Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Flights and Fancies

Quite shocking really but I do declare that my latest flirt can be almost insufferable perceiving an endless amount of difficulties in the way of his goals. Spending my time convincing him of the futile nature of his endless worries only leaves me half-fagged to death. I swear I sometimes wonder if he has windmills in his head.

Heavens! I seem to be running on endlessly about nothing in particular, no doubt sounding quite as fatiguing as Lord Calvin. A lowering reflection indeed.

To be sure, I adore my tiresome beau but of late he does seem to worry needlessly about sadly trivial matters such as the tickets for his imminent return. Sincerely hope it's not the initial symptoms of the ague.

Bashful
When shall I be quit of this tiresome duty!

Since he has been seconded to that barbarous northern capital of Peking till the end of winter, I steeled myself knowing that I shan't see him till January at the earliest but in his last missive - delivered ventre à terre by the intrepid dispatchers, it seems that Calvin has managed to manoeuvre his way to a return ticket on the next steamer bound for the Malayas. By rights, one would imagine that Calvin would have been cast into delightful transports but instead he finds himself worrying instead over the quality of steam ships bound for home.

Unable to purchase last-minute tickets from our national carrier ( on account of some colourful local festivities, I believe ), he finds himself balking at the thought of recklessly casting his lot with a relatively new native company, quite certain that the shoddy substandard steamers would sink forgotten to the watery depths of the deep blue sea.

Calvin : Lost at sea! Oh woe is me! Is that to be my final epitaph?
Paul : Good heavens, my man. You're simply trying to hoax me! Now, pray tell me the whole!
Calvin : Me on an inferior tawdry carrier? God forbid! Almost shabby-genteel!
Paul : Then I believe you have no choice but to depend on the common ferryboats, m'dear. Excessively uncomfortable, I'm afraid, and certainly a step down for you. Quite beneath your touch, I'm sure.
Calvin : Blasted ferryboats!? You're shamming me!
Paul : Economical, I assure you! And it certainly would help lighten the load of your crushing debts.
Calvin : But why?

Back and forth we went - and I'm sure I haven't heard the end of this discussion. At the end the volatile fellow insisted that he'd rather throw himself off in a barrel rather than lower himself to the likes of ferryboats patronized by dowdy provincials. We shall see.

With autumn inching its way into the streets of Peking, I believe the chill in the air has infected his brain. Rather than participate in the orgiastic jollifications in store for an adventurous bachelor over in the wild uncivilized north, our brooding gentleman prefers instead to ruminate over wine and books in his solitary apartment.

No doubt counting out the numerous ways to hate Peking. :)

N.B. As you can see, this is a requested post by Charming Calvin after falling into the charms of Pemberley. Yes, I do requests :P Haven't written in this vein in quite a while so you can blame the oddities on him. And for those who haven't a clue what I've said previously, what it means is that Calvin's gonna be back in the next few days - if and when he finally gets his hands on a plane ticket.

7 comments:

clear skies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
clear skies said...

Whether he arrives by plane, boat or a carriage. I hope he arrives safely :D

(I obviously can't spell sometimes) ;)

Jonzz said...

LOL, such a complicated writing piece just to relay a short message!

Ferryboats? HA HA HA HA.. For a minute, you had me imagining someone actually taking one from China to Malaysia.

Michael said...

Screw that it's only Tuesday, this is my favorite blog post of the week.

::genteel applause::

Anonymous said...

A ferry? Bwahahahaha... just doesn't sound like him.

Hurrah, he's coming back!

Perky said...

Haha! What a creative way to announce someone's coming home =) I enjoyed reading it!

p/s: Nasib baik also you got explain what the post is about. If not I too would be equally lost at sea! (forgive me for the temporary blonde moment ;) haha!)

savante said...

It's by a plane, gaia :)

Now that would take almost a week or more, I'm sure, jonzz.

Thanks, Michael. Aim to please.

Weird but true, dan.

Glad you liked it.. now when are you gonna update, perky!

paul