Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Men and ties

Apart from an excuse to pig out at the endless luncheons, a medical course seems like the perfect time for doctors to slack off and turn into absolute slobs. Not that they're all perfectly turned out at work ( only immaculate dresser I can think of is Handsome Hui - and that's actually one of the ticks I have on his possibly gay list ) but somehow once they're out of the office, they seem to delight in showing off their collection of garishly coloured, paisley-patterned ties. Sure I'm no sartorial guru but honestly, orange and lime only looks nice on a fruit, figuratively or otherwise - just think Stanford Blatch, the enviable fag who managed to hook a hunk with abs good enough to grate cheese on.

For some incomprehensible reason, the majority of male doctors find wearing ties a singularly punishing burden and tend to leave the tie half-askew, as if they just stepped out half-soused from a lowly dive or so tightly knotted, it looks like they should be hanging lifeless from a slowly twisting ceiling fan. A number even have pitifully sloppy knots that seem to have been hurriedly tied by an unhandy toddler already overdosed with sedative hot milk.

Fashion wise, men are actually hemmed in by societal prejudice. Quick to take advantage of the situation, the savvier ladies of the past century have snatched all the laces and the frills for their own - leaving our fashion-challenged ancestors with staid shirts, simple slacks and plaid colours. Seriously, apart from jauntering about in shocking neon pink hot pants or resorting to man skirts, changing ties seems to be the only logical way of showing any form of expression at work, sartorially speaking. Somehow, I doubt any of our patients would enjoy the sight of their doctor rushing about in hot pants.

Naked but for a tie
Don't I look hot in a psychedelic tie?

Looks like I'm probably in the minority here ( judging by this informative treatise on ties ) but I actually love ties. Don't get me wrong. I'm not obsessed with ties - I certainly wouldn't die for an Italian silk tie ( so smooth, so shiny! ) but I would probably shed a tear or two over one that was irreparably lost. The tie is like that deliciously smooth icing on the top of the cake - doesn't have to be there to be sure but it just gives the cake that final finishing touch. When we met, Charming Calvin's first gift to me was a tie - which was absolutely perfect if you ask me - a dazzling silk confection of chocolate and cream that just begs to be savoured.

Recently on my shopping trip, I purchased two extravagantly priced ties that I've just been waiting for an opportunity to show off - and there's nothing like a medical course for that. :) Guess I'm just as bad as the rest of them.

And let's face it, ties make a man even hotter.

20 comments:

Sue said...

Beautiful imagery used in second paragraph. Now, don't be getting a swelled head!

Maximus Leo said...

What was that? A tie fetish eh? :-) I sensed some sexual tension here :-)

Anyway, I use to love ties but then it got a bit too much for me! I ended with too many of them and over paid for some of them as well. Then I found a job that do not require these ties and love it.... But now I have to wear them again!

Anonymous said...

Hey...I like orange...I often wear orange tees or a "mesh" orange shirt over a white or yellow tee. Guess I really am a fruit. Although, I was told by one of my friends that only pot smokers wore orange....hmmm.

Love the tie pic. I like ties, but don't often wear them. My job has a "casual dress" code.

Wonder if you could talk Barry into modeling them for you?

savante said...

Thanks, sue. Blushing now.

Ian, I've always liked ties... especially when they're wrapped around a man's powerful wrists.

Orange shirts!? :O Just sent a message to Barry. Doesn't believe in ties either - perhaps his neck is too thick. :P

Boy, if that's my torso in the pic, I'd go half naked all week long and change halfnekkid thursdays into totally naked thursdays.

Paul

Petie said...

Personally I hate ties... I felt like it is a hanging noose when I have to wear one. Ties are So.. Western. We Easterns should come up with a better formal dress code for teh hot tropical weather!!

Anonymous said...

I think I have like 40 different ties... You know what grosses me out? Ties cannot be washed frequently and I am wondering how dirty they get but I wear them anyway. Of course, I dry clean them once in a while.

Will said...

Wasn't there a medical study somewhere stating that a typical doctor's tie contains more germs than a toilet seat? Heh.

I love ties too! I only wear them twice a year (the rest of the year is the same boring old uniform). I wanna learn how to tie a perfect knot with a dimple in the middle!

BTW I think G2000 has heavenly ties. Raoul had some amazing ones last season, this season's patterns are just eh.

Just Me said...

I do love a man in a tie. Especially if he is tied to my bed post with them. :) Seriously!

NeiLDC said...

i love wearing tie as well,if you have plain shirt you must have plain tie but it must be the shade of it!
more more more!

hrugaar said...

I heard recently there's a proposal in the UK now to ban doctors from wearing ties when they visit patients, because of the number of germs ties can carry. I dunno. Maybe doctors should just wear nothing except for clean white underwear. ;oP

Anonymous said...

Hmm i can't help but ask..if you bloggers out there can help with some dress sense, what color shirt goes with what color ties etc...& er there's the pants?
Paul sweetie luv your stories,buy a nice tie for Barry?
John

Anonymous said...

I love ties..but if I can call correctly, I only have 11 ties, though honestly, I only use 4 in regular basis.

There was one time, well, actually last Monday, a friend of mine asked me if I can help him to show how to do a tie as his attending an interview the next day..what happen was, I did manage to teach him how to do it, but ended up tied both of him hand and screwed him up upside down on my bed :) that was fun though..

ps : I can only do single knot rather than a double one does not matter how hard i tried. dammit this tie thing..

Anonymous said...

i love seeing men who wear tie (case in point: this morning a hunkylicious guy got into the bus wearing an orange tie. hideous tie, but still made me drooling) but i myself can't really be bothered with it. too bothersome IMO.

Anonymous said...

Have been wearing ties since school days and can now perfectly tie a windsor knot while waiting for the traffic light to turn green during rush hour...

It has become a part and parcel of my daily life apprarel that after reading your blogs...I just realised I have a whole rack full of ties in my room...not to mention some hung behind my office door and one or two in my car's dashboard...hoo boy...is this a strange fetish with neck ties that i never realised..or maybe I'm into bondage and tat's why its always around hahahahaha..

Anyway, can never resist buying ties whenever I'm out shopping...practically, whenever I get a new shirt, I will have to get a new tie or two to match that shirt..even though I might have 5 at home that would actually match it....but no..got to get a new one :P

Anyway...I know some medical doctors who really look great..contrary to what you've posted and some are practically to die for.. unfortunately..as you've mentioned..none so far in Malaysia..or maybe..there's one or two in General Hospital Kuching...but that's all....the rest are those doctors I've met overseas..and incidently...they do tend to turn out to be gay....

savante said...

Something Eastern, pete? Much too diverse to decide on one!

You've got something there, boy.

I think I have about 40 myself, shigeki :) I usually wash them periodically. All that blood and gore.. yuck.

Which leads to Wingedman's comments :) I know! But I try to wash them every once in a while. I can tie the tie with a dimple in the middle. No prob!

True, cr. N.armstrong.. all depends on the shade and the pattern. So you have to tell us what you're wearing, johnson.

Only clean white underwear? It'd get cold, ru!

Only single knots, pakcik? You must be really tall then - or else your tie's hanging down to your knee :P

Don't be shocked but I do have a single orange tie, asmadi.

You sure about the cute doctors? I am so transferring to Kuching!

Paul

Wild Reeds said...

Savante, you bring beauty to any subject you touch.

savante said...

Thanks, wild reeds. :) Then again, all I wanna do is bring myself to touch the beauties.

Paul

MrBunnyBan said...

Ties...hate em. Feel utterly stranggled, ugh. Haven't had to wear them for years now since my work doesn't need ties. Don't think I can even remember how to tie one anymore. :p

hrugaar said...

Paul, you docs are too hot to get cold. ;oP

savante said...

I'll teach ya, Danny boy.

Hot doctors?! :O

Paul