Saturday, July 29, 2006

Dead Man's Chest

Certainly been a while since I've been to the movies. What with my recent indisposition - and with Charming Calvin falling soon after with his own bug, it has been a week since either of us has hit the cinemas. And for me - a guy who's been a overzealous regular at the movies since getting his first allowance in primary, that's pretty much a Guinness record :)

No worries though. Won't be asking Jewel Jane or Banker Brenda out yet. Although I have the numbers for two enterprising ladies in my drawer, I haven't suddenly decided to bat for the other team yet.

Made plans to watch just yesterday but poor Calvin had to ask for a raincheck since he'd been held up at work - and there's no one else quite as understanding about the inescapable shackles of the job as me. Since I already had tickets in hand and found myself with hours to spare, I called up the only guy I knew who could be counted on to be practically jobless during lunch. Just as I'd predicted, the man was lazing around in his office, flipping through loads of e-mails and worthless spam. Don't even ask me what my ISO does for a living since most times, I don't actually know myself. Something about graphic design? Accounting? Drawing up accounts?

Gotta say something though, expensive Middle Eastern restaurants taste so much better when I'm not the one paying :)

Blooming PirateSwashbuckling pirate movies are always fun for me. Handsome pirates, nefarious villains and hidden treasures... so what's there not to like? Unfortunately in a bid to rival the indisputably successful Star Wars franchise, the Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest has been left to totter helplessly at the end of the gangplank as the protagonists are left in a literal cliffhanger. Just a shockingly sudden fade to black at the end that left us both utterly flabbergasted.

My ISO : Fuck. What kinda ending is this? I want my bloody doubloons back!
Paul : You can say that again! And how could they turn my hero Commodore Norrington into some drunken, washed-up pirate wallowing in pigshit?!
My ISO : Why do you always go for the starched-up supercilious bastards?
Paul : Look who's talking.

He didn't share the popcorn after that :P

Still the action sequences were cool, the villains were appropriately slimy and disgusting ( always excellent for the squeamish kids ), Orlando Bloom looked wonderfully brawny ( especially stripped to the waist for a delicious S&M scene ) and unsurprisingly, it turned out that my favourite character had blackened teeth and pseudo-dreadlocks, spoke in nigh unintelligible Jamaican patois and divined the future with crab claws.

Oddly enough, the fans have been clamouring for the pirates to go gay - which is surprising since I never saw Captain Jack Sparrow exchanging bodily fluids with the upright Will Turner.

13 comments:

M said...

Overall I liked it - turned out differently than I expected - now i have to see the next one....arggghhh!!

Just Me said...

I still haven't seen either of the pirate movies. As much as I like Orlando Bloom I have skipped them both because they just didn't looked that good. Maybe I will catch it when it comes out on video.

Ganymede said...

Love the movie but the ending could have been better. Oh well. Lets see how the third one turn out to be.

Bom liki liki. :P

Sue said...

Wasn't it just delicious and delightful? Great thing to do on a steamy afternoon.

AJ said...

was that squid biting witch samantha mumba? i have to agree about the ending tho.. hollywood b'stards!

Musang said...

haven't watch it yet. with classes and assignments and weekly tests.

*sigh*

but will do my best to watch the prestige. jackman is in it. :)

Kihu said...

Orlando bloom! Bloom my ass ! ooops

Xavier said...

hey... but the cliff hanger ending is ok isnt?!?!??! i mean i enjoyed the whole movie ler, gonna watch again!

MrBunnyBan said...

Hmm, movie. I could see bloom and what's his name together though, heeeee... :D

Anonymous said...

Could anyone be so kind to watch that movie with me? Please?

Patrick said...

Worth to invest in DVD! Johnny Depp was funny in that movie. I think he is truly talented actor with the ability to fit into various roles.

hrugaar said...

I haven't seen the movie yet either, though I've heard much the same reaction from people over here (i.e. some good laughs, irritating ending as set-up for movie #3).

I'll go watch it with you, charming calvin ... if you can wait another ten weeks or so till I'm back in KL. ;oP

savante said...

I know! I hate gimmicks like that, Matthew! Why didn't they just finish it!

cr, I'm stunned that you haven't seen it!

What was that bom liki liki bit, defiant?

You're right. It was fun on a steamy afternoon tho, sue.

AJ! Wasn't Samantha Mumba.. it was some lovely new actress whose name I forgot suddely.

GO watch it now then, musang. Prestige? What is it about?

GASP, Famezgay.. you don't like poor Orlando?

Xavier, did enjoy the movie but I prefer endings that.. well, end!

Knew you had a kinky side to ya, Daniel.

Get the DVD, calvin :P See what patrick said. Unless you're gonna wait for ru to return to these shores again!

Will take a look, mack!

paul