Thursday, May 25, 2006

Charmed Ones

Very few drama series actually manage to finish with a memorable swansong to remember ... one of the few greats that I've seen is Sex and the City which had all the loose ends beautifully tied up in pink Prada ribbons with all the girls getting the delicious happy-ever-afters they deserved - while the comedy FRIENDS unfortunately botched it up a little close to the finale.

Drew FullerLots of slips and misses in their final season but the Charmed Ones finally managed to make magic in the end with what comes close to a perfect finale. There's magic in every family but just that little extra in the Halliwell family that makes them special. Believe it or not, I actually faithfully followed the fanciful tales of the Halliwell sisters till the end although the last few episodes dealing with a particular naive, bimbotic blond-sorority-witch really stretched my patience thin. There were times I really felt like reaching into the screen and smacking the blond bimbo ( shades of Business Bitch / Bountiful Betty ) around for being such a nitwit.

Despite the occasionally mind-numbingly stupid plotlines and the sillier villains, the series based on the three very different witches fed my thirst for the fey, the fanciful and the supernatural. The fact that the accompanying side dishes were all serious male eye-candy certainly only added to the charm.

A belief in the supernatural? Certainly unusual for a man supposedly dedicated to the pursuit of science but like many other Scorpios, I've always believed in the supernatural. Hard to dismiss such fanciful notions especially in an Asian country where tradition and superstition are inextricably linked - where Koranic verses are recited in the intensive care to cleanse the area and various little amulets and charms line the bed of a dying patient. Unlike the cynical, patently disbelieving scientist Dana Scully, I do actually believe that some things just can't be explained away by sheer logic and science.

Come on. Hasn't anyone else ever wished for that little bit of magic? A spell to make your unkempt hair look fabulous and that extra kilo of fat just melt away? A potion to make certain big-biceped men fall desperately in love? A brew to have that bland, boring blind date fall inexplicably unconscious into his bowl of soup? A curse to have your competitor babbling absolute rubbish while pole-dancing during an interview?

Or was that just me?

Despite the fact that gay men seem to know the mysterious inexplicable secrets of turning freak to fabulous ( surely a magic of its own! ), gay practitioners of the arts seem to be a rare breed indeed - unless you count the skanky homoerotic tales of the Brotherhood and Dante's Cove. Still I've managed to find a handful of stories. Just check out Kelley Armstrong's online fiction which tells the story of a budding sorcerer named Sean Nast. And of course my own humble self-penned bit of fiction entitled Practical Magic! :)

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd witnessed many unexplained cases that make me believe the existence of black magic. But they say it's better not to reveal too much about those experiences.

Stinging Rabbit said...

OMG! I can't believe you write in that website! I'm a scorpio too and I like supernatural things. I'm a Tarot reader in-training and adore everything magical. Hehe.

Ganymede said...

I would like it if you can spare me some magic for my paper tomorrow...
I'm dying doing the past year paper... Waaaaaaaaaaa~~~

famezgay said...

uhmnn i don't need to cut off the fat if i know those magic ahaha.. I want to charm those hunky cute guys with those magic ahaha...come baby come follow me hahaha!

MrBunnyBan said...

Heh, already read Practical Magic. Your prefered way of ending tales shows through. :)

But the vid links Paul? Ew. Just ew.

Anonymous said...

When I was young my mother made me wear all sorts of talisman to protect me from the evil eyes/spirit.I didn't believe in them but, there was certainly a sense of security when I wore them.

quicksilverlining said...

i like to explain everything, but i don't always use science, cuz that would be boring.

a bit of magecraft would be useful. certainly, if we can't melt the pounds off with an incantation, we can at least mask it with suitable mind altering spells, no?

That Girl said...

magis never works for me...ive been sorely ignored and overlooked by it allmy life.

gah.

savante said...

Whoa, anon.

Hey, same as me. I have a bunch of tarot cards too, silentside.

Oh, exams, don't remind me, defiant! I'm getting scared myself/

I wish it could do so too, ceusm.

Hey, the vids are meant to be ew and delicious, daniel.

Does it work, imphaldiary?

Nah, I'm more of a believer that some stuff shouldn't be explained away.

grafxgurl, you're married. Proof that there's magic around :)

Paul

Maximus Leo said...

Right now...I wish for world peace! :-)

And I wish for someone to bump into me and voila-love struck (magic in the air!) at the least expected place!

Squido said...

Aye~ sometimes the plot is so dumb/slow you feel that even moron could see through the scheme/trick and i do feel like slapping that girl with a book and tell to get on with the demon fighting other than trying to *yawn* steal the powers and/or destory the sister. Again.

But a spell to make all the asswipes move to another planet or diemension is greatly appreciated. xD

Xavier said...

hahaha... errr yours truly also a avid fan! i actually bought a few of the books.... grabbing it and quickly run to the coutner to pay hoping nobody notices it!

yeah, i think i grow up with Charmed...

Anonymous said...

I am sure it was a coincidence but I somehow told one of those deaths to something as a favor and it worked..... I freaked out. Since then , I promised myself I wouldn't do that. Is that what? huh.

Musang said...

well, i do believe magics... to a certain degree. which is why i'm still in my quest to find minyak pengasih. LOL.

am gonna sprinkle it over paul walker if i get my hands on one.

Anonymous said...

ooh...which is ur favourite charmed one?...mine's definitely piper...she's pretty...

btw...i'd like to order a few potions from u...if u have any in stock...

1. intelligent potion...for passing those coming exams...
2. love potion...always a favourite i'm sure...s u already pointed out...

:)

Michael said...

For someone halfway around the world to write things that make me say, "Yes, I know what he feels!" or even just things that make me tingle in auspicious places....that's magic enough for me.

Signed,
Way Hotter Than Bill Nye, But Still A Science Guy

Anonymous said...

he isnt' rich...he's LOADED!...unfotunately though...he's married with 2 lil kids of his own...;)

Francis Ford Faggola said...

I love Charmed. I have the books. I am a freak for the supernatural stuff. Oh, and I love Supernatural, ehhehe.

NeiLDC said...

Im too Scorpio and i believe that we do have also the Superpowers indeed.Seductive and other stuff we could do.. Asian have this chants of rituals about magic or spells.Dantes Cove and Brotherhood was a good series anyway.but the cove a pity i didnt saw it!
"May the spirit of Luck be with you"

aiskrem_potong said...

arrgghhhh.... can't open that link. site is blocked (as always). stupid uae.

btw i love charmed!!!! not the storyline - just the dialogues. interesting - like the gilmore girls.

savante said...

World peace? Seriously, ian?

True enough, squido. Sometimes you just feel like smacking her.

You bouht the novels? God, you are a true blue fan, xavier and I'd have been embarassed.

Explain again, shigeki. What was that death thing about?

musang, find that minyak pengasih and give me some to sprinkle too :)

Favourited Charmed One? Definitely Prue. Strong, confident and not afraid to be a bitch.

Thanks, Michael.

A fan too, Holden!

Dante's Cove is returning, neil. :)

Exactly which site is blocked, aiskrem?

Paul

cliffdweller said...

wow...i love Charmed
i didn't want it to end
sigh

aiskrem_potong said...

your self-penned fiction paul..

Zemien said...

Hmmm... I just watched the finale last night. Can't say it was the best ever series finale. It didn't give me a warm glowing feeling like Sex and the City did. And where's Prue in the family portraits?

But I guess a redeeming point are the adult versions of Wyatt and Chris. What Absolut hunks!