Saturday, October 06, 2007

Fuzhou Footsteps

Fuzhous are a peculiar lot.

Let me count the ways. For those who're wondering what I'm talking about, Fuzhous are a distinctive clan hailing from the treaty port city of Fuzhou in the province of Fujian, China. Proud, clannish and insular, yet the rambling Fuzhous have travelled far and wide ( due to financial necessity ) scattering across the globe from London to New York, from Kuala Lumpur to Sydney. And that's only from the diaspora of my own relatives.

Easily recognizable with their tall, broad physiques ( the better to till the farmlands! ) and fair, high-cheekboned faces, the Fuzhous tend to gravitate to each other no matter where they go. Which is why they frequently congregate in particular cities such as Sitiawan and Sibu. The better to enjoy each other's company.

Excessively loud, expansive and boisterous when together, they speak in a curious Neanderthal-like tongue not easily recognizable by those in other clans, a rapid-fire grunt-chatter of seemingly unintelligible gobbledygook. Surprisingly spoken only within a hundred mile radius of the city itself. The rare ability to speak in their archaic dialect ( to most curious outsiders that is ) would mean an immediate conscription into their shockingly exclusive society.

Yeah. Fuzhous are cliquish. But just make an attempt to speak their tongue and you'll be greeted as a long-lost blood brother.

Happiness
Hey, bro...

Which is how I found my way to a restaurant miles away from the city. Once I heard from my father that a restaurant run by a renowned Fuzhou chef has just been opened, I knew it wouldn't it be long after that we'd be having dinner there.

Yes. Just because it has a Fuzhou chef.

Hell, even if it was hosted in a lil rundown shack declared uninhabitable and condemned by the zealous authorities, the blindly loyal Fuzhous would still flock to their own I'm sure. That's if they don't hold demonstrations ( remarkably political folks too, these Fuzhous ).

Fortunately it was a reputable restaurant that resembled a hillside mansion more closely than the dump that I feared. My father couldn't have been more pleased to see one of his countrymen doing so well - was starting to half wonder whether we were all related. He even grabbed several brochures that I'm sure he's going to pass around for recommendation wherever he goes.

And what else would I have there but the Fuzhou red wine chicken and the celebrated fishballs. Though not in the overly generous portions that the people are infamous for - my own grandmother would have been horrified at their apparent stinginess.

If you haven't guessed already, I'm Fuzhou as well.

14 comments:

Ryan said...

I guess not only Fuzhou have this kind of habit.

Being a hainamese, my dad can act a little over-excited whenever he meets people of "his-own-kind". He would start off talking in the dialect which I understand but can barely speak.

Always, he still insist that I should start learning speaking the dialect even though he's proud of the fact that I speak perfect mandarin or 'pu tong hua'.

Medie007 said...

aparently, me and family always says hakka are the... 'chu chu lu lu" type....

Ganymede said...

*gasp

I didn't know you're a Fuzhou. Not like it mattered. :P

You're taking me to eat at that restaurant. :P

Aryaduta said...

I'm not familiar with the Fuzhou, but I certainly learned a lot reading your blog! Although the Fuzhou have their idiosyncracies, it's certainly to know that once a Fuzhou, always a Fuzhou. You have a whole support network waiting for you! :-)

I used to live in Singapore, and I believe that there were sizable Cantonese, Hainanese, and Hokkien populations. Unfortunately, I don't recall if there were many Fuzhou in Singapore.

I simply love Chinese cuisine, and I'm sure that I would have enjoyed the Fuzhou restaurant that mentioned in your blog! :-)

The Malaysia Traveller said...

cute guy! :P :P

East-West said...

My OH is Fuzhou too - from Sibu :-)

Cyclohelix said...

hmm, the restaurant in central KL featured in thestar? Yum :D

and East-West, we have alot in common :P

East-West said...

Cyclohelix

You mean your OH is also Fuzhouz or you have a lot in common with my OH :-) since you are Fuzhou and so is he (Sibu)! I am Hakka, anyway :-) from Cat City!

Anonymous said...

OMG.

I'm Fuzhou too! From Sibu. But if you see me, you probably wouldn't be able to tell since I lack the whole tall and broad physique. My genes were cheated on. Boo. =)

Sue said...

Clans huh? We don't have anything like that here in the US. Unless folks bring them with them. I feel cheated.

coolgardy said...

FuZhou is famous for one dish...is it the fish ball?

joshua said...

lol I LURRVVVEEE THE FUZOU FISHBALLS!!!

savante said...

I guess most immigrant societies share this trait, ryan.

Muahahaha. Don't let Calvin hear you say that, ahbong.

It's in Nilai, queer rant!

Gotta brush up my Fuzhou then, aryaduta!

No arguments there, eugene.

Seriously? That's the same combination as me and Calvin, east-west!

Whoa, what do you mean helix?

Hey! And we share the same name, paul!

I think the Scottish / Irish clans bear similar characteristics, sue.

You got that right, coolgardy. I think I mentioned it somewhere.

I love them too, joshua!

Paul

ernloy said...

my mum is a Fu zhou & i am always proud to tell ppl tat i am HALF-Fuzhou :P i am sort of more closely related to my mum's Fuzhou side rather than my dad's cantonese side but i speak canto,cant speak fuzhou well...bleh~
oh ya,i am a med student too! like to read on ur working experience :D