Saturday, June 03, 2006

Funk Shui

Let's face it, breakups are meant to be violent.

GamblerWith such an uncontrollable whirlwind of sheer emotions tossing everything about, hearts and the occasional chinaware are bound to be broken in the turmoil. When truly deep feelings are involved, diplomacy, tact and maturity are flung out the proverbial window as previous grievances and dirty laundry are aired out in the open for the gawking public.

So what happens when a relationship never actually takes off - but instead segues into a friendship of sorts? Well, it seems what you get is a surprising message from Macau.

Barry : Got you a token chip from Hotel Lisboa.
Paul : Cool. Enjoy yourself, big spender. Eat lotsa seafood.
Barry : You trying to make me fat?
Paul : Funny. Get me some cute guard lions if you see them cheap.
Barry : You? You believe in that?

Since he deigned to make the first move, obviously Big Bicep Barry has chosen to forgive me for my Freudian slip the other day - or he's possibly withholding the punishment till I'm close enough to throttle properly. Hard to tell with the big quiet guys.

Still not sure why Barry sounded so surprised though when he's actually seen the state of my house / antique junk store. Quite often those who venture into my blog come away with the erroneous idea that I'm a dedicated flag-waving Anglophile deep in the civilized portions of the Western world. Far be it for me to debunk such myths of course but I'm certainly far from the stereotype :)

Gambler

Not only is my house a literal treasure trove of knick knacks ( aka my cheap junk ) from my oft-mentioned travels in Europe, it's also chockful of Oriental thingamajigs arranged faithfully according to the tenets of Feng Shui - or at least as I see fit to interpret the rules. Serene Buddhas gaze down gently from my walls while framed sacred mantras march up the stairs along with my infamous Balinese teak door. Paired mandarin ducks are placed hopefully in the romance corner ( obviously needs a little something more in that direction! ), windchimes are hung at auspicious places to chime in the fortune coming my way and my study table is angled just so for my best position.

Certainly not an obsessive believer though since I probably wouldn't break down a wall just because my door is facing the wrong direction or shift to a different state just because the toilet is affecting my marriage. It would certainly strike some people as odd that a man supposedly of science is advocating such an esoteric way of life but from my way of thinking, I always figured we always need a little bit of help - since as every gambler would say, life's a game of chances.

Definitely more mystical forces working in this world than even brainy Einstein himself can explain so a little feng shui here and there to lend that helping hand never hurts.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luck luck luck for you, my friend. A little feng shui doesn't hurt, indeed. :-)

pink dolphin said...

and i was under the impression that science and feng shui dont mix?? hmmm

Petie said...

I had walk into Gaysorn plaza one day long time ago and saw a feng shui master giving out lecture of the subject.

He said that in feng shui, things can be correct by countering the affect and not necessery breaking down walls or completely rip up the front lawn.

famezgay said...

uhmnn welll we can always blame on fengshui if sth goes bad.. ekeke so i think its good to believe fengshui as well.. n of course i do believe it helps a bit n definitely make me feel better if everything in a good fengshui! (uhmnn it is a psychological effect i guess)

Patrick said...

Let just hope that you won't obsessed with those fengshui until you turn your house into forest like my friend. He stays in hutan khatulistiwa now!!

Anonymous said...

I find many different cultures interesting. They are very mysterious to me. What Shakespeare said: There are far greater things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in thy Philosophy.

Alex said...

I'm highly skeptical of feng shui! Still, if i wanna get rich, i won't be buying feng shui stuff... i'll become the seller!

pakcik said...

i'm not a believer too, but 2 of my housemate happen to be a fanatic when it come to feng shui. n it drive me insane.

well, that's the price u have to pay when you have a chinese housemate. clash of culture. ;)

savante said...

True enuf, certainly need my share of luck now, mark.

Well, they certainly do mix if you know to blend it correctly, vas.

Which is why I don't have to break down the wall, pete.

ceusm, it does help.

patrick, Hutan Khatulistiwa?!

Shakespeare would be right, ed!

When you do that, I wanna invest, alex!

Bet you have your own funny quirks too, pakcik :)

Paul

Xavier said...

he still cares.... aint that nice... :)

Squido said...

I believe that it's all in the mind. The whole feng shui thing is just something for you to hold on to, to believe that something else above the mortal realm is looking after you.

In doing so, you believe that they are taking care of you and you start to be more garang and try things you never have or got the guts to try before.

Perhaps you ought to ask BBB out for a date. Who knows it could very well end at your place ;)

Prince of Darkness said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hmm I would say that feng shui is something that is disturbing yet sometimes when U tried to ignore it, it come true. I get myself into deep shit last year after changing the position of my room, I used not to believe in the feng shui shit, but then, seems like I am forced to. So after rearrange my room and everything goes well, I dare not move e position of my room no more. Sigh, sometimes we don't get to choose do we?

Sue said...

Hedging one's bets is always okay. Feng Shui away!

I saw one Dr. once who's patient's chair was right under the air conditioner duct, so that cold air blew right onto the patient. I complained, and she told me that the last patient had sat on the floor. I asked if we could just move the furniture and she replied that it had been placed by a feng shui master and she would not move it. For that and other reasons, I eventually had to change Drs.

Annie said...

I say Paul should exchange his phone number for a new one that Barry does not know. That's very feng shui, no?

or I know, move the telephone into the closet.

savante said...

Friends do care, xavier :)

So I really should be more garang... squido, you might be right.

Why disturbing? Surely nothing's scary for a prince of darkness :)

What an unusual doctor, sue :)

There's nothing there but fraternal feelings, chas!

Sure I should do that, Annieeee?

Paul

Rick Bettencourt said...

Adding Brad Pitt to any house will correctly align things for a perfect home.