Sunday, August 12, 2007

Lessons When You're Drunk

Fathers always see their children as six year olds. They can't help it, wouldn't be surprised if it's encoded in their genes to do so :)

Of course these days, telling a child ( well dictating would be more like ) what they can and can't do would be tantamount to a declaration of nuclear war for some. Yeah, I might be already past the big 3-0 but believe me, that doesn't stop my father from occasionally dropping advice in my ear - though dropping would be a major understatement. Life critic, backseat driver, domestic backbencher, he covers all these awfully irritating roles with aplomb. Certainly would have driven me up the wall when I was a semi-rebellious teen - but these days I think I've grown up into quite a stick-in-the-mud fuddy-duddy as well.

Doesn't mean I don't feel like knocking my head on the wall sometimes as well :) Just means I've gotten to understand how parents think.

These days when I listen to my friends' rants, hear them complain about their controlling parents - and sometimes I actually do see the view point of their parents. Old age is certainly creeping up on me. But I understand why we get curfew, why we parental controls, why get certain privileges removed. After all I'm gonna turn into a monstrous dad when I get older, I'm sure.

But seriously if the parents didn't care, if they didn't give a damn, just imagine this. We'd be able to run out late at night, get pissed drunk, get high and stoned - and possibly even land up in prison for the night. And no one would come save us.

And no one waiting for us tapping their slippers impatiently ( if not the blistering cane ) while staring at the clock - with the faithful porch light on.

Now wouldn't that be sad?

Take a drink
Maybe one more for the road...

Still that didn't stop me from bursting out in laughter when my father caught me last night nursing a glass of Bailey's. It really astonished my father leaving him slack-jawed possibly imagining me still in my primary blues dashing around the school yard.

Dad : You shouldn't drink so much. You might get sick tomorrow.
Paul : Get sick? Last time I got sick was more than ten years back.
Dad : Oh. Yeah ... but still, you shouldn't drink so much.
Paul : It's a glass. I'm not downing the bottle in sorrow.

God, did he actually think that i was a teetotaller? I mean I try not to drink excessively in his presence but still... Come on, I was at home. I wasn't going driving. I wasn't working the next day. And hell, it was only one sissy glass with a froufrou umbrella! I can hold my liquor dammit :)

It was nice to know that he cared though.

10 comments:

poof said...

Because nothing beats family love

Janvier said...

Ah well. Parents know we drink but not how well. They do let go bit by bit but still show tough love at times, though.

jay said...

Kind of like how whenever I slip and tell my mom I'm going out so gets all weary.

I kind of like knowing that even though I'm hundreds of miles away that they freak out about stuff.

A Lewis said...

I was such a goody-two-shoes (?) that my parents never did have to worry. It's NOW that they should worry! And, damn him, my dad is gone now.....
I'll clink a glass of Baileys to him tonight.

Jonzz said...

LOL, I think one remark isn't much. At least he didn't give u a lecture, or did he?

What is a froufrou umbrella? Is that what you call those umbrellas you put into drinks? Tried googling but couldn't find it. ROFL!

adrien said...

papa jahat!

ah i miss him now. lol

nyonyapenang said...

even when your poppa is 90 and you are 60, you will still be his little boy-boy. :)

robin said...

u shld have offered ur dad a drink (minus the umbrella-ella-ella). he was probably more upset u didn't offer him one rather than the fact that you drink

From the freedictionary.com:
frou·frou n.
1. Fussy or showy dress or ornamentation.
2. A rustling sound, as of silk.

Anonymous said...

Question: Are you trying to say that if parents don't take away their child's freedom and give him curfew time, etc etc etc, it means the parents don't care?

Well, just for the record, i never had curfew. It was as long as i informed them where and who i was going out with. I never got myself drunkenly pissed and mix with the crowd from the bad side. I knew what independence was at a very young age and i think my parents trusted me to give me that. Truth is, I don't know what it feels like to be controlled...but i know my parents do care about me.

All i'm trying to say is, that generalization you made is not 100% true.

savante said...

True enough, gauzzel.

Don't mind some tough love myself, janvier.

Muahaha. Bet they still freak out every now and then, jay.

I was kinda a goody-two-shoes myself. Never gave them a restless night, I'ms ure, lewis.

Ah, someone checked the frou frou word already, jonzz.

Glad you do, adrien.

Already guessed that and it's nice, nyonya.

My dad and a drink? Haven't seen him drink before, ry.

Well not a generalization. I don't think I had curfew as well since I'm a pretty good kid. Sounds like you walked the straight narrow path as well so obviously your parents respected your decisions.

Paul