Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Mission Impossible

Pretty much been labelled a shocking deviant by most of my friends. Not for the raunchy reasons most of you are thinking up at the moment though.

You see, a number of my friends are amateur photographers, keen enthusiasts all armed 24/7 with their trusty cameras wildly eager on getting that perfect shot. Hell, a single well-placed lamp-pole could garner fifty digital shots at the least. Lanky Lex even spends thousands on his supermagical photolens thingamajig. Even Big Bicep Barry practically worships his curiously accident-prone camera.

Zac Efron
Damn I look good!

For me, I'm the total opposite. Don't get me wrong. I do have a camera purchased shortly before my Turkish Expedition though I hardly snapped any pics apart from the awe-inspiring Hagia Sophia. Without my brother's regular nags ( himself also an enthusiast ), I doubt I'd even snap a single picture. Western Europe barely registered on my camera with only fifty shots - mostly the duly required shots of myself cheesily grinning at the Eiffel Tower, the Notredame and the Big Ben. Even the entire Australian continent has been summarized into fifteen pictures for me.

I always assume there are better pictures than the ones that I take ( hence my obsession with posters, postcards and souvenirs ) and hell, anyone else would make a better subject than me. No doubt if I looked like the impossibly perfect teendream Zac Efron, I'd have an encylopaedia of photobooks already. Probably with life-size posters to give away after each trip as well :)

Hairspray car ride
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!

But times are a-changing and so am I. So this last trip to Beijing, I made quite an effort in taking photographs as Charming Calvin would surely attest, absolutely determined to return with at least two dozen pictures. Did the victory sign at the Great Wall, squinted at the camera at the Forbidden Palace and even duly waved a miniature flag at Tiananmen Square. Terribly touristy!

Succeeded in getting the numbers I wanted but only barely. Try going around begging strangers to snap a picture - while wondering suspiciously if they're gonna make away with the spanking new cam.

Still it's already quite enough to fill up a scrapbook especially with the numerous mementoes I dragged home. Calvin has been charged to bring back some extra Mao badges for me to pin. Anything heavier and he'd probably cry. So no hunky muscular Chinese soldiers to clip to the pages though. But yes, I've found a new craze for myself and I've already gotten my work scissors, epoxy glue sticks, sheet protectors and other basic tools for scrapbooking.

I know. A friend told me I'm turning into quite the Midwestern suburban housewife.

18 comments:

Ryan said...

Working on a scrapbook?! That's sweet! It must be really awesome later on when you look back on the scrapbook. Sweet memories...

Anonymous said...

Get used to the frickin' camera for god's sake. :P

Janvier said...

Maybe a bit of Cherry-flavoured Hairspray might make you look more stunning? But yeah when you're by yourself it's tough taking photos. Although, it gives you a good reason to talk to hawt men now doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

hey, u alrite mate?

u dun hv to post this as a comment, the only reason i m putting it here is coz i couldnt get ur email add.

well, i was jus wondering if u could spare a small corner on ur blog to highlight the following missing child

http://www.nurinjazlin.blogspot.com/

i m requesting ur assistance coz i know u get alot of hits on ur blog and it might help spread the word faster.

cheers mate.

A Lewis said...

Midwest Housewife? In Asia? Hum.
And that Zac......god, I'm getting hot and breaking out in a sweat.

Jason said...

Hey, photographing is fun Doc! Oh well, maybe you'll just pose and let the others snap :)

Melvin Mah said...

Photography is awesome especially when you'e in a total new place. Even a weird looking flower by the side of the road deserves at least 10 shots...

Since it's digital...

Medie007 said...

if i were your family and sending u off travelling but coming back just with one picture, i'd really slap u... what for u get the camera then? lol

Anonymous said...

You're being tagged. Hehehe... Please refer to my blog.

mstpbound said...

awwwwwwwww that's so cute! ... although, you probably SHOULD worry that some person would just make off with ur camera after you ask them to take a picture of you. i mean, it IS China. ANYTHING is possible in china... :D

Ganymede said...

A scrapbook?! My my, what will you do next? :P

*heart heart Zac Efron~~~

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I prefer Zac Efron in Hairspray compared to High School Musical.

But then again, it might be all the alcohol-bases the hairspray has. =)

And oh, bloggers are supposed to be photogenic. It goes hand in hand with camwhoring. =)))))

Alex said...

LOL! You camwhored at China???? Should include you as one of those excellent examples of touristy camwhores...

If you want you rpix to be take for FREE, ask me. I got lenses and a nice flash to work with now.... I just need models!

Stephen said...

I take hundreds of photos. It's digital, why not? I blame my family, first time I went on holiday outside the UK, they lent a camera so they could see the photos afterwards. And now I'm quite addicted :)

expressmen said...

yes photography is really a nice field, even as a hobby. it thrilling. its exciting. by the way, i love the shots of zac. i am so into him these days, like all the twelve year olds...

poof said...

Dr Paul is having a little obsession with Zak aren't we?

savante said...

Yeah, gonna try my hand on it, ryan and queer rant!

And take pictures of me, myself and I, shane? Bleh.

True :) But usually hawt men are hard to find at such spots. All we have are old ladies with cams, janvier.

Will do so, anon!

I'm feeling all hot and bothered myself, lewis.

But I usually go around alone, jason.

No worries, lanky lex has been busy raving about photography, m5lvin.

Same question my brother asked, ah bong.

Will get to the meme soon, calvin! Thx!

Surprisingly turned out to be quite safe actually, mstpbound.

I loved Hairspray more too, paul.

Yup, took a few pics in Beijing, lex!

How do you achieve hundreds, stephen!?

I know, expressmen! And he's only 19 dammit.

Yeah, I'm obsessed, gauzzel. How didja tell :P

Paul

Cyclohelix said...

Merry Musical + Boyish Charm Cum Crooner = Nostalgic Bliss :) Let's bring back the love..hehe