Sunday, October 07, 2007

Mountain of Shoes

Charming Calvin goes back to good old Beijing today.

But that wasn't what I came here to say. Calvin needs to pack. And he packs reaaaaaaaaaal slow. So I dragged him back early this morning and decided to wait him out by taking a nap while the phlegmatic guy ran through his tedious inventory, checked it thrice and painstakingly filled up his suitcase.

Calvin : I need to bring four medicated soaps, three dvds, two shirts and ...
Paul : A partridge in a pear tree!

Yes, I'm not much help in packing. Used to travelling light, I tend to toss everything willy-nilly into the satchel ( takes me less than half hour to pack seriously ) and pray hard the lot survive the harrowing journey intact. And not get transported to Timbuktu by mistake.

But when I came to his apartment, I found myself literally aghast when the door flung open. Horrified. Panic-stricken. Words escaped me for a moment as I stared unflinchingly at the changes that had taken place since he left.

No, I don't mean the clingy cobwebs though there were a few here and there. Detritus I can live with.

What left me blanching in terror was the literal mountain of shoes standing in our way. An obstacle of Pradas. A barrier reef of Manolos. A pyramid of Jimmy Choos. A volcano of Kate Spades. And yes, even the run-of-the-mill pedestrian Vinccis!

Happiness
My boots and I are not to be parted...

Yes, Calvin has a housemate! After years of bachelor solitude, women have finally invaded this previously sacrosanct bastion of manhood. And they have brought heels, brassieres, kitschy dolls ( Pucca! ) and a multitude of frilly feminine paraphernalia. Sure I love my shoes ( come to me my Bruno Magli leather boots! ) but her endless collection of heels has left me in sheer awe!

Since Calvin's gone from the place, he asked one of his friends - who providentially finished her apartment lease - to housesit till he returns. Steel, one of the original Calvinettes, has moved in and nothing will be the same again :)

13 comments:

Ryan said...

Aiks?! Did you guys have a great xxx... Erm... I mean great time before he left for Beijing!? LOL... kidding!

Anyway, I only have three pairs of shoes. One pair of sport shoes for gym or outing, one pair of leather shoes for work and another pair of slippers to go pasar.

Hmm... perhaps I should get myself a pair of branded Nike shoe!

Anonymous said...

Living with someone is kinda interesting. But when they take so much space with their crap.... ugh. :-)

Anonymous said...

i totally understand women [and gay men] with their huge amount of shoe collections. :D

David The Man said...

To have well-behaved housemates is surely nice, but some of those neighbours from hell can wreak a big havoc in your life. I once had a housemate in a college hostel who loved to blast his music so darn blady loud I think the whole 7-storey building gonna come tumbling down. That f**king dick-headed bastard son of the bitch! Gonna screw his blady head off!

Talking about shoes? Well, I have 6 shoes. Reebok, Nike, 2 slip-in leather shoes and 2 other sports shoes. And currently, the place (double storey house) that I rent has a hell lots of shoes! Most of them are old ones. And they smell horrible! Gosh... what a place! And I have bought a new apartment. Gonna move into it someday soon. Glad I'm out of that horrible place

daniel henry said...

OMG she can be my new BFF!!! hahaha!
i have... too many shoes too.
but they are soooo important ok!
(... a pic of those mountain shoes would be good...)

and Calvin is also my new BFF!!! i take... 8 days to pack before any trip... and... years to unpack... my tokyo stuffs since last year are... still downstairs collecting dust... HAHAHAHA! ;o)

ikanbilis said...

OMG. i go to the one in Penang, and I know you go to the one in Malacca, right? Mine is since 1816 and I think yours is 1826?

Anyway, my room is still stuffed with craps from USA after 3 months. And I have bunches of Old Navy flip flops together with old shoes. LOL. I hate packing and unpacking luggage and I rather pack you-know-what!

A Lewis said...

Oh, I'll strip him of those boots alright....good and proper.

Medie007 said...

kekeke funny.. hahaha

sorry to say tho, i'm pretty much a light packer with tonnes of shoes.. does tat makes me a half of elf and savante? savanelf... hahahaha

Jason said...

You'll miss him :)

Janvier said...

That shocked us a moment, thinking Charming Calvin to be a secret shoe whore! :S

sam zahri said...

dude, do u remember me? heh ..hows life ..???

Sue said...

She must be made of money to have all of those designer label shoes! At least she will be able to pay the rent!

Aryaduta said...

Calvin sounds just like me when it comes to packing! I take forever when I pack, and I'm never really satisfied with what I bring. I'm always worried that I'll forget something, so I end up taking everything with me!

I lived in Beijing for four months, and I absolutely loved it there. I'm jealous of Calvin now. :-P

By the way, you've been tagged! I think you were sad that Queer Rafter didn't tag you for a birthday meme! :-P