Monday, July 03, 2006

The More Things Change

Never actually got into drinking alcohol for some reason. Although I do go out for the occasional drink when I'm out with my friends ( the occasional wimpy cocktail in moderation! ), I've never been one to stock beer bottles in my fridge for easy access. Somehow getting high on a drink never struck me as an ambition in life - and I've certainly seen the disastrous effects of one too many impulsive tipples. The fact that I'm usually the designated driver amongst my tipsier pals usually guarantees that alcohol never actually reaches my lips.

Anyway according to the rest of them, I'm already wacky enough without adding spirits to the heady mix. The civilized world as we know it might not be ready for a boozed-up alcoholic Paul.

Dripping water
Getting thirsty?

I've somehow developed an obsession with Heineken lately. It has nothing to do with the infamous Brad Pitt outrunning the paparazzi commercial - and everything to do with a spicy Tom Yum dinner I had with Big Bicep Barry last week. Trying to canvas a wider area for more clients, he called me up for a quick bite and a movie before leaving. Well all I gotta say is the dinner was excellent, the company was entertaining, the movie dreadfully dull but I had to admit that it all left me wanting just a bit more.

Something cool, refreshing and utterly thirst-quenching.

Paul : I just had a Heineken.
Barry : Seriously? You don't drink.
Paul : That was before the epiphany I had with you last week.
Barry : Are you blaming me for turning alcoholic?
Paul : Yeah. That was before I realized that Heineken tastes just as good in the 1800s.
Barry : You're still thinking of that commercial?!
Paul : That guy was hot! I want to marry him.
Barry : Sigh.

Still. I've got another five cans left. Barry wasn't amused when I told him I'd wrap the rest for his impromptu gift.

Aren't advertising commercials insidious?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My God, you must be a very damn good friend for those alcoholics. I mean I don't have any designated driver when I go out. You should be my designated driver. :-)

I always wonder why Heineken tastes better when a hot Dutch bartender pours one. :-)

Just Me said...

You are such a good friend! I sometimes get stuck driving my friends around too. I wouldn't say I am the designated driver because I normally have a beer or two but I definetly drink a lot less than they do.

Ganymede said...

Nothing like a cold bottle of beer in this tropical weather. Kampai~~~ :P

Anonymous said...

beer?!...bleargh~...cocktails?!...hooray!!!...

btw...will prolly drop by malaysia sometime in sept...around early to mid sept?

confusticated said...

beer me no likey. i prefer vodka mixes.

Legolas said...

The more I grow up, the more alcohol intolerant I've become.

I want my alcohol senses back!...

mikey said...

Ugh, those evil marketing corporations...they can turn anyone into anything!

Alex said...

Love that ad!!!! Cool effects.
You must try wine also, dude....

ça va pas la tête said...

Nothing beats a good beer after a tiring day.

Paul, can I drop by to finish the remaining 5 cans?

Annie said...

What a bunch of lushes! Alcoholics all of ya! Why be a designated driver Dr.Paul when they've invented trains, taxi cabs, police cruisers, gutters you can pass out in and alley ways you can sleep in. Your world is full of options! So be free, be happy and have a Heineken! I won't be there when you fall down, but I'll be the one laughing.

famezgay said...

keke among all the beers, i prefer heineken the most lar.. Its sweeter compared to others!

But still i love liquor more generally.. But anyway alcohol makes us fat.. remember that ekek!

Jay said...

What a waste of production budget. The ad would've been equally effective if the hottie had just been stood there naked, drinking a Heineken.

Sue said...

I love those ads. Thank goodness there is some imagination in beer ads. Finally! Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah!

savante said...

Not that big a fan of alcohol, shigeki, so it's no big deal. What hot Dutch!

cr, yeah, I am a good friend :)

Defiant, you're underaged!

No problem, k, gimme a ring.

Whoa idiot, you are wild. Vodka!

Maybe you should drink more, leggy.

Insidious as I said, mikey!

Do actually take wine, alex, every once in a while.

You can take the rest, cava.

Lushes, I know, anniee! I'm amazed!

Yeah, it is slightly sweeter which is why I don't mind it, ceusm.

With that ad, jay, i would have bought a carton.

And a sense of humour too, sue :)

Paul