Monday, September 17, 2007

You Can't Stop The Beat

You know that particular tune you can't get out of your head? Hear it once, twice - and then it keeps repeating in your head no matter what you do? Stroll down the sidewalk when suddenly it hits you again like a ton of bricks and you feel like dancing to the beat?

bop-bee-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba, bee-ba


Well, now imagine that you have an entire fuckin soundtrack playing in your head. Certainly more variety but it's driving me mad :) Not that I mind it. Always good to have a little bit of insanity going around in our dull mundane world.

Zac Efron
Shake it!

Ever since I purchased the soundtrack to the musical Hairspray, I've been playing it on constant rotation - even smuggled it into the operating theatre just the other day where I shimmied and jived to the traffic-stopping Link Larkin as brains were cut open on the surgical table. There was even a rumour going around that a cool cat in blue scrubs was doing the mashed potato whle raving about Ultra Clutch Hairspray in the empty theatre at one in the morning.

Which explains how I almost broke out into song singing about the New Girl in Town when I met Beret Bill today ( I already sang Good Morning Baltimore as I woke up in the morning though I didn't manage to hitch a ride on a dumpster truck on my way home ). Fortunately he managed to overlook the musically manic look in my eyes and shook my hand quite amiably - despite the fact that I was visibly tapping my feet to a brand new beat.

Since Bill was obviously new in town, I brought him for lunch with some of the nicest kids in town. Oddly enough when they finally arrived, there was no roll call as they walked in to swinging sixties music.

bop-bee-ba, ba-ba-ba-ba, bee-ba


With work calling, Lanky Lex and Jaunty Jared couldn't stay long though so it was back to the daily grind for them. Which left me to take Bill for a cool ride around the city pointing out the pretty sights ( a few outlined in his handy guidebook! ) blithely wondering whether he could hear the bells. Was a little afraid it was all in my deranged lil head so I declined asking whether he could actually hear them chime.

Wouldn't do to scare the tourists away!

Hairspray car ride
Why is she grinning away? Can she hear the bells too?

Yes, I do get occasionally obsessed. Can already imagine getting my words all tangled during the early morning meeting with my colleagues.

Colleague : Any questions on this latest procedure? Do you think we should implement this?
Paul : You can't stop an avalanche as it races down the hill, you can try to stop the seasons, girl but ya know you never will!
Colleague : Huh? You really think so, Paul?
Paul : Yes, after all... you can't stop the beat ever since this old world began. A woman found out if she shook it, she could shake up a man and so I'm gonna shake and shimmy it the best that I can today!

No doubt a psych evaluation will be forthcoming.

Note : Of course, this entire bizarre rant would not make much sense unless you've seen the movie Hairspray so what you waiting for? :)

17 comments:

J.L said...

I love HairSpray show, just watch it today

Ryan said...

Lol... I always have songs in my head. Normally I'll sing when I'm walking in the street. Doesn't matter what song.

Been unconsciously singing in the life elevator until all the people turn around to look at me, and giggled, then only I realized my singing offended them. No one asked me to shut up though. :p

Crazy Sam said...

I always have a song in my head.. (oops! ryan also says the same thing) I usually call it, 'The Song Of The Day.' I am obsessed with music. If it ain't comin from my comp, I will be singing it. :D

Janvier said...

Ok, to break off from the cliche, we don't need our iPod to listen to the music. Yeah, normally a single song on repeat but it isn't limited to that.

If it happens to be a song on a BodyJam tracklist even worse, we might move to the beat!

Zac Efron. So. Salah.

expressmen said...

hair spray is a nice musical. i love the songs, there are some that i am not particularly fond of, but the rest is really nice, but of course i have to admit i am a big zac fun, i will giggle like any twelve year old when zac is around

Anonymous said...

When I like a song, I'll play it non-stop, and that's the only song i'd listen to for days... Love Hairspray and the OST, I always imagine Link admiring my framed picture when I listen to Without Love. :) Btw, moved to Wordpress. :)

Imeku said...

Is Hairspray showing at the local cinema? Gosh! I am so outdated with the local movie scene! Too much pirated DVD, I supposed.

jay said...

Saw it even though I wasn't really interested and I loved it. You can't stop the beat!

A Lewis said...

Just walked by the theater and saw Hairspray on the marquee today....I haven't seen it yet. (But I used to use Aqua Net...does that count??). I love singing, humming, whatever, in public. I like to be noticed for singing. More people should.

Anonymous said...

Zac Efron. Child.

Medie007 said...

beware the patient whom head cut open starting to sing the songs on the soundtrack after the operation. lol... brains are just mysterious stuff.

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

my oh my, doc savante! do i sense a zac efron obsession brewing? after your chris evans thingie? =)

id better grab a bootleg hairspray dvd asap. before this golden opportunity passes away.

@shane, HOT, SCORCHING, EROGENOUS child. =)

Jason said...

*Jotting down to must-watch-list*

Anonymous said...

YEah, not bad movie. The only song in my head now is Britney's Gimme more. Hey, her disastrous life really bothers me, why? I can see the real me in every headlines she makes; essentially her ruined hopes and all..

Zyklon22 said...

Loved the movie. Purchased the soundtrack? Whatever for? Downloads are free. LOL

savante said...

Ooh I am getting obsessed with it, chester.

Doubt anyone would be rude enough to say so, ryan :) I'd smack them if they did.

You're not the only one it seems, crazy sam!

Doesn't make him any less sexy, janvier :) And you know how I like the forbidden.

Obviously I giggle as well, expressmen.

Oh that scene of him staring at the picture. I have it up in the next post, mark!

Just make sure you catch it then, imeku.

Loved it as well, jay!

After using Aqua Net, I'm sure you gotta watch Hairspray, lewis!

Nah, he's all man, shane :P

Yeah, never thought of that, ah bong :) How cute!

Definitely obsessed, ruff nurse.

Go watch it, jason!

Britney's song? Gotta listen to it again then, jd.

Gasp. You are like Calvin. I get the originals, zyklon :)

Paul

hbjock said...

I have the same problem. That soundtrack is constantly stuck in my head! Grrr :)