Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Last Stand

Since the course ended early - shhh... don't tell anyone... - I hastily sneaked back home as soon as the certificates were handed out. Sure, rather than being a pain in the ass, this particular medical course has turned out to be a lazy, sleepy margarita-soaked weekend at the beach - with free internet access. What else could a man ask for?

I did ask for the prerequisite hunky cabana boy but the organisers claimed that financial constraints precluded such frivolous perks.

Well, we can't have everything. But I did have my stolen rewards - an early afternoon back home resting on my Balinese teak daybed rifling through my comicbook collection. It has been a while since I've actually been able to concentrate on the complicated storylines. Since I've been busy with work - and on the rare occasion with my studies, I haven't been able to regularly follow the sexual shenanigans of Scott and Emma ( still don't understand what the hell's up with the terribly mismatched mutant pair ), the tribulations of Dick Grayson ( my future husband! ) or even the schooltime blues of Smallville's Conner Kent.

Most times - since I haven't been keeping up with the regular issues, I usually drop by the bookstores to purchase the collected trade paperbacks and graphic novels - haggling amongst the pimpled adolescent boys brawling over their precious Magic cards.

Way back when, what started me on comics? Well, doubt I could answer that question. Perhaps it was the secret identities of the heroes - hiding their true selves - that rang true for me back when I was hiding amongst the shadows in an all-boys school. Or perhaps the embattled Homo Superior battling prejudice and distrust from their ivy-covered mansion in Salem struck a chord in me. Then again, it could be as simple as the hot guys in the tight spandex.

Wolverine!
Hugh Jackman. Ah.

So you can expect news of the X-Men's latest movie, the Last Stand, to have me singing a happy tune. One of my favourite characters, the indomitable yet much maligned Jean Grey rises from the proverbial ashes, and we get to see Logan display his big biceps again ( not to mention the husky Colossus ). Now, doesn't that make you wanna sing?

11 comments:

Maximus Leo said...

Well, I would like to think that it was for world peace that these comic heros were on earth for some reasons - good over evil! :-) And that's why you have decided to be a Doctor helping all sorts of people and earning good karma credits!

On the other hand - the tight spandex and the muscular bods could be the real fantasies.... :-)

Petie said...

You were right about the Colossus guy. Man he was HugE and he's only in his early 20s at most fromwhat I have read about him.

And have notice how most men in movies and TVs only wore boxers? :PPP Even when they Should be wearing brief, a really tight pair of briefs...

akihisa said...

Wah, I didn't know you still read comics, Paul?!!!

Looks like you're "still a kid" yourself. ;p

hrugaar said...

It's the hot guys in tight spandex. And the sexy spectacles of their alter-egos. ;oP

Anonymous said...

Not a fan of comic books, as they are all too-masculine for me. But hot guys with ripping bodies screaming to break free from their spandex suits... why not? ^_^

Anonymous said...

Can "Pedang Setiawan" be consider as comic? That is the only thing that I read..though technically it is not mine. My older brother collect those stuff n I just happen to read it along the way ;)

MrBunnyBan said...

Heh, my brother still collects comics. Of the lot, X-men is definately my favourite, as are the recent Marvel movies. X-men have that 'draw' for us I guess. Pity Northstar isn't in the movies yet (Marvel's first gay super hero)

Jay said...

Oi! What's wrong with our precious Magic cards? Some of them are bloody expensive, you know.

I used to buy soooo many comics. These days I just buy trade paperbacks - collected storylines in one volume.

Anonymous said...

X-Men was like the favourite comic of my teens! Obviously I just can't wait for X3.

Oh and to see Mr. Jackman again -drool-

Squido said...

i love Jean grey, such a lovable character and not to mention, dominating powers. She could do with a bit of self confidence and less of self-doubt.

Now, if i have telekeinetic powers, what will i do with it ;)

heeheee....

savante said...

Become a doctor to help people? Darling Ian... that never even crossed my mind :P Just an afterthought perhaps.

Colossus is hot! When he burst out of the dorm in XMen II, I almost swooned, pete!

I'm a child at heart, ahmad.

Ah, hot guys in spandex. Yum.

Not a fan?! mark, I need to brainwash you! Come over and lemme feed you with comics!

I guess I can accept Pedang Setiawan as a comicbook of sorts.

You have comics too, Daniel. I am stunned.

Is it me or do gay boys gravitate to comics, jay? Even weeshiong is an X-Men fan. I think it's the spandex and the colours.

Well in the comics, I think Jean did break out of her boring goody two shoes shell. Of course that was before Magneto whacked her.

Paul