Wednesday, June 07, 2006

That Slow Evening Drive

Certainly never been a wild child but I've always been one with restless feet that needs to move, hence my relentless speedwalking that leaves everyone else choking in the dust. When I was a kid, I remember one of the things my dad used to do to calm me down was to take me for a quick drive around town. One of my fondest memories actually, of my dad drumming his fingers at the wheel to a crooning Elvis and me cheerfully riding at the back with my nose eagerly pressed to the windows watching the world go by in lazy evenings.

Nowadays of course, it's usually me at the wheel with Buble wailing away about kissing fools and occasionally my dad at the side peppering me with well-meaning but unsolicited advice on life, love and my lousy driving. Of course since I'm usually recklessly flying at warp speed while zig-zagging dangerously along the five-lane highway, I figure the driving advice is certainly warranted - as is his yelling away desperately while clinging helplessly to the buckle as I attempt miraculous Fast N Furious 90 degree turns at top speed.

What can I say? I cut my eyeteeth driving with the need for speed on the rough, reckless city streets - although I've got to say that my sad parking skills and my lack of knowledge about the inner workings of an automobile ( hell, I'll marry a sexy mechanic dammit! ) still has sufficient room for improvement. Don't even get me started on my dad's neverending complaints when I try my poor best at parallel parking. Seems like he isn't the only one to doubt my sanity when I'm driving though since an ashen-faced Big Bicep Barry has questioned it himself.

Take a ride
Wanna ride with me?

Driving can be a chore to some but it has never been a problem for me ( reckless driving aside ). Oddly enough, it's about the only time that I have solely to myself during the day - totally alone with my random thoughts - and I'm actually concentrating on one thing without desperately multitasking a thousand other activities. At work, I have a number of patients to see to at the same time while juggling various requests from colleagues and nurses on the other. And usually by the time I get home in the evening, I have a dozen mundane chores to attend to with another handy dozen left waiting on my plate which leaves me doing the multitasking like a thousand-armed demigod.

But all that gets shoved onto the backburner while I'm driving. During that hour when I'm driving alone on the highway with jazz and Jack Johnson playing in the background, I resolve interpersonal issues, work gripes and various financial woes. Those quiet solitary moments also lend me the time and space for my creative juices to flow and my imagination starts to soar, painting various images and montages for the bedtime stories that I write.

Of course then a killer maniac in a sports car zips to the front of me, barely missing my fender and all that zen creativity flies out the window as I let loose with a plethora of nasty curses. :)

24 comments:

famezgay said...

i hate to drive actually.. But at the same time I can't live without my car. Huh it could take me to anywhere without troubling anyone.. n uhmnn speeding is nice during my PMS time ekekek...

Alex said...

Hahaha.... It can be therapeutic eh?
But it seems like you're multitasking while driving too....

Legolas said...

I like driving, but not on KL roads.

CTG said...

I love to drive, but I must admit that I have a bit of a heavy foot with the gas (or as we call it it - petrol). Driving my my boyfriend is the best, cos he drives, LOL. I get to relax, but on occasion, he hands me the keys and off we go. Hope you are well, Paul. Have a great day. CTG

Patrick said...

Yeah..I like to drive too and wish to involve in off road driving one day..KL to Cambodia..pick up a native guy and ahem ahem :)

Anonymous said...

Just don't space out too often, Paul! I've been in cars with spaced-out drivers and it's not funny. :-)

savante said...

Even vetter drive with a good car, ceusm :)

Sorta therapeutic ... and Id on't multitask! I just think, alex. Not like I juggle, eat and read books in the car.

True enough leggy. Meant the highways.

Wish I had a boyfriend to drive me around, ctg :)

Pick up a Cambodian, patrick? Bring one home for me too.

Nah, don't space out. MY concentration is on the road, mark.

Paul

Sue said...

That was me in that sports car that cut you off. I used to drive like a maniac in my younger years. I thought I would live forever. I am sure you are familiar with the disease of the young. Luckily, I got older. Cured now.

Maximus Leo said...

Fortunately for me... I don't have a car and not bothered with the hike in fuel prices! :-) But I do clear my thoughts, resolve work issues and destress while running with iPod. And at the same time I get a good work out! Killing a couple of birds with one stone...so as the saying goes!

pink dolphin said...

I used to think that i was the only one who uses driving to recollect my thoughts, plan for the day, day dream( of potential guys), etc etc. Guess we all do it huh? And yeah, jazz or anything on Light n Easy goes well during this entourage

Jason said...

parallel parking? Hate that! Almost everyone I know can't do it. Except my brother though...

And your dad telling you about the mysteries about life.. haha.. won't all fathers do that in some point in their life? I'm only 21 and my father already tried to give me the pep talk twice!

ça va pas la tête said...

Malaysian drivers are hopeless.... always so kiasu, never kiasi.... *shake head*

Anonymous said...

I immediately fall in love with a driver who can parallel park damn nice. Practice, baby. Practice. Since you are a doctor, you are good at physics, no? Parallel parking is calculation, dude. you have a potential for sure.

Driving is when I sing out loud without getting boo-ed. :-)

That Girl said...

i um.. err.. cant drive * cough*...my husband is going to try to teach me when i go to nashville....lol hehehe THATS going to be a heack of a ride!!

Jay said...

I drive once a year, when I go back to Malaysia. Over here you don't really need it lah. Besides, the moment I get my UK license I'll end up being designated driver for ALL my friends.

Dave said...

creative juice flows out from Paul's brain when driving. Wow, bedside stories created on the highway.

Mabey he can give us a better story when he saw highway hookers providing service for the lonely truck drivers.

cliffdweller said...

maybe that's how you keep sane...by driving for that one hour to help calm down all those thoughts

hmm...i'm sorta scared of driving still...not a huge fan of it

Michael said...

I'm torn. I LOVE my car (think late model Japanese luxury nameplate) but lately I hate driving. I don't like what it does to me. Specifically, the angina and the words that come out of me that must have my years-dead grandmother spinning in her grave. I now find myself fantasizing about living in a city center somewhere so that I can sell my car and walk/cab everywhere. Oh, and use the leftover 25,000 USD on clothes!

Xavier said...

i love to drive.... remember i have had several experience driving over 10 hours on the road..

and like u mentioned, when i was not in kl yet, i used to just come out of the house and drive around, it really help to take my minds of chores and jsut relax and sing along...

often decisions are made while driving too... though it sounds funny, the decisions made while driving sometimes are the best ones... :)

Wild Reeds said...

Driving is a pleasure if the roads are good and you're at peace. If not, and cars zip in front of you like crazy, it can be hell.

Anonymous said...

hehehe... and wat happens when u get a bj while driving? isnt dat multitasking?
*grin*

PsYcHo suPerGoDdeSs said...

I love driving at night, without the hot glaring sun, hurts my eyes... Whenever i feel frustrated I just drive around at night, gives me a sense of peace and a feeling of control.

savante said...

I knew it was a woman in that damned sportscar, sue! :)

Certainly wouldn't drive in japan, either ian!

You're not the only one, vas. No Light n EAsy tho, it would make me sleep :)

You'll have many hours of that particular lecture, Jase!

Totally agree, cava!

Sorry to say, shigeki, but my physics sucks! :P

Driving in nashville! That would be the name of a song, grafxgurl!

Lucky you, jay!

Haven't seen any hookers about, dave. Any cute ones?

Yeah, clive without that hour of contemplation, I might be foaming at the mouth insane.

Michael, what luxury car!

Isn't it fun driving around, xavier?

Yeah, wildreeds. That's when my zen experience stops :)

Oh, I wish I got that in the car, closetalk. Would make the experience so much better.

Same here, psychogoddess!

Paul

Life Cafez said...

I agree with leggie, roads is KL esp highway, once choose wrong exit, have to turn and twist and spin to find another right way...so troublesome (because the road sign sometimes unclear),many time I lost my way,haha..

I am not local as well and my experience once is when I am driving my friend (which is local but his recognition of road even worst,ha!). One night, we had our supper nearby the Old Klang Road and we wanna back cheras, suppose it takes about 10min using highway back but....we used 1 hour and 45 minutes to reach cheras!! We had drive passby Gao Wong Ye at Ampang, then drive to dunno where, then I suddenly saw the sg. besi Police Station, then suddenly I saw bukit jalil again, then drive and drive, then saw a complex and saw a road sign to Kajang,god!Sumore no plan inside my friend's car and late in the midnight, dunno which friends can called to ask for direction, haha...finally, we decide to follow the KUALA LUMPUR sign, then we reach to KLCC then we start back to cheras again, HA!! I think we have past half of the KL and this is the worst experience I have so far,haha...