Monday, June 05, 2006

Caffe, Tea or Me

Acclimatizing to a new workplace and environment is taking some time - almost as slow as my pending broadband application. Certainly gonna be a few more days or so before I'll get my regular internet fix, and that's leaving the net whore / addict in me with the nervous jitters and tics.

Fortunately that particular addiction is easily fed as all three connecting roads that lead out of my new home lead invariably to a Starbucks store ( cynical persons could say that all roads actually lead to the ubiquitous coffee chain ) which has left me spoilt for choice. Every which way I turn, I see the bewitching mermaid waving to me with her wifi bubble and a cup of caffe mocha. Unfortunately my caffeine embargo has forced me to limit my intake to a single cup of caffe mocha per day. Certainly no need to add to my occasional sleepless in the city woes by getting all revved up at night.

Since I only manage to make my way to a cup of java in the late evenings after work ( thwarted by miserable surgeons and slowpoke commuters, despite my relentless maniacal driving ), that leaves me bereft and unbearably grumpy in the mornings. Imagine if you will, my early hours in the morning seemingly spent staring at my coffee mug - sadly filled to the brim with weak, impotent tea, mealy milk or even plain jane aqua. Sad to say, certainly no match for their more robust, virile brother, coffee.

That should explain to the astonished black-garbed baristas manning the counter why I frequently gulp down the caffeine like a cachexic starved sailor stranded on a desert island. So please excuse the foam splashing up my cheeks and the fact that a river of black coffee has dripped halfway down my soaked shirt. That however doesn't fully explain the odd, irrespresible impulse just half an hour ago to slurp down the tall, sexy drink of water ( aka Foamy Fazley, the flirty dark-eyed barista who served me coffee while working up plenty of steam ) in one big gulp - before throwing him down amongst the comfortable looking sacks of coffee beans for an overnighter. Nothing like a good set of pecs to make me overlook that overly cheery greeting.

Milk bath
Not even milk will do!


Hmmm... see what a lack of caffeine does to me?

Literally bewitched by that irresistible sensory blend of the light jazz, the sizzling baristas and the freshly brewed, coffee afficianados can achieve near religious levels of devotion to a particular brand. That particular zealousness can't be held true for everyone of course since a crazed addiction to caffeine simply cannot be attributed to all.

More than a few of the visitors don't even have coffee mugs - which simply defies explanation. With all the seemingly affordable broadband packages around, the sheer number of pathetic nomads left without a connection still amazes me. Each time I lug my trusty laptop into a wifi spot, I'm usually left facing down dozens of similarly destitute creatures who lurk noiselessly in the dark in search of that internet shangri-la, jealously guarding their rickety table ( one table to rule them all? ) due to some misplaced sense of entitlement. Surely not all of them have been left waiting by the wayside by their broadband providers? What could possibly explain them sitting at all hours in the coffeehouse without budging an inch from their precious little corners of cyberspace? Don't they actually have a home somewhere?

But till my prince charming comes knocking on my door with broadband attached, I'll be here with my caffe mocha.

18 comments:

Ganymede said...

Yea~~~ First one. Huhuhu.

I know how you feel being so disconnected... Happens all the time in campus and with no wifi spot around.

Patient is virtue. :P

Petie said...

Coffee and green tea make me sleepy and drowsy after a while...

So no coffee for me :P

Jason said...

connection less? well once you get used to it, you find that the internet has nothing much to offer anymore. But drinking coffee and it spilling over you will not look like the guy in the underwear drinking milk. Unless of course you begin hallucinating! haha..

Annie said...

Having gone camping the last two days with no internet or cell phone connection, I did feel the dreaded withdrawal symptoms. The immediate panic wondering how civilized people could live without broadband! Ironic coming from me as I am the ultimate introvert and prefer solitude and silence to anything else. So, it must be an addiction. After the second day, one thinks that it’s quite liberating to be free from the internet addiction..

Then real life kicks you in the head and you’ve come to the conclusion you’ve always known - your choice of conversations involve either Dora the Explorer, Thomas the Tank Engine or a Japanese Drama Queen Mother who is a hypochondriac. .. I mean really, is there a choice?

Like Paul, I am also addicted to coffee, my lovely soy vanilla latte. Living near Seattle, you’d think I’d be a fan of Starbucks, but my loyalties and taste buds cry for the smoother buttery taste of Tully’s coffee beans. Starbucks coffee shops do offer wireless internet connections and comfy sofa/chairs. Luckily, my broadband at home has not failed me yet. So, I understand what Paul is going through.

Things happen for a reason though, and being in a coffee shop was meant to be. I recommend continuing to go there, find a comfy chair and table that you can claim as yours and be open to conversations by other coffee lovers.

Peace to you Paul

cliffdweller said...

i like the sweet drinks
hmm...i want a prince charming too

Dave said...

Not all Starbucks outlet in Spore comes with the wifi spot, at least from what i know.

Never mind, at least over there, Paul get to ogle at some cute looking baristas. Over here, during my days when i had my training in Starbucks, 2 cute handsome looking chap is my tutor, who teaches me patiently on how to sell merchandise and types of coffee beans around the world.

The remaining ones are taught by tomboys though. And just imagine you get at least one tomboy in Starbucks outlet, from my observation.

That Girl said...

i cant function without coffee....i wake up everymorning and if i havent had my coffee, my husband knows...he always says i croak when i dont have coffee.

Alex said...

Hahaha... no internet is sucky... we all know the feeling...
...Foamy Fazley? I think I encountered someone like that at one of the Starbucks..

AJ said...

Mocha? I'm more of a Rhumba person!

And never have I felt so grateful to be able to abuse the broadband connection at work.. Heh

Rick Bettencourt said...

You're a stronger man than I. I could never go without my pot of coffee each day. (jitter, jitter, jitter)

pink dolphin said...

cute baristas? Seriously? u gotta be kidding me.....

Starbucks rocks, eitherways..thank God JJ opened in (dead) Seremban with a Starbucks...(i miss KL!!) sob

Xavier said...

havent read ur post, but ur milk hunk caught my attention... that's the type that i like.... hehe

famezgay said...

internet is evil... can't live without internet damn...

mikey said...

I'm not a coffee person, AT ALL...Thank Jesus-Allah-Abraham-Buddha for that! The key to control food (or drink) craving is not to turn cold turkey instantly. Instead, use it as a positive reinforcer for reward.

Starbucks?! Hmmm...an American cultural and economic Imperialist, and it's getting bigger!

NeiLDC said...

Whoo, i love milk and coffee, but not that much on coffee.. In starbucks they right your name as well right, sometimes it was a wrong spelling but never mind as long as the coffee and the cinnamon is good and of course the one who gives the coffee..it increases the rythm of your heart. not the caffeine but on the rush of blood to your head! You know what i mean!

pakcik said...

wah..so milky ;)

i always have green tea n also tongkat ali power root coffee everyday without fail.

Wild Reeds said...

O my God. What a picture. Where do you FIND these hunks?!
Have you tried Dilmah lychee tea?

savante said...

Yea, defiant, you're the first :)

Newfound bursts of creative juices are just what I need right now actually - and I only wish the eye candy would wink back, sean :)

Makes you sleepy? Pete, how could that be!

Sad, isn't it. I think I'd look like a mess with milk spilt all over me too, jase.

Soy vanilla latte sounds divine, Anniieeeee.... and I'd love to hear about your queen mother :)

clive, we gotta wait a while for that :)

Not all the starbucks in Singapore come with wifi. dave. I am appalled.

Same over here, grafxgurl. I think we should start Caffeine Anonymous.

You met him too, alex? :)

Rhumba, aj? What's that!

I can't, rick! I'm trying to cut down on my addiction.

True, Seremban is pretty much a dead place, vas.

Like the guy myself, xavier.

You're right. The net is an addiction too, ceusm.

mikey, my friend Grim makes the same comments on Starbucks!

At least they usually don't get the name Paul wrong, neil :)

Surely you don't need tongkat ali, pakcik :)

Dilmah lychee, wildreeds?

Paul€