Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Green Thumb

Never actually been all that interested in gardening. Unlike a certain Englishman's knack / fetish for growing things, my experience with shovels and shears are limited to ogling hot half-naked teenage gardeners desperately sowing their oats in Wisteria Lane. Hard to keep my eyes off such fine hoes after all.

Can't even recall the last time I had my hands wrist-deep in dirt and soil, all new-age Mother Earth style. Possibly my last fateful encounter with a green leafy object was back in medical school when I cultivated a plant on my window sill to remind me that there was certainly life away from screamingly dull medical textbooks and desperately kiasu med students. On th days when I felt the stress getting to me - and had the crazy urge to dash my head on the wall, oddly enough the monotonous routine of watering the plans managed to help me get through the day.

Adam in the garden
My Eden!

Since I have a small new room of my own, I have decided to make an effort in transforming my small attached bathroom into sheer Nature's Delight. Only fair since the bathroom has windows with amazing sunlight filtering through that are practically crying out for some green plants to start photosynthesizing. Surely even the nitpicky Poison Ivy would commend my budding efforts in helping the buggers bloom.

Surprisingly without much tending, the plant I nurtured in medical school ( and summarily abandoned in my brother's place ) has turned into a veritable jungle of leaves - and I've placed it in a place of pride by the window. Not only did frickin IKEA manage to supply me with more leafy plants - whose boring scientific names simply escape me, I've also shanghaied Big Bicep Barry's flowering new year plant into my new conservatory-cum-bathroom.

I'll have my own garden of Eden!

13 comments:

Las montaƱas said...

Growing green things is therapeutic. They don't talk back to you, they don't quarrel. They just need a moment of your attention (and freeing your mind from the stress) and they would be happily growing there.

hrugaar said...

Never have much like with houseplants, except cyclamen. Not sure why. Soft toys are better conversation partners though - easier to read the expressions in their faces, heh.

nyonyapenang said...

houseplants give me problems with mosquitoes

Ganymede said...

Me like cactus. There's just something about the prickly cactus that appeals to me. :P

Anonymous said...

I need green leafy things in my house too.

NeiLDC said...

Plants makes refreshing the area of work or home. it makes is more lively.. since they had the oxygen that carries on... I have the chinese swirling and rounding bamboo within the water vase on my desk. that would be nice..

So you have the garden of eden with you.. with ADAM & STEVE?

MrBunnyBan said...

Hmmm, green leafy things. Maybe in the future...

Sue said...

I am so surprized! You live in a tropical place and it would be so easy to grow plants that we here in the north would just drool over. You know that stuff that grows as weeds there is sold in greenhouses here as tropical flowers?

David & Tom said...

beautiful colors

Anonymous said...

So you've finally channeled Bree, too, eh? Good luck with your plants! The flowers I have planted have died! And summer's not even over yet!

Just Me said...

I am a plant killer! I have killed more plants than I care to recall but I keep trying. I haven't gotten the whole watering part down yet.

Anonymous said...

My house is a veritable Flower Nursery!!! There's several types of orchids in pots and stilts, cacti's all around, pitcher plants abundance and its a hassle to water them when no one is at home and the weather is as dry as it is now......but I guess I love plants and flowers around me....so dnt really mind having to take care of them

savante said...

Agreed. It is therapeutic, lasmontanas. It won't scream, shout and whine :) Great dates actually.

Ru, darlin... soft toys!!?

Mosquitoes?! Nyonya, you should plant certain plants that would get rid of the mosquitoes then. Can't recall the name at the moment. Was it lemongrass?

Cactus?! Defiant, why!

You need more than that, calvin :)

IT does refresh the area, and make it certainly more green, neil. No Adam and Steve though.

Daniel, you're in OZ. The only things you should have around are the hot, naked, hunky variety.

True enough, sue/ But the weeds grow quite as fast here too!

Thanks, david.

Always channeled Bree, mark. Not the first time! You should have seen me trying to change my chairs.

Yikes, cr! Why!

Whoa, a flower nursery. Guess we do know who's the Ivy here, qua vadis :)

Paul