Monday, June 19, 2006

Put Your Record On

Believe it or not, I believe that our tastes in music actually reflect part of our personality. Sometimes inadvertently we let slip parts that we aren't that willing to reveal yet - and it's always surprising when it happens in the relative safety of a CD store.

Paul : Picked the CDs!
Barry : Seriously you gotta be kidding. Pussycat Dolls the other day, and now Sugababes?
Paul : What can I say? My gay diva is showing.
Barry : Sigh.
Paul : Sigh all you want, Mariah lover.
Barry : Hey!

Well, Big Bicep Barry was stunned but at least he wouldn't sneer at it as my ISO probably would. :)

If you don't believe it, just take a look at what's getting frequent airplay in my friend's collections. Exploring his inner pop diva, sweet Charming Calvin finds his bursting MP3 player chockful of teenage boy bands and aspiring teen queens. Get into my ISO's car and you'll be plugged into heavy rock with the occasional segue into dance club music which honestly mystifies me with the oft-repeated choruses and meaningless verses. True to type, Big Bicep Barry's monster truck hums along to the soothing island strains of Jack Johnson, the meaningful lyrics of the Geeks in the Pink and as I've mentioned, the occasional disturbing foray into Mariah's Butterfly world.

Not sure what it means though when a recent discussion in a blogger's chatbox - and even during Lanky Lex's gay gala - revealed the shocking fact that most of the gay bloggers around these parts listen to classical music. Surely an astonishing revelation to me since I've always assumed that gay boiz lean towards the dazzling disco divas with their skimpy sequinned dresses, their booty-shaking thumpa-thumpa music and their unforgiving attitudes to apologies.

Classical music? I'm sure some of the dangerously temperamental divas are tearing out their fake blonde tipped hairs at the blasphemous thought. Seriously, even I find it hard to imagine half-naked gay men clad in low-waist jeans bumping groins and waving their arms along to the sedate concertos of Mozart and Schubert while the musicians strum their violins beneath the flashing strobe lights and the prerequisite swivelling disco ball.

Shaking that booty
Mozart simply doesn't fit!

Not that I'm a crazed fan of disco divas myself course although I'll admit to the occasional dip into Kylie and Madonna. Hell, I am gay after all :) Take a look at my record collection and you'll see a far more eclectic mix. On the late evenings when I get to relax with my favourite novel, I'm more a fan of classic jazz like evergreen crooners, Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald... and of course not forgetting some of the more contemporary artists like Jamie Cullum and Jane Monheit.

That's as slow as it goes for me though since classical music, dull instrumentals and Enya literally lull me into a mindless coma - certainly not conducive when I'm hitting the bloody dull textbooks. Believe me, the potent combination of baroque music and mind-numbing blather about cerebral blood flow is sure to sedate even the most recalcitrant personality. Learnt that the hard way when during my freshmen year, my roommate used to torture me with Muzak on a daily basis before I threatened him with bodily injury. So when I'm busy cramming with the midnight oil burning, I desperately need Sean Paul mumbling Latino unintelligibles about soaring temperatures and three Brit Sugababes talking about pushing their buttons in red dresses.

Sometimes Vivaldi simply won't do.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

BBB and I have the same taste in music :D (altho mariah is not a major part of my playlist these days)

I also listen to diana krall and billie holiday, with the occasional foray into kylie's and madonna's music (occasional? more like often. vogue is my anthem after all :D)

classical? dance? nah, not really. classical puts me to sleep, dance gives me headache.

famezgay said...

huh I listen all kind of music depends on mood lar.. But hardly classical except when I'm in mindless frustrated mood.. uhmnn.. Well MOST GAYS DO LIKE MADONNA ! ekeke

Anonymous said...

I can totally understand about the taste of music. I always get worried if my music selection is alright when I have to play at my place or in my car. :-(

Thumpa Thumpa was so happening in my 20s but it will fade out eventually as you become older... ugh, scary. til then, enjoy what you like!

ça va pas la tête said...

paul, you always makes me laugh with your entries. ;)

akihisa said...

Me? I listen to everything. I'd like to think I have a rather eclectic taste in music. I try NOT to listen too much to what you'd call commercial music like those in the Billboard charts. But, some of 'em do have a habit of making me shake my bootay, when I'm all alone, of course!! ;p

I like all the music you've mentioned in the entry, except boybands. They make me cringe!! At the moment, I'm in the mood for soulful R&B. Groovy, baby!!!!!!!!!

Alex said...

Hey, I listen to BaRock you know.... and I jam Bach on my violin!!! Classical is way cool, dude....
Of course, Chopin is not for disco dancing, but it's great for making love. We listen to different types of music for different purposes :P

But then again, there's something called 'crossovers'.... like technoclassical...

Zemien said...

I can't believe that! Gays? Like classical? That's preposterous! And the comments so far prove it.

The only remotely classical thing I listen to are crossover artistes such as Bond and Maksim. And even then I don't listen that often.

My tastes vary wildly, from Katie Melua to Pink and Frank Sinatra to Keane. Meaningful lyrics and catchy riffs mean more to me than what's hot.

But the requisite dose of Madonna and Kylie is a MUST. Darn, are we all that stereotypical?

Ganymede said...

Just because that day I only had classicals in my Palm doesn't mean I don't listen to other music too Dr Paul. :P

I love Mariah, Madonna, Kylie, Pussycat Dolls, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, Kelly and lots of other stuff. See see...

Stinging Rabbit said...

Classical is good for when you are reading a book or just chilling but I love music you can dance and sway my hips to. Who doesn't like swaying hips. :P

Matt. K. said...

Yeah, I agree that music tells alot about your personality! It's as shocking to me as it was to you when I read that "shocking fact that most of the gay bloggers around these parts listen to classical music"! I mean, I listen to classical all the time! My Astro's switche don to Opus in the night and other classical channels when I'm alone. Guess that makes me gay, huh?

Still, a teenager I am, I don't miss out on the chart-topping songs and artist! Mariah Carey is just one of them. I'm currently listening to Teddy Geiger, if you know who he is. =)

Bryan said...

I am being educated in a Malay medium school.. Don't know why I love Canto-pop so much. Have to learn by hard the Chinese characters in order for me to sing Chinese songs in karaoke. Ha ha. Recently I love remix music and also some meditation music.

MrBunnyBan said...

Hee. Everybody's declaring what music they like. Since I've already done so, there's no need to again...

But Kylie? Madonna? Ugh. That accursed "Na na na" song used to dominate the gay clubs. The thought of her swaying around in that damn bathrobe makes me wanna puke.

Anonymous said...

The only classical music I dig would be the opening violin rift of Verve's Bittersweet Symphony. And hey, I love Sugababes, too! One of them has Filipino blood, although she took off now.

Anonymous said...

The only classical music I dig would be the opening violin rift of Verve's Bittersweet Symphony. And hey, I love Sugababes, too! One of them has Filipino blood, although she took off now.

Anonymous said...

The only classical music I dig would be the opening violin rift of Verve's Bittersweet Symphony. And hey, I love Sugababes, too! One of them has Filipino blood, although she took off now.

Anonymous said...

oh shoot, sorry for the triple post. bad bad connection, i had to post my comment after three times of receiving "lost connection." peace!

joshua said...

Try "Conjure One" for a change. Pretty sweet relaxing songs from them.

And hey, I dig classical music too. A variety actually.

Sugababes have an eclectic mixture of songs these days. They are GOOD!

Francis Ford Faggola said...

I dun listen to classical much but I do listen to the divas as listed by the others... :)

Though maybe I need to add some men in my playlist as well...

Just Me said...

I like all kinds of music depending on my mood.

I am sure the muscle bunnies you see out at the clubs dancing to the pop-princes' of the world are not the same guys listening to classical music.

Jay said...

I always think that one of the best ways to suss out someone's sexuality is to sneak a peek at their iPod's playlist. Showtunes? Shakira? Kylie? Check check check.

Of course, if they have an iPod video and you see 'Dawson's 20 Load Weekend' on it that makes the detective work a lot easier.

Annie said...

I’m don’t get overly excited on classical music. Beethoven’s 'Ode to Joy' and 'Moonlight Sonata' are the only ones I truly enjoy listening to. I can tell the difference between Bach, Beethoven and Mozart if forced to name that tune. As I’m getting older, I’ve graduated from Madonna, Electronic, OMD to something more soothing to the soul. I’ve always been a fan of Cirque du Soleil’s music. Don’t ask me to interpret the Italian lyrics, but I happened to think it’s quite cool to listen to “Alegria” or “Querer”. Of course, maybe it’s because the music reminds me of those damn hunky guys twisting and bending all over the trapeze.

Of course play this music while I’m cooking in the kitchen, the husband will start looking for divorce papers. Talk about music and personalities. He’s into AC/DC, Queensryche, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. I enjoy the occasional Bob Marley, Queen and Peter Gabriel. We’ve come to compromise on The Beatles and U2. Don’t know what that says – Opposites attract?

savante said...

Not amazed that you like BBB's tastes in music. I like Jack Johnson too, asmadi :)

Gays and Madonna are near inseparable - and I think she knows it too, ceusm.

Never liked thumpa thumpa, even when I was in my 20s, shigeki. Guess i was old before my time.

Glad to provide, ca va :)

I'm always in the mood for soulful R&B, ahmad :)

Alex... BaRock?

Believe it, zemien. I was shocked myself.

You looked so much like a circuit twink that I was amazed, defiant :P

No worries, Kyle. Enya makes me sleepy too.

Nothing lke some hips that don't lie, silentside.

Matt, of course I know Teddy Geiger. I'm not that old :)

And I do listen to Chinee songs but mostly Mandarin songs. My cantonese sucks, bryan.

Nananananan song in a bathrobe, daniel? What's that?

Mark, I love that opening riff too. One of my favourites. Always recall Sarah Michelle Gellar coming out with that song playing in the background as Reese watches on with glee. And hey, the Sugababe was Mutya I think.

Conjure One? Must look out for it, Joshua.

No men in your playlist, holden? I find that hard to believe :P

I think you're right, cr.

Really must watch this Dawson's 20 Load thing, Jay.

Whoa, Anniieee.. Music from Cirque du Soleil? Gotta go look for that!

paul

RRP said...

i agree, paul. i believe that one's taste in music really does reflect one's personality, as well as their state of mind.

i'm fairly laid-back so you'll find some gavin degraw, coldplay, teddy geiger, damien rice, john legend, jack johnson and even a sprinkle of missy higgins in my ipod playlists.

but when bouncing-off-the-wall from a surge of adrenaline, you'll catch me with jamiroquai, sean paul, robbie, daddy yankee (gasolina) and yes, madonna.

and then sometimes, i like to play some marvin gaye. "it's something good for me" ;)

Anonymous said...

Well I listen to classical music too and I always thought I was the odd one out.

Ian

Anonymous said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my classic country music lyrics site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

A world that i've seen said...

i like r&b , pop & hip hop..
shakira, pussycat, madonna, black eye peas r good..:P

Colin said...

Its called mood music.. there's a specific style of music for specific occasions.

I'm a big classical fan. I even go up to KL just to hear concerts at KLCC. (next date in Nov!!) But I'm not about to put on Shostakovich when I'm on the treadmill (Kylie is soo much better to get you into action)

Ella was my seduction goddess until my ex ruined it by playing her songbooks during our breakup.. grrr..