Sunday, August 19, 2007

Magic of Mao

What did I do this weekend? Since I've gone back to pack up some things, I said no to my friends' cordial invitation to participate in a sinful chocz saturday! Apart from babysitting my lil nephew Rambling Raoul ( more on that tomorrow ), I spent the time researching my upcoming Beijing Break.

Since Charming Calvin will probably be slaving away at his Beijing office during the day ( well that's what I assume he does unless he's actually busy counting zzzs at his desk ), that leaves me on my lonesome till around 5 when he clocks out. But that's alright, I won't pine away since there are sights to see, people to meet, dishes to sample - though I seriously don't now how I'm ever going to take the required pictures all by myself.

Still it's supposed to be tiangao qishuang so I shall go a-rambling.

Blood Brothers
Ooh Beijing!

Never been all that hyper-religious, probably allergic to a surplus of incense and my mantra has always been one temple is one too many so I'll probably stick to only the Temple of Heaven for the entire visit. The other usual suspects such as the Forbidden Palace, Tiananmen Square and the Summer Palace are obviously on my list. Even thought of donning one of those expensive rented pseudo-imperial costumes to pose for a shot!

Even the late Chairman Mao has insisted that he who has not climbed the Great Wall is not a true man so who am I to argue? And we all know it's almost a prerequisite for everyone to take pictures cam-whoring at the Wall, right? Hell, even presidents and royalty have done so. Though I have a feeling I might give the Chairman's mausoleum a miss since queuing for hours just to pay a respectful nod to a mummified corpse just isn't my thing.

Curio shopping streets are of course a must so places like Liulichang and Wangfujing are a definite on my list. Not to mention markets such as Panjiayuan and Baoguosi! And before you remind me, yes I do know most of the supposed antiques out there are fakes or at least reproduction pieces ( and yeah, I know they are gonna try to fleece the hell out of an innocent like me ). After all caveat emptor! And we all know it's illegal to export the genuine articles out of the Middle Kingdom.

So we'll see what catches my eye. Even if I leave empty-handed ( how unlikely is that? ), it's still gonna be fun checking out the salesman's enthusiastic spiel.

Salesman : This genuine article! Tang Dynasty vase special for you! Look at the intricate carving, the lovingly decorated details! Been in the family for generations!
Paul : Seriously? Must have been hiding in the basement for centuries then through war and famine.
Salesman : Yes. Yes. Precious precious item. But since you're early today and you look like a decent discerning gentleman, let me tell you I give you very very special price.
Paul : For me? I am speechless.
Salesman : Yes! Because I like you, I give you really good discount.
Paul : Only a discount? I'm sure you can do better than that.

Of course if he really liked me - and he looked anything close to the delectable Huang Xiaoming, I'd be suggesting a private rendezvous at some steamy bathhouse close by. Screw the priceless objet d'art, I'd rather screw hot young salesmen over antique Ming furniture.

Blood Brothers
Checking out the merchandise...

Did I actually say that?

Bet Charming Calvin's shaking his head tsking away right now.

Plan to take in some Chinese Opera ( whether refined art or raucous din! ) though I'm still wondering whether I should add some acrobatic shows into my itinerary. Would I rather take in the sights of Wangfujing or should I watch some folks tumble on barrels and spin some plates?

I know Calvin's got a decent apartment not very far from downtown ( from what our taciturn fellow describes in his succinct emails ) but I've got an intriguing idea of my own. Gonna try checking out various courtyard hotels online ( quaint old places in the hutongs! ) though of course it's a bit hard booking places sight unseen. After all little pictures through the internet can only tell us so much. God only knows if the rooms stinks like a malodorous outdoor latrine - or even if the ancient tiled ceiling actually falls apart in broken pieces during the night!

But I guess part of the fun of travelling is taking that risk :)

14 comments:

Ryan said...

Planning for your vacation, huh?! I never plan. Lazy! I normally have someone planned for me. And I just follow.

Gosh, I guess that's why I never really enjoyed any vacation with friends, for we normally went to places I don't really like.

I deserved that anyway.

Sue said...

Sounds so exciting actually! You seem to have a jaded approach. Maybe it is because you live in the East already? I would be thrilled to go. Would Calvin mind if I showed up instead of you?

rainbow angeles said...

Have fun!!!

I must say... the 2nd pic looks... *sweats* :p

drownedglass said...

Ooh... I bet you'll be sampling all the dishy boys you can lay your hands on.

Oops. I meant 'dishes'. Sampling all the dishes...

savante said...

Don't usually plan all that muc actually, ryan :) But just want to prioritize some stuff.

Do I sound jaded? :O But Sue I've been raving about Beijing for ages.

Totally agree, angel.

Wish I could, ws. But I bet the boyfriend would have something to say about that.

Paul

Stephen said...

You should definitely see the acrobats, they really are incredible. Plus, think of all those hot men straining their muscles.

How long will you be there? Don't plan on seeing more than 1 or 2 sights per day. Beijing is huge, and not very easy to get around.

Anonymous said...

My Ex stayed at the China World Hotel while in Beijing for a Microsoft event. Said it was really nice. I have quite a few pics of he and his fellow co-workers traversing the Great Wall.

He brought me back a beautiful piece of Black Pottery.

Janvier said...

Travel routes etc have been planned yes? :D

Wonder how many pairs of shoes you'll burn through before the trip be done!

dadaist01 said...

oh my, lucky you to go for vacation at beijing! :P i'm planning to go china too but that will be at least 5 years after i started working lol... and screwing the salesman? there are lots of stories in chinese gay forums with scenes like that but let's not get there... lol

Unknown said...

nice..enjoy yr trip :)

conan_cat said...

oops... dadaist=me, sorry used wrong acc for posting comment haha...

Jason said...

Hm, I wonder what the Chinese guy there scream when being screwed?

"Shi de, shi de... da li yi dian!"

:P

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

Thanks for the visit doc paul. Have a wonderful time in Beijing! Is this some sort of a pre-research trip for the 2008 Olympics? Say hi to Yao for me.

Can I come with? It’s really easy to get a Chinese travel visa here in Manila. =) Naaah, I’m just kidding. Enjoy your trip doc. Keep us posted eh? =)

Re: the other post, Beyonce might also be coming to Manila this November. Might as well practice my Crazy In Love dance moves as early as now. Thanks for the visit doc savante, really appreciate you dropping by.

savante said...

Really? Will give the acrobatic team a look see then, stephen.

Calvin has an apartment there for the duration of his stay, tjay.

Defnitely will toss a pair before I come back, janvier. I usually bring two pairs.

Whoa. You gotta translate those kinky chinese stories for me, conan!

Thanks, soloact!

:) What can I say to that, jason?

Hope to have a great time there. Already gotten my visa, ruffnurse.

Paul