Monday, April 24, 2006

Gym myths

Hmmm...During my workdays, I live something close to a vampiric life and find it almost impossible to face the sun. After all I wake up too early for the sun to rise, spend the rest of my day cooped up in a dark labyrinthine office which is shielded and then by the time I get back, I find the sun already fast sinking in the far horizon. Sometimes I start to wonder whether getting hit directly by the rays of the sun might just make me sizzle and spark before decomposing into a pile of forgotten dust. Not exactly the best way to get an all-over tan.

Which isn't what I'm looking for anyway. Although getting dark has never seemed to be much of a problem for me since I tan easily, it has never occurred to me that there are Asian boyz out there who actually wish to get darker. Comes as quite a surprise to me since it's been the usual sociopolitical gripe that a number of Asians have this odd post-colonial hang-up over being preternaturally fair. Rather than being naturally tanned as their wont, they lather on tons of moisturising creams and skin whitening solutions hoping to resemble the pale, anaemic creatures of the Underworld. Generous amounts of sunblock with SPF 1000 are layered on to hide their magnolia skin from the damaging rays of the sun.

That doesn't seem to be the case for the obsessive gym freaks however. Since I heard it from at least three unbiased sources in as many days, I figure it had to be pretty true. It occurred during a sunblock purchasing expedition that turned into an educational experience for me. Instead of getting the highest possible SPF, my surfer dude pal decided on a cheap skin lotion that's just masquerading as a sunblock ( such minimal SPF that it might as well not have any protection! ). According to the surprisingly well-read Big Bicep Barry, getting an all-over tan helps accentuate the contours of the body and enhance the muscle definition.

Whoa now, is that true? Perhaps if I sat in the sun an hour longer each day and got a shade darker, I'd look more defined!

13 comments:

quicksilverlining said...

hehe. dark skin reduces reflection, which makes you look like you have one flat surface. nothing too muscle-y about that now is it? besides, i think it's also due to the fact that gym freaks like to show of their efforts, and hence getting a nicer all round tan in the process. very complementary, don't you think?

Dave said...

you need that sunlight to 1) tan yourself to get a attractive tone to draw guys, 2) to absorb Vit D (which is FOC), 3) avoid people calling you a pak cham gai.

You need to visit the gym to 1) sweat yourself like hell, since one fall sick easily by cooping itself in a air-conditioned building, 2) to get that perfect bod, 3) to buy yourself a chance for your Mr Right. =)

BravingKL said...

erm.. contours enhancing or otherwise, i really care more about the premature aging effect of harmful rays *sound alarm bells* and subsequent loss of appeal to the general queer population *change to more dramatic alarm bells* :P

That Girl said...

well im dark enough.. i hate getting tanned.. sigh...when i was in canada i did have this kinda sickly pale look to me.. coz i was out of the sun so much.. and now.. i hide from it each time!!

Anonymous said...

im severly pale, i swear, i glow in the dark! was fitting a shirt in the dressing room once and noticed that my skin was almost transluscent! a bit of tan wudnt hurt. hides all those blemishes real well... unfortunately, i burn rather than tan. so i guess il have to get mine in a bottle then.

shine said...

Paul, notice that you must be gym fit then only the tan will bring out whatever fucking contour. Not just lying there getting roasted (or split roasted)!!!

:0)

rgds
shine

pakcik said...

ha.ha...what Shine said is true la Paul.

Just making yourself baked under the sun, will not make u more define that you are already are.

I wish my color yellowish a bit rather than tan ;)

Anonymous said...

I only it worked that way! The key words are 'accentuate' and 'enhance'. But maybe eight hours in the sun will help melt some of the flab off la! For me, I meant :)

AJ said...

why not attach those "zap zap pads" to your body as you tan? that way you WILL lose weight by just lying down.. but of course there are the white patches to worry about...

savante said...

quicksilver, true enough but I think it could be true that darker skin shows off the muscles better.

All too true, dave. Sigh. But I hate going to the gym - prefer other methods of sweating it out.

bravingkl and grafxgurl have it right though. Doesn't the rays make you look older?

Good God, get out a bit, designdoc!

Hey, it was a joke, shine and pakcik, I know I gotta get to the gym. Boring. Wish aj and ws were right - and lyingd own with some zap zap stuff would burn off the flab.

Paul

Maximus Leo said...

Funny you raised this topic! The Asian gay culture is always looking the tanest..... and the darker you are the better it is (the more sexier....) That goes with the overall image as well - i e body fat of less than 10%. To my pee brain interpretation - it's so superficial-that's probably why I'm still single and closeted!

Just Me said...

That is so true, if you have a nice tan it also makes you look skinnier.

savante said...

Ian, tanner is better?! How odd.

Hey, I have a great tan, cr but I don't look any thinner!

Paul