Monday, October 01, 2007

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest

Working in the proverbial madhouse can truly be surreal. I'm sure one of my best friends, a budding psych resident in the loonybin is gonna whack me over the head for being extremely non-PC :) Not sure how she remains utterly serene in the midst of the uncontrolled chaos in her madcap ward.

Saint Serene, we call her.

For those who haven't had the opportunity to step into the psych ward ( whether voluntarily or clapped up in a straightjacket ), especially the heavily guarded fortress-asylums, it can be quite an experience. Can even recall my first time quite clearly! Hasn't changed surprisingly enough today when I bumped into Serene in her ward!

Dexter
Look who's come for a visit!

Though you do have your Silent Sams lurking around the wards, that is easily balanced by the usual Manic Mabels greeting you with a cheery song and dance - much like the intrepid heroines from your usual cheesy musicals though without the usual accompaniment of adorable forest creatures. Though I'm sure they see some chirping mynahs and dancing frogs in their heads. Watching them with some royal disdain are the Snooty Sandras - who misguidedly believe that they're all descended from a long line of high-faluting, well-pedigreed royal family somehow unfairly deposed by a betrayal most foul.

And scariest of all, you have the Leering Lecters, hiding behind every pillar and wall glaring balefully as you walk down the corridors.

Of course the most interesting ( or could I say most peculiar? ) thing about the wards are the staff. Perfectly cool and blase going about their work even as the unwary inmates swing from the ceiling fans and kick up their heels on their beds - each patient happily marching to the beat of their own drummer ( you gotta envy them sometimes :) ).

But nothing seems to faze the nurses and doctors over there! Even if the patients got together, formed a conga line and sashayed past the counter while beating african drums, I doubt they would even bat an eye. As I stood there chatting with Serene, one patient even did athletic cartwheels down the hallway while another was busy serenading the visitors who walked by the wards.

Paul : OMG.
Serene : Mabel honey. No cartwheels in the hall. You know you might injure someone.
Mabel : Yes, doctor.
Serene : Thank you. So what were you saying, Paul? Lunch?
Paul : OMG.

I'm awed. I doubt even an earthquake could shake her calm composure.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Wow... looks like a party for me!? How can I join? Hahaha...

Nope. Never been to mental health hospital. Not even psych ward. But those people really live in their own unique world, don't they?!

A Lewis said...

You know, that movie (One Flew...) was filmed just down the road from us in Salem, Oregon, at the State Hospital there. God,that's showing my age, isn't it?

CRIZ LAI said...

I have been grumbling and shouting at the rest of my house mates for not helping out in the household chores. It has been months since they have actually lay some helping hands. So far, no one heeded my simple cries for assistance. Do you think they thought I'm a mad dog running around the house barking all the time? Must I go for a brain check up?? LOL

Anonymous said...

hmmm...wasn't the same case with me. Not to say that i've had more experience from you - far from it actually, but i do frequent the psych ward a lot, and yes, even the proverbial madhouse in perak. Far from being what you've described, they [the patients] were the one who's blase and blank by nature. Highly medicated i guess.

but i seriously do love to talk to them. they're the most interesting kind of patients you can find XD. I remembered distinctly one guy - who're so obsessed with Tun Dr M. He draws his pix, memorize his biography, and all that jazz.

I totally understand Saint Serene. One of the interesting line of specialization :D

William said...

Wah... maybe St. Serene has seen it all, done it all. :P

N.J.A.P.F. said...

I've found that not looking these patients in the eye seems to stop them disturbing/following you, any logic in that?