Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Singing your heart out

Sometimes outwardly friends simply really have nothing in common. He's an alfalfa-munching, weight-lifting sales exec and I'm a chocolate-cake-eating, internet blogging freak. With Big Bicep Barry's obsession for diving and photography and my obsession with interior decorating and hardcovers, it seems that the twain shall never meet. Except of course for our shared predilection for movies - and recently American Idol.

Come on, who hasn't blogged about the Idol by now? For once I'm gonna name my favourite since he doesn't seem to have caught on with the rest of the American audience ( and I have a feeling he isn't going to be around till the end since popularity polls always have him scraping the bottom ). To those who have commented on the smooth shiny exteriors of the hunks I have on my blog, let me present Elliott Yamin who is far from the gleaming, air-brushed gym-bod perfection that you normally see here. Don't be shocked but I'm not all that shallow :) For me, I think he has one of the smoothest, clearest voices ever - and certainly stands heads and shoulders above the other male singers in the contest presently.

Elliott Yamin

Unfortunately, his shy sincerity, his slightly hunched attitude and his admittedly quirky looks doesn't seem to have impressed the American voters. They like their contestants bright, bold and brash and let's face it, the man is certainly no pretty swan out to sway the audience with his good looks ( for some quick male eye candy we have the irrepressible Ryan Seacrest after all ) - and a quick dental appointment after the show wouldn't be amiss for him.

One comment I gotta make is on the judges. It is always odd to see the stern judge Simon Cowell being booed down for his admittedly nasty, acerbic comments. Let's be honest here, it wouldn't be at all uncommon over here in Asia. Not that I'm a fan of tough love but overblown praise is certainly a no-no over here and more often than not, the comments we normally receive at work and school do sound eeriely similar to Simon's worst taunts. Never liked it of course but honestly though I'd much prefer well placed, constructive advice rather than neverending, seemingly sincere sugar coated comments.

Then again, I'm a Scorpio.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw, he's actually kinda cute. ;-)
and yes, my flatmate is a HUGE fan of grey's anatomy.

allan said...

good thing... i did not miss out american idol episode when i was in davao last week. pics are posted in my blog. =)

Anonymous said...

I think the bitterness does go great with the british accent in my opinion. If he didn't speak that way, he would not have been simon... But I'd love to give him a cold comment about his black tasteless boring shirt for once.

savante said...

Yeah, closetalk, he is cute in his own inimitable way!

agc_disu, this week's episode was certainly better actually.

Bitter Englishman, eh? Yeah, it does sound good on him though the black tee has to go.

Paul

quicksilverlining said...

don't quite fancy any of the idols. wanna hear good singing, go old school. most people these days have power, maybe, control, maybe, but no character. possibly because all the characters have already been taken.

Just Me said...

I don't think Elliot is going to win either. Unfortunately his looks are keeping him down. It's America, we are shallow people.

Who do you think is going to win?

Matt. K. said...

I've been missing out on Idols alot lately. Don't know who might win. Just can't seem to find the time to watch American Idol anymore. I'm a fan of Paris Latsis and Kellie Pickler, although Chris Daughtry and Ace Young has the hots! I love Chris Daughtry!

savante said...

Old school, quicksilver?

Not sure who's gonna win but I hope not Taylor :P

Love Chris Daughtry too ( he rocks! ) but I think Elliott has the better voice, matt.

Paul

Musang said...

i'm not a huge fan of american idol. but there is one contestant that i drool over everytime the Ai ad flashes over the screen.

can't remember his name. but he's bald, rocker like, very macho look and looks like a cowboy.

i'm SO gonna 'brokeback mountain' him. LOL.

joshua said...

i believe chris daughtry has a higher chance to be the american idol. many factors will shall set forth elliot's exit (though i hope he stays as long as possible, top 4? 5?)

being the good, well-bred and mannered boy next door has lost its charms among the masses.

what a pity.

akihisa said...

Hi Paul! Haven't been here in a while.

The guys on American Idol for this season don't do it for me. Most of them don't have the complete package. Well, maybe Chris Daughtry does. But, I'll be rooting for the girls, especially, Paris and Katherine.

I'm having a McFever!! LOL!

Francis Ford Faggola said...

I have said this before... Elliot Yamin is my husband!! Hehhehe... I support Elliot and Katharine McPhee. I too have been struck by the McPheever.

Btw, Matrian, AI5's Paris' last name is not Latsis. She's a Bennett.

Anonymous said...

i think chris daughtry is going to win because his voice is like a vibrator! sure, i like elliot yamin's voice, but chris sings to the genitalia.

gf

Jay said...

The audience can boo him all they like, but Simon Cowell's comments carry far more weight than Randy "You nailed it dawg" Jackson and Paula "You really made it your own" Abdul combined.

One good word from Simon and the contestants look like they've just won the lottery.

hrugaar said...

I don't watch American Idol, nor the UK version of the show. Not my kind of thing at all.

But I can do acerbic comments with the English accent, on th erare occasions when I'm so minded. ;oP

quicksilverlining said...

err, old school meaning the classic singers; BeeGees, Simon and Garfunkel, Stylistics (no, MJ is NOT a classic). those things. those days, your looks mattered little, your voice meant everything. damn you britney, you changed the whole fucking market.

Anonymous said...

the last time i watch American Idol was with Alex..n that's it as he is a huge fan of the reality tv show. Not for me though..i still opt for Akademi Fantasia...

Anonymous said...

the last time i watch American Idol was with Alex..n that's it as he is a huge fan of the reality tv show. Not for me though..i still opt for Akademi Fantasia...

Bobby Xanadu said...

I have become a serious American Idol geek. And right now, Elliott is my favorite guy. I fell in love with him early on and yes, of all the guys, his voice is the smoothest and best of all. Not that I am biased or anything (but I kind of am). :) I think it's ridiculous that we have to be so shallow -- damn us all anyway! This is what happens over and over again. Do people forget this about peoples' ability to SING -- not how they look. Get a clue America!

Joel said...

I thought he would get the ax tonight but boy was I ever off. The 3 that were not in the bottom were I THOUGHT would be!

Anyways...I think the show would have never gotten a second look without Simon...he is what made people start tuning in. They may boo him but without him, the show would have been a bust...IMHO

savante said...

musang, that's Chris Daughtry and he's hawt. Wouldn't mind rocking his world too.

I know, joshua. I just hope the voters finally see his charm before it's too late.

Ahmad... how about my darlin Elliott! Even Holden likes him!

Sings to the genitalia. I like it, gf :)

Better the rare praise than sugary comments all the time, jay!

GASP! ru, you're so gonna watch it!

Oh. Quicksilver.

Still like Idol more. Except for Daniel the lesbo of course :)

Vote for him, Rob!

True, Scotty, Simon Cowell is reason enough to watch!

Omigod. Thanks, Chas!

Paul

Anonymous said...

i absolutely adore elliot. i think hes the best among the male singers, considering hes deaf in one ear!. true he may not loot that stunning, but man, just cant help but love the guy! im so freaking happy they finally booted out ace young! hes good looking but puh-leese! hes competing in the wrong show!