distance two pillows apart since I'd committed myself to certain strict principles of avoidance - apart from a certain someone I have my eye on.

There's no doubt about it though, the movie is just as captivating and engrossing the third time around ( and unfortunately Ennis del Mar still mumbles incoherently with his thin-lipped mouth shut ). Although I managed to control my emotions this time - without bawling quite uncontrollably like a bubbling waterpot, it was clear that Barry was seriously moved by the heartbreaking tale since there were visibly unshed tears in his eyes near the haunting end when the silently grieving Ennis del Mar grips his lover's shirt in his fists.

Paul : So you don't think Ennis is a two-bit coward / loser?
Barry : You're too harsh. It must be hard denying his own feelings. Obviously he was just as angry with himself and his patent inability to trust his own instincts.
Paul : Hmmm...
Barry : Hell, I don't blame him. Even I'm lousy with commitment.
Paul : You are?
Barry : Trust me. I might look like the sensitive new age guy but I'm actually deathly afraid of commitment.

Hmmm... so where is this coming from?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't he suggesting he is the perfect one night stand? no? I am extremely amazed that nothing happened there at your place. Why, oh god why?

savante said...

Actually typed this all in real time since I was online at the time. Shigeki, the factory - well, work - called. I told him to go.

Paul

Maximus Leo said...

That was so close and nothing happened! Wow - amazing.....your strict adherence to principles must stand pretty high now!

On Brokeback Mountain - no doubt is a gay love story...at the end it is still a love story. Straight or gay! I guess anyone who knows about love and commitment will feel for it!

Anonymous said...

I bet he likes u and is gona commit soon... so make it easy..4 him .. nice guy :D

MrBunnyBan said...

...You had to tell him to go?

Interesting...

Petie said...

He didn't like commitment? Perhaps it's times to find another guy? :P

I just get reacquinted with a Thai/Chinese/Burmese guy. Wanna know more? :)

hrugaar said...

Does sound like Barry was getting close to coming out to you. Could be that his heart is breaking inside him, if he's identifying wih Ennis that much. Or maybe he will turn out to be a proper Mr Darcy, finding it hard to tell you how he feels about you.

Give him more opportunities like that to talk. :o)

Jay said...

Barry is sending out every signal in the book (if there is a book) short of ripping off your y-fronts and chowing down on your penis.

For his sake, for your sake, but mainly for OUR sake, please go and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Oops got shouty there for a moment.

Sue said...

So, let's assume he wants you, but is lousy with committment. He does, however, seem committed as a loyal friend. I wonder if that would help? See he is attracted to more than the physical with you. It is so romantic!!! More on the assumption, I agree with others on Barry's sexual identity status as far as watching the movie. Conclusion: he is gay AND he wants you.

Anonymous said...

1. he his 110% PLU. No doubt about it. If he is not, I will turn myself into a st8 guy instead.

2. what the hell are u thinking? 2 pillows apart? jeez..what is wrong with you?? by doing that you giving him the wrong signal altogether. next time...throw away the pillow n sit next to him. better still lay you head on his lap while watching the movie..

3. afraid of commitment? can i translate that as "love this love that more, but love the other one even more"?

4. maybe you are his choice for him to lose in virginity, but dont want u to have feeling for him..

ça va pas la tête said...

I think a lot of people are afraid of commitment and dont even know it. So, your Barry is actually pretty cool liau!

Anonymous said...

Damn! The scene in "Evening Matinee" resembles rather closely to my earlier comment in "Late Bite", except that Mr Bicep wasn't having his mouthful of tom yum noodles. Why didn't you let him lean his head with teary eyes over your shoulder? What are you waiting for, doc?

kent

savante said...

Not sure what came over Barry to suggest watching the show but hey, who knows! And anyway, Charming Cal is weaving his way into my wild imagination :)

Maximus leo! Can't say anything for sure at the moment!

Anon, there's no doubt that he's one of the good guys.

It was work. He had to go, Daniel. Nothing wild or woolly about it.

Tell me more, Pete!

chas, we'll see how it goes.

A talk sounds like a good thing, ru!

Will do something about everything soon as possible, Jay!

He certainly is a loyal friend after all, sue, and that's how I'm gonna take it for now. Not gonna think about the rest, pakcik.

ca va, he is pretty cool.

Well, kent! He was actually leaning behind me.

Paul

Anonymous said...

I have a book MS with so much of this same type of masked sexual tension. So in the words of "Mom" in the MS. Would you two just have sex and get it overwith????

Just joking. Actually, I like the excitement leading up to it....I'm just hoping our hero's love interest doesn't disappoint!!!! :0)

savante said...

If I had sex with barry, there'd be video feed :P

paul

Anonymous said...

seriously.....the tension is too much. quite honestly, put the move on him already,before he backs out and changes his mind. Strike while the iron is hot hot hot.
About the live feed....make it good.
^_~