Sunday, April 23, 2006

Island Chase

Since Big Bicep Barry took off for his biannual dose of sun, sand and sea recently, it actually gave me the inspiration to check out some surfers. Online that is. Being at home certainly doesn't stop me from shopping at all. Especially these days with so many online stores available at the click of a button.

Since I live only minutes away from the nearest beach, the allure of the sandy beaches have never been all that clear to me. One or two days lazing at the beach with a good novel in hand sounds alright by me but any longer than that and I'd grow heartily bored. That doesn't seem to be the ase for Barry - who simply adores the sea - and of course for Kimo Kanapa'aka.

Waiting for the perfect waveBrowsing along the shelves online, I found the tale of a sexy, macho detective in Hawaii who leaps on a surfboard on his off days. Oh yeah, and Kimo's also gay by the way. Amid the tropical flowers and the thundering surf, this hard-boiled cop battles sexual discrimination as he finds himself inadvertently outed in the middle of his most dangerous case yet. Like any good mystery, there are interesting subplots simmering apart from the main plot, a host of faintly mysterious characters - and as always the omnipresent role that the Hawaiian islands play in the background.

And at the end of the day hoping to forget his troubles, Kimo takes to the sea with a surfboard in hand. Since I'm not such a strong swimmer, it never occurred to me to even try surfing although I've always admired the ease and skill - alright, and the bodies - of the surfers I've seen.

Paul : So have you ever surfed?
Barry : I am poor. I can barely afford scuba diving!
Paul : Liar.
Barry : My camera fell in the ocean. I am poor.
Paul : Start a donation box. Sort of a Save Barry's Camera Fund.
Barry : Good idea. And how much would you give?
Paul : Depends on the going rate.
Barry : I think I'd need more than that from you.

See why I have the sudden interest in surfing?

12 comments:

Sue said...

I am still struggling with how you could live minutes from the beach and be a poor swimmer. Have you ever body surfed, snorkled, or borrowed a surf board? There are lots of nearly naked guys at the beach...

Anonymous said...

Maybe you are like me, I'm not going near water UNTIL I learn to swim! surfing: yeah, but can you hang ten?

hrugaar said...

I live minutes from the beach but I've never been a strong swimmer, my sister was the water-baby of the family. Think I'm better at watching surfers than trying to be one.

And Barry had his camera out on the ocean because ... ? ;oP

quicksilverlining said...

i was more of a floater than a swimmer, given water is denser than fat, lolz. but yes, i must agree that it's more fascinating watching than actually doing. since you can't be doing much sightseeing while preoccupied with staying un-submarine.

pakcik said...

asked Barry to teach you how to swim lah. During that teaching time, it can lead into something intimacy ;)

give it a try. if nothing happen, at least you know how to swim in the future, n can easily mingle with the rest of the beach boy.

Matt. K. said...

"One or two days lazing at the beach with a good novel in hand sounds alright by me but any longer than that and I'd grow heartily bored."

That's very true for me.

Is it true that BBB dropped his camera into the sea? If it is, what a waste! "I think I'd need more than that from you." I think he's hinting something. He needs more than money from you. Maybe he needs you? :P

And why even bother pondering about surfing when you can watch them hot bodies surf for you? I'd rather be a spectator than a performer. If everyone of us decided to take up surfing because of the hot bodies, we'll eventually turn out looking like them. At that time, who else is there to admire them?

There needs to be balance in this world. There are equal number of hot people and not-so-hot people.If everyone has bodies like the ones we are admiring now, there's no one left in this world to admire us back in return.

So, just sit back, relax and enjoy the wave. Read a novel and watch all those half-naked men flaunting around their hotness and let your imagination flow with the wave!

Maximus Leo said...

That last line of yours - sounds like an opening to something good!! :-) Bloody good time to take up swimming and surfing....

ça va pas la tête said...

Paul, Swim away... with your barry...

savante said...

Too lazy and never had the time to go swimming all the time, sue.

Don't have that strong waves over here so it's not that easy to hang ten over here.

Only wish that we did have hunks baking their muscles over here. hardly any, g_C.

Barry likes taking photos, ru. So that's explanation enough, I guess.

quicksilver :)!

You are so right, pakcik but it'd be so embarassing.

Yeah, he did lose his camera. Poor guy. And it wasn't exactly cheap either!

cava and ian... if wishes were horses :)

Paul

Musang said...

i agreed with pakcik's suggestion.

ask him to teach you how to swim. and of course he'll be the gentleman and teach you. there'll be a lot of touching during the course though... and that will lead to something else... *evil thoughts*

why malu?

Just Me said...

You should take up swimming and go on vacation with Barry. Just imagine all of the trouble you could get into.

savante said...

That means I'm gonna have to go find my swim trunks! Musang!

Vacation with cr and stare at fish? Nah!

Paul